• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Final Drive problem?

Jeff488

Aspiring Profligate
Changing FD lube on a 2000 R1100RT and this was on the drain plug magnet.
Bike has 115000+ miles on it, but the FD was rebuilt about 7500 miles ago. Pivot bearing was also replaced.
Is this the dreaded bearing surface chip thing?
The particles are shiny and when I got some on my hand, they looked like glitter.
Not sure of exactly what was done to the FD during the "rebuild".
The rear wheel has noticeable play when wiggled in the 3 and 9 position. Quite a bit less play in the 6 and 12 position.
Any opinions from those with more knowledge than I would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jeff

Attachments

• Rich's FD.jpg
    Rich's FD.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 216
Anything "chunky" is a problem; small and soft powdery probably isn't.

Did you have it "upgraded" from the factory bearings to the after-market bushings? Some people have issues with those; seems a re-check of the assembly torque is required after a few hundred miles.

There was a post in here not long ago that the clocking of the jiggle was an indication of which problem it is (maybe from Paul Glaves?); anything that's "noticeable" is a problem.

Yup - shiny flakes and wheel play are consistent with a bearing failure. Replaced the bearing on my LT just last week after feeling a slight vibration followed by chips and looseness. I cut the removed bearing apart and found spalling on the inner race. See pic.

Attachments

• img3254py.jpg
    img3254py.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 178
Well, it got UPS'd to Largiador yesterday. When the wheel came off there was play in both the pivot bearing and the wheel bearing.
When Anton gets it open we'll know more. He said the bearing failure is a symptom of something else not right in the FD, especially this soon after a new bearing. I'm sure he'll make it good.

Back