• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Disappointed and Discouraged in BMW

Steve, have you ever been to the VW Classic at the Fredericksburg park?

2008-airphoto.jpg

http://www.texasvwclassic.com/

Dang, I will now!

We see all the VW's on US281 around that time each year , never researched where they were going/coming from.

It seems it is the weekend of Branson some years as we head home passing many groups of VW's.

I had a 62 Renault Dauphine in high school. Beat that...

Well, I didn't didn't have it until I graj-e-ated from Purdue, but I did have it, for a time. The mostest, funnest-est, car I've ever owned. 1600 cc, TOHC and 105 hp with an exhaust note that would curdle blood:dance

And a total sleeper to look at and not a catalytic converter to be seen.

66' MkI Lotus Cortina

1966_Lotus_Cortina_Mk_1_For_Sale_Front_resize.jpg

Not mine, but they were all the same color scheme.

1966_Lotus_Cortina_Mk1_Engine_1.jpg

Me either...59 panel bus with a 1600 engine and weber two barrel wedged in,heater...what heater? went thru two transaxles and a lot of stories,gave it to my older brother , I think around a 67-68 bug, short lived for some reason...got into small block chebbys and let it go, and a 74 superbeetle sold around 88.
My brother had a Ghia forever, always felt like you were leaning outwards in either seat, ...before his crappy Fiat two seater( about when I gave him the bus) and his PACER...he rides a Vision now:jester

Vision? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :)

Heater? When we sold our last bus, I offered the Coleman catalytic heater to the young couple that bought it. They said no thanks, we are moving to Atlanta. Oh Well. I left the plate on it so they could get to Atlanta w/o having to hassle with an Illinois plate and registration. Often wondered if they wished for the heater?

My '74 Super Beetle had a defroster with a two speed motor, AND it actually blew warm air. Something all my earlier VWs didn't.

Our bus had a gas heater under the rear seat and the '84 Vanagon (Wasserboxer) had the rear heater core there. I seem to remember getting cooked by both of them. Keeping the front windows clear was a different story. At -30 to -40 F, we were using an ice scraper to defrost the windows crossing the Dakotas in the Vanagon. I assume the bus was worse, but I was too young to ever get behind the wheel of it. My dad traded it in for a Rabbit in '78 or '79.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 2nd car was a Honda 600 Sedan like this one, but yellow.

Jon_LV_1.jpg

Yellow was a good color for this car, it didn't go very fast. We once got 5 UCLA students into it... briefly. It got 35mpg, and during the Arab Oil Embargo I found it humorous to drive into a service station (eg, someone came out and pumped the gas for you) and shout "Here's a five, fill 'er up!" I also got used to finding it on lawns and other out of the way kind of places after various parties and events. It died when a lady in a Chevy Nova ran a red light and T-boned me, but I walked away with a couple scratches.

From this I graduated to a VW Beetle.

Had a 59 Bug in high school. That little car would get around like nothing else in the winter. Did keep a scraper handy to use on the inside of the windshield though. Was on a double date in it and the back seat couple got a little "busy" and the bouncing shorted out the wires in the bottom of the seat on the battery. That was exciting! Also found out the car would float when the flood waters were a little to deep. Lucky it was standing water and not flowing.
Jeff

Thank goodness my '65 bug had a cover over the battery to prevent "bouncing" short circuits! :)

Well, I didn't didn't have it until I graj-e-ated from Purdue, but I did have it, for a time. The mostest, funnest-est, car I've ever owned. 1600 cc, TOHC and 105 hp with an exhaust note that would curdle blood:dance

And a total sleeper to look at and not a catalytic converter to be seen.

66' MkI Lotus Cortina

1966_Lotus_Cortina_Mk_1_For_Sale_Front_resize.jpg

Not mine, but they were all the same color scheme.

1966_Lotus_Cortina_Mk1_Engine_1.jpg

I recall a picture of Jim Clark taking a Cortina down a bobsled run...those were the days! (And he was the DRIVER!)

