• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Getting Reacquainted With BMW Airheads

jhall

BMWMOA #24809
Getting Reacquainted With Airheads

I rode the 1995 R100RTC, 225 miles home last Thursday and, everyday since, have been tinkering with and riding it. Thursday upon arrival home, I placed two large fans in front of the motor and, fours later when it was cold, adjusted the valves. Friday I checked all oil levels. Saturday, I adjusted the foot pegs and highway pegs to match my 32" inseam (the PO probably had a 28" inseam), adjusted the rear brake and attached a spacer block on top of the pedal for max brake application. Today, I installed a Goldwing vent in the windshield, added a touch of RTV on the faring vents to keep them from rolling around sideways, did a Snow Bum "flapectomy" to the gas tank filler, and greased the throttle gears. I planned to re-plumb the overflow drain so it would not dump gas into the crank case, but found someone had already beat me to it.

I have ordered a Brown Sidestand with adapter for mono shock Airhead. I hated spending the $, but figured it was just a matter of time before I lay the bike down while trying to deploy the OEM side stand. Also ordered bar-backs, to bring the handlebars up 1" and 1.25". Will also adjust the steering head bearings while installing th bar-backs since they are a bit loose. Also ordered a Bing tun up kit, mainly in order to have a spare pair of carb diaphragms, as I recall they tend to rupture at most inconvenient times. Also ordered a grease gun needle adapter in order to grease the swing arm bearings. I plan to later order gaiters and fork seals, since the seals are leaking. I plan to remove the fairing air seals and just use the gaiters, as I did on both prior RTs.

So just checking things over and dialing the Airhead in to fit me best. Overall, I'm very pleased with this Airhead. I have now had the pleasure of owning a first year 79 RT, and now a last year 95 RT. So far, it seems the 95 is a better bike. I like that it uses regular gas, and the front brakes work better. However, the front brakes do not work as well as I recall they did on the 1988 K100LT I once owned. Since it's a K front end, the brakes should work as well as an early K, so I ordered one pair of Galfer HH pads, which I believe are the best available (will find out). Before installing the pads, I will deglaze and clean the rotor. It there's improvement, I will order pads for the other side.

I had forgotten how well the RT faring protects from the elements. It is definitely more protective than my GL1800 Goldwing. It is a real pleasure to ride, and hums along nicely at any speed I choose. With the Goldwing, Honda has figured out how to put a car on two wheels. I have nothing bad to say about it, but the Airhead is back to basic motorcycling, which I prefer at this point. Not gonna rush, but the Goldwing will probably go up for sale this spring.

Last edited:
Riding In Rain

Today I rode close to 150 miles in mostly light to moderate rain, as part of reacquainting with Airheads. As predicted, the RT provided more weather protection than the GoldWing. My boots got wet, same as they would have on the GW, but the front of my jacket remained fairly dry, much more so than if on the GW. The handgrips are in a still pocket of air, so I just used light gloves, but kept the grip heaters on.

The RT handled OK in the rain, but the rear brake is even worse when wet than when dry. So I downshifted more often to supplement the lousy rear brake. Did not try to do much leaning in to the curves; though I've grown quite confident in the GW's excellent handling in rain, still feeling the RT's capabilities out carefully. I also have a run-flat car tire on the rear of the GW, so there's a lot more meat on the asphalt, and it does an excellent job of siphoning the water away. I have lots to re-learn about the Airhead, and gonna take my time doing it. Most important, I did not get hurt, had fun, and maybe re-learned a few things about the Airhead.

Today is day #10 since I bought this R100RTC, and today rolled the first 1000 miles on it. Liking it more every time I ride it. Yesterday the IKON shock and Brown side stand came in, and I installed them both. Sure is nice to have a functional side stand, and the IKON transformed the bike, but now I need to tune up the front end. The IKON's spring preload was supposedly was set up for a solo rider, but I had to back it off six turns because it was too harsh. I only weigh 160-165 nowadays, so plenty of spring preload left, also have the damper set on the lightest setting, 1 of 4.

I had heard the mono shock R100s were detuned, maybe so, but this one has plenty of power for me. Its technology is kinda dated, but still enjoying it.

