• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Desperate to find her:

dingusjaeger2

I currently have two beautiful airheads, 75 R90/6 and 78 R80/7, but I am trying desperately to find the 1977 R100RS, VIN 6180956, that I sold in 1981. I sold her so that we could money down on our first house. Because the VIN is only seven digits all the usual VIN search engines are not helping. If anyone knows where she is I would be very grateful. She had a very distinctive paint job.
Any help or ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• BMW II.jpg
    BMW II.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 214
  • BMW III.jpg
    BMW III.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 214
Well you are certainly casting a large net. Good luck with the quest. I'll nose around for the S/N at the 40th anniversary R100RS gathering. Could have been repainted by now.

http://www.ibmwr.org/rs77/6180956.htm

If you find it and it still has the Motosport paint scheme, I have the perfect Heinrich tank for it...

DSC05656-M.jpg

Lee Dickinson

Welcome to the forum! Those VIN websites really only provide you with bare information about the building of the bike...nothing there about who has it or was sold to. They have the Carfax service which I guess provides some info on car's histories...not sure what's out there for motorcycles.

... large net indeed. A little geographic information might help narrow down the search. Like, say, North America, or Kentucky, something like that... ;)

Oh yeah.... welcome aboard.

Good luck with your search.

On the opposite side of the spectrum, I've always wanted to re-unite with the original owner of my '74 R90s (Larry Bralen from Farmington Hills, MI).

I bought the bike in 1980 and still have it, with 140,000 miles, with stops in 40 states, CA and MX. I believe he sold it due to divorce and he was pretty upset when I pulled away. After 37 years of ownership, I can sympathize.

Not sure I could handle selling her either. :(

Nice looking bike. If you are able to find her and reastablish a relationship with her, she will not hold it against you that you sold her off like some cheap merchandise. Just 'teasin'. Good luck with your search, Barry. :wave At one time I knew the location and owners of the first 4 '77 R100RS's sold out of the BMW dealer in Memphis, Tn.. I got to help restore/freshin up one of them back around 1995. I also did the heads and bored out the exhaust to accept the larger exhaust manifolds. What a nice bike to ride. Just remembered, I got the chance to ride with the original owner many times back in the day. RIP Art, you were on point when you bought it back in '77.

The OPs VIN number is on this list:

http://ibmwr.org/rs77/rs77list.htm

Say "6/17 Mike" which is the last time it was updated. There is an email at the top of the page...try and make contact and see if they can provide any help.

Oooops...sorry, just discovered that our OP is the one who made that entry. Nothing to see here...moving on!! :hide

Still looking:

I have to apologize, but I am a bit new to this whole forum thing and don’t quite have the mechanics down yet. Thanks for the words of encouragement. I have to believe she is out there and I can find her. I will certainly shout it from the rooftops if I do. I have the time, interest and means to continue, so that is what I will do. Cheers, Mike

Attachments

• Mike and R90.jpg
    Mike and R90.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 129
I currently have two beautiful airheads, 75 R90/6 and 78 R80/7, but I am trying desperately to find the 1977 R100RS, VIN 6180956, that I sold in 1981. I sold her so that we could money down on our first house. Because the VIN is only seven digits all the usual VIN search engines are not helping. If anyone knows where she is I would be very grateful. She had a very distinctive paint job.
Any help or ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Really NICE!! BTW...what kind of pannier 'hoops' / mounts are those?

For sure good luck with your hunt, hope ya find it.

Looks like Wixom bags...I have a set on my R100/7.

Ah...Wixom [top load]? I have a set of Bates hard bags [top-load] from 'back-in-the-day' as they say. I think they would look good on an Air-Head....or maybe even a Nine-T . Probably going against the grain here but.....I prefer top-load.....jmo

I have to apologize, but I am a bit new to this whole forum thing and don’t quite have the mechanics down yet. Thanks for the words of encouragement. I have to believe she is out there and I can find her. I will certainly shout it from the rooftops if I do. I have the time, interest and means to continue, so that is what I will do. Cheers, Mike

That is one fine looking R90/6; I'm glad you still have it. I've gotta thing for /6's. :thumb:thumb

Duane Ausherman has pictures of Wixoms on his site:

http://www.w6rec.com/duane/bmw/bags/wixom/index.htm

Thanks Kurt....

When ever I look at photos of the older/vintage motorcycles [of course BMW in particular] they are much more appealing too me than the 'current'? models. Perhaps my age?....But I think it is more than that? I have said before that if certain models were [re-produced] today ....I believe they would sell, and sell well?.

Can you imagine a brand new, 5-600 pound, 1000cc motorcycle , 75? hp, kick & electric start , reasonable & attractive accessories available , etc. & so-on...$10.000.....They couldn't make them fast enough........jmo

Back