• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Help, Fuel smell around filler neck/cap

jwald51

I could use some help. I recently bought an 2005 R1200RT. It needs some TLC. I kept smelling fuel. I took off all the plastic around the tank thinking it was the quick disconnects. But they are fine. I see no fuel dripping anywhere. I believe there is something wrong with the filler neck/cap. It doesn't seem to seal off at all. I took it off the tank and every thing appears to be there. But the cap doesn't go down far enough to touch the tank filler tube thingy. The vapors are just coming out around the cap. It looks to be at least a quarter on an inch between the rubber gasket on the lid and the filler neck. What could be wrong here.

I don't have to push down at all. I can tell the rubber washer doesn't even touch the metal filler tube. I searched the microfish at Max BMW online and it looks like all gaskets are there. But with all the screws out you can just set the whole cap down on the tank and slide it around with nothing touching. This is really weird. You should have to push down some to seal the rubber washer against the tank. That makes sense.
20230606_172847.jpg

In the above picture you can see how far up inside the sealing washer is from the base and how high the lip is on the filler neck. No way are they going to touch?????

To me it just looks like a rubber washer about 1/8in thick. But you can see the distance between the rubber and the lip of the tank filler looks to be about 1/2in. Never will seal like that.

your whole cap looks thicker than mine. You have a ridge around the top, mine doesn't, but it is the right part number for an 05.
20230606_210733.jpg20230606_210824.jpg

jwald51, your cap looks like mine (2009) but my filler tube is different than yours (mine is orange). Google "r1200rt fuel tank filler tube" and look for an orange one. Part # is 16 11 7 708 067. MaxBMW parts fiche shows two different caps and two different fillers for the 05-09 models. Is it possible you have a mismatch?

Attachments

• filler tube.jpg
    filler tube.jpg
    1.2 KB · Views: 96
Yes I think It's highly possible that they don't match. I didn't see two different ones on the fiche, but I did look up and found an used orange one on eBay. And it looks like it sticks up quite a bit more than the one I have. I do believe you might have solved my dilemma. Thank you so much. I went back to the fiche and now I see there is two, and it says there is two different fuel tanks. I have fuel tank 682-839 and it takes filler tube 682-844 which I also have and they take cap 685-458 which I don't have. I have cap 706-777. Now I wonder if the orange filler tube will actually work with my tank cause its a lot cheaper than a new cap. what do you think?

Last edited:
In this photo tape measure was against the inside lip of the cap and since it sits flush when locked you need to add the thickness of that lip so the depth to the bottom of the seal would be about 13/16".

IMG-4437.jpg

In this photo the depth to the top of the upper lip of the seal surface in the filler cap is about 11/16"

IMG-4438.jpg

Thanks for taking the time on this. I have ordered a used orange filler neck of eBay. It was pretty cheap. Its worth the try to see if I can make it work with my tank and cap. I now am pretty confidant that is the problem. Mismatched parts.

I hope that works for you. If not then you will have to find the correct used cap instead. It makes more sense to me that part was mismatched then the other way around.

I agree that the cap is the wrong one. But I haven't seen a used one for sale and a new one is over $200.00. Hopefully I can make the orange filler work. If not I'm only out 17.00.

Back