• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Final drive gone south

I hope that jinx creature is a myth. I am 3rd (or more) owner of a 2003 R1150RT with 94000 miles, 49000 of them are mine. No sign of trouble in the final drive or the transmission input shaft splines. I'm going to keep up with fluid changes and ride it like I stole it!

Voni's '94 R1100RS now has been ridden 416,000 miles. The final drive was inspected at 326,000 miles. The tapered roller bearing was replaced. The "big ball" bearing was fine and left in place. With the new roller bearing the unit was re-shimmed. Now 90,000 miles later all is still well.

Our final drives in Oilheads and K Bikes have the lubricant changed with Castrol Hypoy C (now renamed "Limited-Slip") GL5 80W90 gear oil at 12,000 miles intervals. I have used a MSO2 (moly) additive in our bikes since about 1985 when it was recommended by Oak Okleshen. I originally used Dow Corning Gear Guard but switched to Guard Dog Moly Lubricants additive in the 1990s. Guard Dog is no longer in business since the owner retired but the lubricant is still available from TS Moly and its distributors. Usage instructions vary from 5% to 10% additive in each fill. I use 10% the first time in a bike and 5% on later oil changes.

When it comes to BMW Oilhead final drives the Internet serves as a huge magnifying glass. While BMW has not released definitive statistics it appears that somewhere around 4% or 5% of the units have failed. Almost certainly the failure rate is less than 10%. But several/many units failed more than once. These might have suffered from machining errors during manufacture, but most likely were improperly shimmed and not correctly re-shimmed when reassembled.

A failure rate of 4% or 5% is way beyond an acceptable quality control target. But the assumption that they all fail is a social media driven myth.

Last edited:
I must be the only one in the country with a never serviced final drive. (2004 RT purchased new) with 135k miles. Only oil changes at same interval as engine oil and filter changes. (every 6k). And only used non-synthetic oil.
The highest mileage final drive I have rebuilt that didn't need rebuilding was just over 300,000 miles. It was from a K1200LT rode mostly in Florida. The lowest mileage failure I have rebuilt was around 8,000 miles.

.I change final drive oil as part of a major service at 12,000 mile intervals. The Castrol 80w90 is also just fine in transmissions.
Thanks, good to know a service mileage. I know I've changed the final drive and tranny twice in 10 years but I wasn't to careful what brand of 80-90w I used. Bought this bike with 40k mileage and now it has 66k so I wasn't to far off with the service. It does make you question the german engineering and hope they have improved the next generations. I really like the bike so I'll be keeping it for while at least and hope this never happens again. Not a good feeling.

Not to belittle a point, but where was the quality control from the factory that allowed 4-5% failure rate in the shimming process?

Not to belittle a point, but where was the quality control from the factory that allowed 4-5% failure rate in the shimming process?
Lacking of course. Sorely lacking! But the main point I would make is that while Internet chatter supposes that they all or most will or have failed. When in fact way many more than most haven't failed and never will.

It also speaks to the likelihood that some earlier attempts at the use of robotics didn't turn out so well.

My 1997 R1100RT went 150K miles on the original final drive. Then I was going to be riding it in the Iron Butt Rally and got nervous about the FD and had my local shop change the big bearing as a precaution. It's sitting in the garage at 220K so that's 70K on the big bearing and 220K on the rest of the FD.

The previous owner of my 1999 R1100RT had multiple FD issues and finally a failure around 60K that was so major, BMW replaced the entire FD. That one has about 60K on it and is going strong (so far as I knowšŸ¤ž). It's almost enough FD experience to have statistics.

I use 80/90 because Paul said so. šŸ˜

Back