• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BRITS in BMW MOA

The Two Brothers exhaust system isn't acceptable in the UK, so a new end can is needed before it can even be put through the MOT (our road worthy test for all vehicles over 3 years old). The test is on Friday, then I get the paperwork, which can then be processed to get the bike registered.

Ey Up

Hi All

Just caught up on the thread, its been a while. Whilst moving to NJ was great for every weekend off it does not allow me the simple pleasures of surfing through my favorite forum.
Tried calling a couple of times Statdawg just to see if you were free, must be out and about, you and your busy social life
Nice to see you venturing into Yorkshire lamble and some very familiar sights. Nice folk...
Wish I could have some black pudding right now ! oh and a pint of timmy taylor's
I always thought we had some awesome biking roads in the pennines
However I am now a convert as I have been exploring the Poconos, Adirondacks and Catskills and I have never had so much fun.
Finished a weekend camping with the yankee Beemers, from 4pm fri until 2 pm Sunday managed 810 miles, numerous liquid refreshments and some camp fire bar-be-cue. Probably did nearly every road in VT and some, even visited Lake George
Hope all is well with every one

:bikes

Gosh you're young. "Are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin." I remember Listen with Mother, Andy Pandy, and the "Woodentops" when I was a nipper. I remember a time when having a telly was a big deal. The first show I remember watching on our rented Tv was the "Lone Ranger". I guess that you're from the Magic Roundabout era or later. "Time for bed".

What about "The flower pot men" Bill And Ben?

On three, one , two, three, Spotty dog walking on the spot...I'm sure that was the basis for every aerobics class across the UK.

Poggles Wood was niche and I once won a knitted clanger in a raffle. We had a small yorkshire terrier who would shag it vigorously...oh those yorkshire girls!

What about "The flower pot men" Bill And Ben?

From the way they spoke, they must have been smoking "little weed" but hush now, here comes the gardener, time for an afternoon nap.

Bought some Branston yesterday, to go with some real cheese, remember that's the stuff made from un-pasturized milk, where there's favour and not just colour and a texture like a flip flop.
And hey did you notice, the "u" has returned in colour since I repatriated.
If any of you are ever considering doing likewise, here's a tip from my ongoing nightmare...sell you bike in the USA and don't ship it back.

Last edited:
Is it an urban myth that in Captain Pugwash there are characters called Seaman Staines and Roger the Cabin boy?

I do hope not.

But what comics, Dandy or Beano, you had to be one or the other, bit like being a Blue Peter or a Magpie?
Whizzer and Chips, Score, Eagle or something else?

Did you ever buy one just for that triangular cardboard device, a thunder thwacker, then take it to school, just to get it confiscated?

Okay get ready. If you ever think of moving back, or indeed moving over here and want to bring your bike/s, don't, it's a nightmare.

Today, having spent a couple of months dealing with customs, custom's website, shippers (who were shiite beyond belief-here's a tip, get in touch with Globe Busters the bike travel company they can help-I found out too late), then the DVLA, driver vehicle licensing authority and their website and their call centre, BMW Motorad and their customer help call centre and then their useless un-friendly homolgation department, the VOSA a vehicle testing authority and another government web site and call centre, I finally got back to a point where I was in front of someone, or not as the case turned out to be.
VOSA have a centre where you take your bike because BMW don't have a certificate of conformity for my bike, or any US bike I believe. There you will join a queue of truckers, if you happen to be in Liverpool region. Two girls are at a counter. You will get to the front and they'll look at you blankly when you say the word "motorcycle". You will then be sent to find Phil. Once found, Phil will tell you to fill the form in, which you should have from the VOSA website. I had it and I filled it in for Phil. Phil will then send you back to rejoin the trucker queue. Now remember you've already been here once and they looked stupefied, so it won't feel promising.

You'll get to the front and say, "motorcycle sva test booking please".

Now at this point it's worth recalling the millions of pounds of tax payer's money that you have seen spent on this technologically slick and integrated system designed to simplify the collection of data critical to maintaining the well-being of the road system. You will recall the number of people that batted you round the call centre, once you managed to cascade through the endless options. You will no doubt recall all the time doing the work yourself, because despite all the man power that is employed to help, the best they could ever do was direct you to a tosspot of a website, where you couldn't quite find anything that fits in with your specific requirements and therefore required another session with the call centre at VOSA, who then tell you the DVLA are the people you needed in the first place and "have you seen their website or been in touch with the DVLA call centre?" and you say, "not yet," but know all they will eventually do is refer you back to the person who is currently speaking to you at VOSA after having been through their call centre options, the joy of being passed from pillar to post and the obligatory refer to our website/call them back scenario, at least twice,...so do not be surprised when the same two counter attendants look at you and say..."We don't do bikes. You need to speak with Anne". That's right, WE DO NOT DO BIKES, YOU NEED TO SPEAK TO ANNE".
So, at the end of these millions of pounds of bureaucratic fiasco, annoyance and ignorance, there's Anne, just Anne, the only person capable of sorting out several months of anxiety and stress...just Anne.
"So can I speak with Anne please?"
"She's away on indefinite sick leave".

And that's where the whole system goes completely and utterly arse up and finally farts in your face. Anne is away and all those millions, all those call centres, the whole mechanics of government stop.

I was less than impressed. I passed on my lack of being impressed to the two girls as effectively as possible, without causing offence.

