• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

GSPD sidestand problem

B

BOXERR

Just got my 1991 R100GSPD today, and was wondering if there is a fix, or option to get rid of that stupid retractable sidestand.
I need a left leg 12" longer than my right to get it to work.
I did a search, and found that a waste of time, bar reading about the Brown sidestand mod for some Airheads. Is this model available for the GS??

Try this site. http;//www.clockwise.plus.com/stand.htm. Years ago at a rally I saw a GS like yours where the owner took a lawnmower start rope with pullies attached at various points to pull the sidestand down. Unique.

It just takes getting used to! Yeah its a pain sometimes and Ive dropped her once because of the goofy thing. I catch the bracket as close to the toe on my left foot (sometimes I haffta wiggle my foot back on the way down).
Or....dismount first while holding the beast up then deploy the stand.
its an art!:scratch

I do it in two steps

Get the sidestand down enough to lean the bike on it a little

Then, reposition and finish the deploy.

Not really a problem, much better than iron solutions.

Once while seated on the bike I tried to use the toe of my boot to hold the side stand out whilst the bike and I leaned over. That worked but scared the jeepers out of me. I kept thinking "what if the side stand slips off my foot and retracts?", "what if the side stand breaks with the weight of the bike and me?"

Now I just put my left leg on the ground, balance the bike and get off. I then use either the side stand or more often the center stand. However, when the bike is loaded with camping gear and one of the bootlace eyelets catches on something, there are a few awkward moments while I either get myself un-caught, someone comes over to help, or I fall over. So far I've not fallen over.

Thanks for the replies.
I have been getting off, then using the centre stand so far.
I was suprised how ballanced it is to get off, then use the centre stand.
Couldnt do that with my R1150GS.:laugh

I see an add in On mag from Schneiders Inc for a Sidestand fixer bracket.
I cant seem to get on the web site, has anyone any idea what this is, and if it is OK??

I have had a sidestsnd fixer from Schneiders Inc on my R100R for over 10 years and it works great.

I have looked for his web site and it is gone.

John, do you have a photo of the fixer that I could look at?
I am reasonably handy, so could probably make something.
Any help appreciated.

I hook the stand with my heel, deploy it as far as I can, lean the bike over and roll back, then usually put it on the centerstand. I like use the centerstand as I've never had any smoke on start-up that way, helps to keep my fellow ferry commuters happy.

I also use a hockey puck:
69173092_qQjek-S.jpg

Keeps the bike a bit more upright than stock and provides a bigger footprint on soft surfaces. The picture is from my 650 Dakar, but the principle is the same.

Fixed the sidestand problem.:dance
Made up a new pivot pin with plate that has spring mount, and it works perfect.
Just a matter of repositioning the spring pivot point so it stays forward.
Not that much of a problem to use with left foot now that it dont want to come back all the time. Also easy to hook back before riding off.

Back