This thread really went off the rails didn't it? :scratch

But in a positive sort of way. Geezers reliving their experiences with the econo boxes of the day. I had a VW bug when I was 17. Enlarged the fender openings, mounted balloon tires and turned it into a dune buggy. We used to get on the beach at Sandbridge in VA and were able to drive down to the outter banks of NC. Would spend weeks down there at a time in the summer.

Last edited:
My friends Karman Gihis had a gas fired heater under the hood in the front.:thumb

I had one, but it never worked and I couldn't afford the cost of a dealership service appointment........Oh well.

Last edited:
Ah, the good old days. Transmissions locked in a single gear due to a little broken spring; frequent alternator rotor failures; acute wheel spline wear; once a year or 12k mile clutch spline lubes; missing circlips; wheel bearing races that spin in the hubs; diode board failures; GS driveshaft u joint failures at 30K miles; dissolving carb floats; shredded carb diaphrams; etc. Boy oh boy those were "reliable" bikes but only if you worked on them frequently. But they were indeed the best then available.

A "Dropped Valve" occurrence has been happening for many years in many cars, tucks, & motorcycles! It's usually form over revving.
1. High revs diminish the clearance/space between the piston and valve and the valve ends up being open when the piston is at TDC (Top Dead Center) and walah you have a collision!
2. Another cause could be bad timing when the valve actually hits the Piston and causes it to punch a hole in the piston and break of entirely, bend, or leave a few pieces in the compression chamber & cylinder as it gets hammered into pieces as the piston keeps hitting it until the engine locks up or explodes.
3. When an engine is subjected to long high revs, the exhaust valves do not have time to cool between strokes. The head of the valve, at its base, will overheat and separate from the stem. The length of the valve then is being extended by the excessive heat and stretching. This would allow the valve to hit the piston.
4. The fourth cause, but very rare, could be bad metallurgy.

In most cases, high revs probably weakened and stretched the valve's face to stem end length and it just waited to come apart after you got it.
Whether you or the previous owner "Over Revved" the engine is the "Big" question and I am not inferring that you did, But I would suspect that the bike had been as the ole saying goes "Rode Hard & put up wet" a few times at least!
This is just "MYH", but what do I know I've only been in the business for over 50 years!

This is an example of and exactly why I will not buy a used vehicle! You never know how it has been maintained!!!!

A "Dropped Valve" occurrence has been happening for many years in many cars, tucks, & motorcycles! It's usually form over revving.
1. High revs diminish the clearance/space between the piston and valve and the valve ends up being open when the piston is at TDC (Top Dead Center) and walah you have a collision!
2. Another cause could be bad timing when the valve actually hits the Piston and causes it to punch a hole in the piston and break of entirely, bend, or leave a few pieces in the compression chamber & cylinder as it gets hammered into pieces as the piston keeps hitting it until the engine locks up or explodes.
3. When an engine is subjected to long high revs, the exhaust valves do not have time to cool between strokes. The head of the valve, at its base, will overheat and separate from the stem. The length of the valve then is being extended by the excessive heat and stretching. This would allow the valve to hit the piston.
4. The fourth cause, but very rare, could be bad metallurgy.

In most cases, high revs probably weakened and stretched the valve's face to stem end length and it just waited to come apart after you got it.
Whether you or the previous owner "Over Revved" the engine is the "Big" question and I am not inferring that you did, But I would suspect that the bike had been as the ole saying goes "Rode Hard & put up wet" a few times at least!
This is just "MYH", but what do I know I've only been in the business for over 50 years!

This is an example of and exactly why I will not buy a used vehicle! You never know how it has been maintained!!!!

All yes - but - this particular model motorcycle has a rev limiter that will effectively prevent the engine revving faster than the engineers think is safe.

I have to disagree. As stated by Mr. Glaves, for the past many years I don't know of many vehicles which don't have a rev limiter. (My knowledge of diesels is limited). As well, with many bikes revving to 10, 12, and 14 thousand rpm, I believe the manufacturers have valve control under, uh, control.

Back