• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2020 K1600GT - Final Drive Oil Chunks

jpruddyt2

I just had the bike serviced and new tires today at my BMW dealer in Port Clinton, PA. The mechanic there told me that he found what looked like chunks of semi hard gear oil that came out when he drained the final drive. The bike has 6300 miles on it. I purchased the bike from a BMW dealer in central PA last June with only 2100 miles on it, but wasn't sure of the history on the bike. I did e-mail that dealer when I got home today to see what, if any history they had and if there were fluid changes when they had the bike.

I attached a picture of what came out of the drive and was wondering if anyone had experienced this. It appears to me that it was either the wrong gear oil put in on it's last change (whenever that was), or the gear oil overheated, or both. Luckily there wasn't any metal shavings, or signs of fatigue, nor leaky seals.

I'm going back in two weeks to have the gear oil changed in the drive and see if the same situation reoccurs. Ruddy-Final Drive Oil Chunks-2.jpg

I suspect that somebody put moly-grease in the final drive and that it did not mix well with whatever fluid lubricant was in there.

I suspect that somebody put moly-grease in the final drive and that it did not mix well with whatever fluid lubricant was in there.

That's a good point, I didn't think of that. The substance wasn't hard, it had the consistency of putty and didn't smell burnt, more like a lubricant (or grease) smell to it.

I agree, some sort of additive that didn't work well. Ride it and change it until it clears up.

That's the point of changing it out until clean.

Appreciate the input. I just received the service records from the BMW dealer where I purchased the bike. Final drive fluid was changed by BMW service at 600 miles, see attached.600 mile service.PNG

That is the correct P/N for the finale drive gear oil. I agree that it looks like moly grease has somehow gotten into it. I'm sure Hermy's would not have given it back to you if they thought it was an issue.

Dunno how big that paper towel is, but some of those chunks look awfully big to be coming out of the drain hole.

Out of town for a few days, just following up.

The paper towel was about 8" on the narrower width. The smaller chunks are about 1/2" on average. The mechanic at Hermy's pulled them all out of the drain.

I put about 300 miles on the bike since this was found and the drive isn't running hot, or doesn't seem tight with rear wheel off the ground. I'm getting the fluid changed on Friday, 9/29 so I'll see how it looks.

Out of town for a few days, just following up.

The paper towel was about 8" on the narrower width. The smaller chunks are about 1/2" on average. The mechanic at Hermy's pulled them all out of the drain.

I put about 300 miles on the bike since this was found and the drive isn't running hot, or doesn't seem tight with rear wheel off the ground. I'm getting the fluid changed on Friday, 9/29 so I'll see how it looks.

Had the final drive flushed & filled today at the dealer. Big difference, few small pieces, but nothing like the initial change two weeks ago. Drive is running cool, no leaky seals. The machinic inspected as much as he could through the drain and fill holes and doesn't feel there's been any damage done. Still a mystery as to what this materials is. The service advisor did open a warranty ticket on it and there was no cost for today's drain/flush/fill. He also saved the particles from the initial change and today's change to submit with the warranty ticket. At least everything is documented.

I'm heading to Missouri next Thursday from PA, so I'm sure if there's any issues with the drive, they'll be sure to show themselves.

Couldn't agree more. Hermy's guys are great, both sales and service.

Quick update: Back from the trip to MO, no issues. Bike and drive ran great. Had the fluid changed this past Friday and although the fluid was a little darker than normal, there were no chunks. Back on the normal maintenance schedule. Still curious as to what caused it. More than likely a bad 600 mile fluid change, maybe a new guy doing the work, who knows.....

Quick update: Back from the trip to MO, no issues. Bike and drive ran great. Had the fluid changed this past Friday and although the fluid was a little darker than normal, there were no chunks. Back on the normal maintenance schedule. Still curious as to what caused it. More than likely a bad 600 mile fluid change, maybe a new guy doing the work, who knows.....

Always nice to have a follow up. :thumb

OM

Back