• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1976 R75/6 fork gators

cseltz

I am replacing the rubber gators on my front forks this winter. The front forks were completely overhauled a couple years ago but since the gators were new in 2013, it never occurred to me that they might need replacement. Is there a consensus on the easiest approach (top down or bottom up)? Thanks in advance!

I replaced the ones on my /7 a number of years ago. I did it from the bottom up. Still had to go through the fork alignment process to ensure no stiction. You have to remove the fender which is a built-in fork brace.

I replaced the ones on my /7 a number of years ago. I did it from the bottom up. Still had to go through the fork alignment process to ensure no stiction. You have to remove the fender which is a built-in fork brace.

This also gives you a chance to replace or clean the plastic stop (which might be dissolved into some goo or little plastic bit) that fits in the bottom 36mm screw plug. You'll also need a new big copper crush ring for the plug and a new crush washer for the 13mm nut that holds the pipe into the plug. Don't lose that bottom nut..13mm fine thread.

Bottom up

I always go bottom up. LOL, too heavy to remove the top down. Either way, you still have to do the check on alignment as Kurt mentions. St.

Plastic stop should be okay. Everything including the springs was new a couple years ago. It had 11 pleat gators when I got the bike and I replaced them with 11 pleat in 2013. I’m wondering if 13 pleat might be less stressed and might last longer. I’m also interested in whatever treatment folks are using to preserve the rubber.

According to Snowbum, the /7 began the use of the 11-rib gaiters, so yours should have 13-rib. Be sure you have the breather system in use which lets the area breathe as the forks move up and down. There's a roll-pin in the lower yoke which mates to a hole in the upper rim of the gaiter.

I would probably use something like Armour All on them. My bike is garaged all the time and I'm not riding as much as I used to, so the gaiters are not exposed that much. Plus the weather in South Texas isn't as extreme as other places.

Back