• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

cleaning & greasing my final drive splines

gtgt_bangbang

I could not get the last wads & smeers of whatever grease was in the spline section of my rear wheel,
using any combo of brush , paint or scrubber , gun or toilet, that I had in the rather large drawer of scrubbing implements.
The Qtips just kept coming out stained, and those couldnt get in the corners anyway.

I want clean.

And that was using multiple doses of the best de-greaser I know of, POR15 Cleaner Degreaser.
That stuff will take finger prints off anything . ... ... ... even off your fingers .....

so, I cut a modest bunch of bristles off a hohumm dust broom, used a heat-shrink tube to bundle them up into a brush ,
and made a tool with perfect size & stiffness & flexibility & reach to finally scrub tight inside all the crans & nookies & crevices in the hub.

I got clean.

I am going to use a krytox-like grease in there, this one called Tribolube, off the'bay
It a teflon-bodied base with moly additives, more affordable than actual kyrtox.
Mine is 2 OZ, and according to euromoto, I understand ~15gms is about the right quantity re-fill the splines

This particular Tribolube is an mil/aviation surplus , some years old ,
but one key feature of this family of lubes is their durability in the field & particularly long shelf life,
and the paste in my tube "looks" just fine.

btw,
if a good-lookin gal comes storming through here ,
asking how our new broom got a reverse mohawk,
just play dumb, ok ?

Last edited:
Back