• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Can't Remove RDL Saddle from New RT

I took delivery on a 2023 RT yesterday but have encountered a problem and wanted to see if anyone has any ideas.

I swapped a Russell Day Long saddle from my 2014 RT over to the new one. It mounted fine but now the key in the seat release won't turn and I can't get it off.

A number of people have suggested pushing on it but that didn't work. If I turn the key while sitting on it I can feel the mechanism move under the seat but it still won't unlock. I even tried standing on the saddle with the bike on the center stand and having my wife try to turn it, but still no luck.

Any ideas? All I have at this point is to ride for a an hour or so if the weather is warm enough and hope that loosens it up a bit. Failing that, all I can think of is seeing if the dealer can remove the locking cylinder and then try to file the seat down a bit. I'd hate to lose the saddle since I have $800 in it.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Is the seat pan still keyed to your previous bike? If so, you’ll need the key (or spare) from your previous bike to get it off.

It's keyed correctly -- the salesman removed the stock seat to swap over to my trade in.

I think I’m missing something so I apologize in advance if I’m just not getting it; the action of the salesman does not fix the problem. The stock seat was keyed to the new bike, the RDL was keyed to the old bike. Unless the salesman took the RDL to the service department and had the techs “re-key” the tumblers on the seat lock it is still keyed to your old bike.

I did the same, moved my RDL from 14R1200RT to 22R1250RT and swap out the lock, easy 3 screws. I think you need to push in the back of the front seat in the center of it, while turning the key. A word of advice be careful with that key you don't want it to break in the fob. I purchased a spare non chipped key like the old days.

I did the same, moved my RDL from 14R1200RT to 22R1250RT and swap out the lock, easy 3 screws. I think you need to push in the back of the front seat in the center of it, while turning the key. A word of advice be careful with that key you don't want it to break in the fob. I purchased a spare non chipped key like the old days.

There is no key mechanism on the seat itself. The locking cylinder is part of the bike.

There is no key mechanism on the seat itself. The locking cylinder is part of the bike.

The key is part of the rear seat, the part that locks the seats down connects at the back of the front seat. I'll take pictures if needed.

Last edited:
Just a WAG - Possibly you're not pushing down with the "right" amount of force: not enough and you're hung up on one side of the latch, push down too hard and you're hung up on the other side of the latch.

On some bikes, this is adjustable. On my 1150, for instance, the fore/aft bar under the passenger seat can be adjusted up and down a little to get the sweet spot.

If both front and rear seats were swapped, the old seat lock cylinder and mechanism is on the new bike. Re-keying will be easier if the old key is available. Go back to the dealer before they sell your old bike.

If only the front seat was swapped, the RDL is putting unexpected pressure on the latch mechanism. I'd expect some downward pressure on either the front or rear seat near the mechanism should release it, possibly while also trying to push the front seat to the front or rear at the same time.

If both front and rear seats were swapped, the old seat lock cylinder and mechanism is on the new bike. Re-keying will be easier if the old key is available. Go back to the dealer before they sell your old bike.

If only the front seat was swapped, the RDL is putting unexpected pressure on the latch mechanism. I'd expect some downward pressure on either the front or rear seat near the mechanism should release it, possibly while also trying to push the front seat to the front or rear at the same time.

I think you've solved it. I was convinced that the lock cylinder was park of the bike frame rather than the rear seat, but it's not. So the problem is that the bike I traded has a rear seat keyed for my current bike, and vice versa. I just need to get to the dealer and have them swap the two.

Thanks everyone.

I think you've solved it. I was convinced that the lock cylinder was park of the bike frame rather than the rear seat, but it's not. So the problem is that the bike I traded has a rear seat keyed for my current bike, and vice versa. I just need to get to the dealer and have them swap the two.

Thanks everyone.

Rockbottom, like I said in post #5 you'll need to swap out part number 5 in your illustration. It's very simple but you'll need the correct key to open the lock. Once open remove the front and rear seat, unscrew (3 screws) part #5 exchange it with your trade in bike. No need to remove or re-key lock cylinders. Enjoy your new RT!

Rockbottom, like I said in post #5 you'll need to swap out part number 5 in your illustration. It's very simple but you'll need the correct key to open the lock. Once open remove the front and rear seat, unscrew (3 screws) part #5 exchange it with your trade in bike. No need to remove or re-key lock cylinders. Enjoy your new RT!

I'm looking at this as a dealer issue--they knew I was swapping the old and new seats so they should have dealt with it during the sale. Currently, they have as much of a problem as I do since they can't remove the seat from my trade in since I have the keys for that lock. So my plan is to ride there tomorrow and let them fix it.

Last edited:
I'm looking at this as a dealer issue--they knew I was swapping the told and new seats so they should have dealt with it during the sale. Currently, they have as much of a problem as I do since they can't remove the seat from my trade it since I have the keys for that lock. So my plan is to ride there tomorrow and let them fix it.

Good plan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm looking at this as a dealer issue--they knew I was swapping the old and new seats so they should have dealt with it during the sale.

Unfortunately, I think you are giving the dealership more credit for what they know than they deserve. I am sure somebody at the dealership would know about those seat locks but not necessarily the one who needed to know that detail.

Unfortunately, I think you are giving the dealership more credit for what they know than they deserve. I am sure somebody at the dealership would know about those seat locks but not necessarily the one who needed to know that detail.

+1

I would call the dealer ASAP and fill them in. The disconnect at so many repair/dealerships let’s me believe they have already “forced” the seat lock…….. thinking it was either broken or the key has been lost.
Good luck.
OM

Rockbottom......what was the outcome of this problem? solved? How?

Yeah--I was an idiot. I'd forgotten that the lock cylinder is part of the passenger seat so when I moved my RDL from my trade in bike to the new one, the dealer forgot to change the cylinders. So my first ride on the new bike was 72 miles bike to the dealer to get it done. I apologize for wasting everyone's time. 20230113_123533.jpg

Back