Today is day #10 since I bought this R100RTC, and today rolled the first 1000 miles on it. Liking it more every time I ride it. Yesterday the IKON shock and Brown side stand came in, and I installed them both. Sure is nice to have a functional side stand, and the IKON transformed the bike, but now I need to tune up the front end. The IKON's spring preload was supposedly was set up for a solo rider, but I had to back it off six turns because it was too harsh. I only weigh 160-165 nowadays, so plenty of spring preload left, also have the damper set on the lightest setting, 1 of 4.

I had heard the mono shock R100s were detuned, maybe so, but this one has plenty of power for me. Its technology is kinda dated, but still enjoying it.

I bought my friend's 1986 BMW R80RT in May. I had a 1986 BMW R65 new in 1986 until 1993. Since then I've had a Goldwing, 3 Harleys, a Kawasaki and now this Beemer. So I have been getting reaquainted with BMW's too. I'm interested in learning more about the pad you put on the rear brake pedal. I really have to search for it, when I brake. I've been riding my Electraglide for the past 20 years and it has a big car type brake pedal that is hard to miss. So this is a switch. I've been working on mine, including changing the bald tires for some new Metzlers. I changed my R65 tires and it's still the knuckle buster that I remembered. I always wanted the R80 or R100 RT model, but I had three little kids in 1986 and a disapproving wife so I bought the cheaper R65. So when my friend bought this R80RT twenty years ago, I told him that if he ever wanted to sell it, call me. In May he sold it to me. I still enjoy riding my Harleys but, I guess the RT design is etched in my brain. I remember going to the BMW dealer in Austin in the late 1970s, early 80s and sitting on the new RTs. I had a 1982 Yamaha, but it just didn't flick my BIC. It had to be a BMW. We had snow and below zero temps here last week, so I've winterized it. But I'm continuing to work on it, including touching up the paint with some that I found in Germany. BMW Yukon Blue is not an easy color to locate.
Have fun with your new RT. And if you can tell me about the brake pedal pad, I would appreciate it.

I bought my friend's 1986 BMW R80RT in May. I had a 1986 BMW R65 new in 1986 until 1993. Since then I've had a Goldwing, 3 Harleys, a Kawasaki and now this Beemer. So I have been getting reaquainted with BMW's too. I'm interested in learning more about the pad you put on the rear brake pedal. I really have to search for it, when I brake. I've been riding my Electraglide for the past 20 years and it has a big car type brake pedal that is hard to miss. So this is a switch. I've been working on mine, including changing the bald tires for some new Metzlers. I changed my R65 tires and it's still the knuckle buster that I remembered. I always wanted the R80 or R100 RT model, but I had three little kids in 1986 and a disapproving wife so I bought the cheaper R65. So when my friend bought this R80RT twenty years ago, I told him that if he ever wanted to sell it, call me. In May he sold it to me. I still enjoy riding my Harleys but, I guess the RT design is etched in my brain. I remember going to the BMW dealer in Austin in the late 1970s, early 80s and sitting on the new RTs. I had a 1982 Yamaha, but it just didn't flick my BIC. It had to be a BMW. We had snow and below zero temps here last week, so I've winterized it. But I'm continuing to work on it, including touching up the paint with some that I found in Germany. BMW Yukon Blue is not an easy color to locate.
Have fun with your new RT. And if you can tell me about the brake pedal pad, I would appreciate it.

I agree on large, easily accessible brake pedals, and love the Harley version. My 2008 GoldWing also has a large brake pedal that came with the floorboards. Every Airhead I have owned had lousy rear brakes, including the 1982 R100RT with rear disc. At this point it's hard to accept inferior brakes, so I am determined to improve this RT's rear brakes, anyway I can. So I added the pad, and consider it a first approach, to be improved upon later. Next version will be about 1/2" wider, 1/4" taller, and have a serrated surface. That will provide even more ready access, and pedal leverage. Here's a pic of version number 1.

20201102_135139.jpg

That's a good tip, from breaking my leg and complications I can't really point the toes on my right foot so I have trouble with rear brakes. Adding a bit of a lift would possibly make my R65 brakes a little more effective.

Back