• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2009 R1200GS - Fuel Gauge reads backwards.

cline123

I recently took the 2009 R1200GS for a warranty service on the Fuel Pump. I think the recall is an unrelated issue, but I am not sure. When I got the bike back home from service, the fuel gauge didn't work. The fuel gauge "ran backwards." When it was empty, it indicated full. Thinking I had a full tank, I went for a ride. After about 50 miles, I ran out of fuel. When I filled up, the bike said it was empty and although full, it shows empty and is flashing the empty warning.

Is this a fuel strip failure? What is going on?

Thank you.

Robert

Recall notice - Recall Campaign No. 13V-617:
This recall involves the fuel pump, and also the auxiliary fuel pump on GS models. Due to excessive loads applied to the fuel pump flange in the area of the fuel line quick connector during motorcycle servicing, cracks may develop in the plastic flange. Excessive loads can be generated during improper removal and insertion of the quick connector, or by removing the fuel tank prior to disconnecting the fuel line.
Further damage can be caused by corrosive materials or fluids in the area of the flange. Over time, this could affect the seal between the flange and the flange housing. Eventually, a small fuel leak could occur during engine operation. After the engine is shut off, the fuel leak stops.

2009 R1200GS - Fuel Gauge reads backwa

I recently took the 2009 R1200GS for a warranty service on the Fuel Pump. I think the recall is an unrelated issue, but I am not sure. When I got the bike back home from service, the fuel gauge didn't work. The fuel gauge "ran backwards." When it was empty, it indicated full. Thinking I had a full tank, I went for a ride. After about 50 miles, I ran out of fuel. When I filled up, the bike said it was empty and although full, it shows empty and is flashing the empty warning.

Is this a fuel strip failure? What is going on?

Thank you.

Robert

Recall notice - Recall Campaign No. 13V-617:
This recall involves the fuel pump, and also the auxiliary fuel pump on GS models. Due to excessive loads applied to the fuel pump flange in the area of the fuel line quick connector during motorcycle servicing, cracks may develop in the plastic flange. Excessive loads can be generated during improper removal and insertion of the quick connector, or by removing the fuel tank prior to disconnecting the fuel line.
Further damage can be caused by corrosive materials or fluids in the area of the flange. Over time, this could affect the seal between the flange and the flange housing. Eventually, a small fuel leak could occur during engine operation. After the engine is shut off, the fuel leak stops.

The dealer said the problem was the dreaded (i.e. expensive) fuel strip failure.

If you need some more background on the fuel strip, use the Tag Cloud and enter Fuel Strip. As you enter Fuel Strip you can see many selections on the subject.
At least you know what it is.
Good luck.
OM

Just a question. Has it been a pattern that bad strips show full when empty and empty when full? Or is it possible that wiring was reversed when doing the fuel pump recall? As I said - just asking!

Just a question. Has it been a pattern that bad strips show full when empty and empty when full? Or is it possible that wiring was reversed when doing the fuel pump recall? As I said - just asking!

I am not an electrician so could be totally wrong. The circuit in the fuel strip between pins 2 and 3 provides a reading based on resistance to detect the level and thus should work the same even if reversed IMHO. Please correct me if I am wrong.

How the fuel strip works
https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/1200gs-the-faulty-fuel-strip-thread.758453/page-3#post-18095884

Also on my 07 RT you would have to intentionally cut wires and reverse them to even accomplish this as the harness for the fuel strip will only plug in the correct way.

Zap It Fuel Strip Fix

I know it may sound very scary but check it out under fuel strip fix. I got my stuff at Home Depot and made a unit with longer leads. It works I have had to use it twice in the 36,000 miles of the bike. BTW the dealer had replaced the strip once and used the Zap Method on the bike twice before a tech told me to check out the thread. Problem solved dont even have to remove the tupperware just lossen it up. Dont lock the connector so the next time its an easy fix.

Back