• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Final Drive Leak - 2014 GSW?

pjrider

I've got a 2014 GSW with about 9k miles on it. Recently when on a long ride out to Big Bend, TX, I noticed what looked like some dried black oil on the right side (opposite the final drive) just past what I think is the catalytic converter and then up exhaust pipe. It looked like it was splashed on then ran towards the back from the air drag.

Maybe I was paranoid but the back wheel also seemed to have a fine grit of grease on the wheel itself between the spokes. There was no active leak and I monitored it for the full weekend and it didn't appear to get worse but I haven't seen this before. I keep this bike pretty clean so I don't think it was an accumulation of road grime but it's a long 480 miles to Big Bend from my house so it could have been something I rode over or maybe a section of road that was being resurfaced.

Today, when cleaning the bike up I did this grease/grime on the bolt below. In the pics below--is this part of the final drive that can leak from a bad seal? An inspection didn't show any other areas of excess grease but now that the bike is clean again I'll be monitoring it.

A google search shows pictures of final drive failures leaking at the black ring past the black boot and mine looks fine as far as I can tell. But in the images of a final drive failure I do see that grime/grease mist that I'm seeing on my bike albeit in a different area.

Final+drive-1-small.jpg

Final drive 2 (1).jpg

Like I said, probably paranoia on my part but something got on the bike and I want to make sure it didn't come from the bike itself.

Thanks.

Last edited:
There is nothing to leak at the FD pivot pins. Grunge in that area is often a mixture of road grime, brake pad dust, and water. Oil on the right side (opposite the FD) could come from a leaky shock. I suppose if the wind was blowing just right oil from the right cylinder head (maybe a bad O-ring at the filler plug) could get to the rear wheel, too. You'd see it on the valve cover if that were the case.

Thanks, that's what I was hoping.

There is nothing to leak at the FD pivot pins. Grunge in that area is often a mixture of road grime, brake pad dust, and water. Oil on the right side (opposite the FD) could come from a leaky shock. I suppose if the wind was blowing just right oil from the right cylinder head (maybe a bad O-ring at the filler plug) could get to the rear wheel, too. You'd see it on the valve cover if that were the case.

Back