A few calls were made and now my bike is booked in for its test next Monday. It appears Anne is not indispensable after all.

So that's all sorted out, done and dusted.

Not so fast. That would just be too simple wouldn't it?

Monday is the day the BMW dealer, who currently stores my bike, is closed. I am allowed one ride to the test centre and then another to a suitable place for any modifications if it's not passed. But if the dealer is closed, I'll need to get the bike on Saturday and ride it somewhere.
I called in at the police station. "You will be riding illegally and will be fined if we stop you".

So there you have it. A smooth integrated system, that falls to pieces when one person falls ill and can't be fulfilled anyway unless you have a car and bike trailer.

What a complete load of Taurus turds.

Come over as a tourist with your bike, that's just a snip in comparison, although you will be charged and have paperwork to do which will make a Nicaraguan border crossing seem like a picnic and a bargain. Just don't bring your bike over with the intention of registering it here, Customs don't want you to do it, the DVLA will hate you, BMW Motorad won't even speak to you, VOSA won't know what the hell you are talking about unless Anne is there and the Police will be looking to issue you with a fine and penalty points if they can, and as if this isn't enough, they will all charge you money while taking the piss, for example, a question on a form today...what is the weight of your battery? Who knows that? I asked if they meant a battery that was fully charged or flat? Well they started it!!!!

Walkers Crisps.
http://www.walkers-crisps.co.uk/flavours/default

Cajun Squirrel Flavour potato crisps...honest!
There were six new flavours in the trial

Cajun Squirrel
Chilli and Chocolate
Builders Breakfast
Crispy Duck and Hoisin
Fish and Chip
and Onion Bhaji

1.2 million flavour nominations with one that will be added to the range. And the winner is.....

Sorry you Cajun's it's not your Squirrel
Sorry to the Chinese and Indian's too
And Mayan's step aside, the winner was Builder's Breakfast flavour crisps

Sorry but no Cigar

Is....drum roll, tension building silence.....the.......

Correct Answer!!! Ta daaaa!
Hogsmeade, the town where Hogwarts is located. In the story this is set further north in Scotland, where as Settle is in Yorkshire.

I was there last week (the Station not Hogwarts) and then lo-and -behold, up it pops on Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone, that the family were watching on TV. Obviously there are some cgi effects added too, but yep, Settle Station.

Correct that's Settle station. My old Ma lives just down't road. Supprised you didn't drop in for a cuppa.
The actual location for Hogsmeade Station is Goathland on the North Yorks Railway
www.goathlandstation.org.uk/ also used as Aidensfield Station on Heartbeat.
F.Y.I. "The Railway Children" (original version - young Jenny Agutter) was filmed on the Keighley-Worth Valley Railway. Not sure about Mk2.
about 30 miles South of Settle.
Dripping and Marmite Sandwiches mmmmmmm...........
Don't forget Noddy and Big Ears (who incidentally was gay).
Captain Pugwash's crew cotained Seaman Sam and Master Bates.
Can't understand how it wasn't picked up. Perhaps there was some Goon influence in the writing.

Correct that's Settle station. My old Ma lives just down't road. Supprised you didn't drop in for a cuppa.
The actual location for Hogsmeade Station is Goathland on the North Yorks Railway
www.goathlandstation.org.uk/ also used as Aidensfield Station on Heartbeat.
F.Y.I. "The Railway Children" (original version - young Jenny Agutter) was filmed on the Keighley-Worth Valley Railway. Not sure about Mk2.
about 30 miles South of Settle.
Dripping and Marmite Sandwiches mmmmmmm...........
Don't forget Noddy and Big Ears (who incidentally was gay).
Captain Pugwash's crew cotained Seaman Sam and Master Bates.
Can't understand how it wasn't picked up. Perhaps there was some Goon influence in the writing.

Shock Horror!!!! :ear :hug :nod Which one was gay, Noddy or Big Ears?

Well I always thought it was Big Ears but it seems I may have been incorrect.
http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060928225257AAaysJU

While I may be prepared to consider Andy Pandy's blue and white romper suit could be an indicator of a proclivity to the art of shirt lifting, I'll be bug'd if I'll accept Big Ears or Noddy are. Teddy was definitely Loubie Lou's close friend though.

See, now I'm even wondering about Poggle's "wood".

Football - ball, foot, kick.

Remember the shock I expressed at Hull City being in the Premiership and in the early part of the season, being at the top?

Well following Newcastle's 3-1 win over Middlesborough last night, Hull have replaced them in the bottom three and could be condemned to relegation . One season up, then straight back down.
Normality is resumed.

Champions League Final, Man Utd v Barcelona
Chelsea v Everton FA Cup Final
Arsenal play attractive football and come close but win nothing.
Liverpool raise hopes but falter.

Yep, everything turns out the way it always does.

Wolves and Birmingham promoted and will no doubt be favourites to be relegated next season along with whoever wins the third spot play offs.
Only Stoke stay up for a second season out of last year's three promoted teams and then only by the skin of their teeth.

Do you still follow your team? Who are they?
Any of you Yanks have Brit teams you follow?
Do you even care about MLS?
Do you understand why a World Cup has teams from more than one country?

Man Utd could win the league title today. A draw with Arsenal, at Old Trafford, would be enough to see Man Utd equal Liverpool's 16 title wins.

Man Utd beat Arsenal in the European Champions League semi finals 3-1 at Highbury, when they met recently.

Back