• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Drip at botton of fork

andrewdell19

The botton of the right fork is dripping a bit of oil. Can I just replace that bottom rubber cap and that might fix the problem? Is there some sort of quick fix that doesnt involve replacing all the fork seals and having a fork service done?

Thanks!!

The bottom rubber cap isn't a seal, it is just a cover to keep dirt out of the damper rod nut.

You are either leaking out of the damper rod hole in the bottom of the slider, or a seal is leaking at the top of the slider and the oil is running down.

Have a look at a parts drawing, it help explain what's going on.

Regards, Rod.

The bottom rubber cap isn't a seal, it is just a cover to keep dirt out of the damper rod nut.

You are either leaking out of the damper rod hole in the bottom of the slider, or a seal is leaking at the top of the slider and the oil is running down.

Have a look at a parts drawing, it help explain what's going on.

Regards, Rod.

Thanks Rod. I have a parts diagram at home and I noticed the leak this morning. I didnt have time to look at it and I have yet to dive into the forks on this airhead. I did the fork on my k100 so hopefully this one wont be much harder.

Thanks again rod

There is also that big honking nut at the bottom with a large copper crush ring under it. It can leak as well. I stopped a leak there by putting another "oomph" on that nut.

Also, some forks leak oil out the fork brace bolt holes - oil travels out the threads of the bolts holding the brace to the fork leg and then down the fork leg and onto your garage floor.

Back