• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Afew observations and a couple of questions...r1100rtp

E

Elm

Hello everybody this i like my 3rd or forth post. 2nd about my bike. Today I finally pulled of some of the tupperware on my 99 r1100rtp. And was amused to find my mirrors teathered to the bike by a piece of cord on each mirror.when I popped of the mirrors. Good Idea since I've seen many a mirror bounce down the highway. Is this a regular practice? I bought this bike of a friend used car lot. A guy I've ridden with and partied with for a few years. Alas other than me apreciating a BMW neither of us had any experience with them. A life of Harleys, brits and various junkers in my distant youth. So the thing ran great and continues to do so now. Stopped great how did I know the ABS wasn't working. After a few seconds the neutral light came on and I started the bike when I figured out which button to push. Then the neutral light stopped coming on so quickly or at all. Squeezing the clutch had no effect on starting the bike What did I know a little bypass switch jumping out the neutral sw. and I'm riding this great motorcycle again. Last night I flip my trusty bypass sw and turn my key and nothing happens, Damn kick stand sw. starts working all of a sudden sometimes. still no clutch sw.Today I run a power line for the new radar detector I've decided I need to save my drivers license. Using a powerlet angle plug and a triple american lighter socket from the 12v outlet down by my left foot peg. try to trace out my clutch sw to no avail it got dark outside the shop and since it won't kill me I decide to button it up and ride it till I decide to take more of the tupperware off and do a full service on it because I want to lube the inpiut shaft or see its condition. Wont kill me but will kill my wallet (a close friend) if I get a blown input shaft. At which time I will fix my neutral sw get rid of that kickstand sw and hopefully find out where my clutch switch is... Okay admit it I am totally inadequate as a purchasing agent and test rider of BMW motorcycles. I'll get better as I read these forums and all the advice I've read from you all. But now My questions ( I hope this served as an introduction ) Who TF does these conversions from cop bike to civilian bike? because whoever did this was a butcher. Do heated throttle grips always have 2 switches and why if so, I have at least four switches tha don't do anything at all ( my right yellow I would guess to be light switchs ( my left headlight Hi lo works okayu as it should ) I have a driving light sw that works the driving lights after 2 fusses and some tape along the in line fuse for them. a swch next to it that doesent do anything on the dash 3 switches 1 heated throtle center feed 2 position rocker sw, then the ABS reset Sw that after resetting using the jumper under the seat seemed to get a relay clicking for a while but didn't do anything else. and a third switch in dash that doesen't do anything at all. The european 12volt socket that is hot all of the time. a little yellow indicator light that never comes on next to a red light that never comes on and a few other switches that don't do anything all fed by an amazing knot of wires and in line fuses hidden down by my fork assembly joints and struts dampers that I used to call triple trees and down tubes .Like I said who does these conversions I would think that before a police department could release a bike for sale they would remove all their special equipment. whoever did this has certainly set me up for a good education and frustration before I'm done. Anyway I love the bike and will make it right before I pass it on to another if I do. or when I stop riding it every day ( my dyna has been covered for weeks now. and my old friends are still shaking their heads. s Sorry about the long windedness I had to vent and giggle about this absurd wiring job I've fond hidden inside all this tupperware. And Michael Stock thanks for your diagrams I am using themeventually I will have to take all the plastic off and start figuring out the ABS system they sure hid that one on me there is no flashing lights or sounds in that braking system but it does stop better than any of my harleys ever did. Any answers about what is a normal switch configuration is I would like those manuals aren't illustrated to well. most of you guys are way more clear in your descriptoins. Thanks ,Eric

Can you try to separate out your post into different subjects? I'm finding it hard to follow what you are saying...

If the ABS is working fine right now why do you want to take the plastic off to "figure it out?" If, when you start the bike the ABS lights are flashing together, and when the bike moves out you hear the ABS pump cycle-test, and if the ABS light goes out, everything is working properly.

Certainly get out on a clean straight dry surface and practice your high effort stops. This will get you a feel fo what you and the bike are doing. Then eventually increase braking effort until you feel the ABS engage control. Keep your head up and eyes looking well forward to aid your stability.

You can take the plastic off to figure out the ABS, but all you'll find is the ABS controller under the fuel tank and ahead of the battery tray. You'd have to remove both the fuel tank (and all the plastic that allows you to do that). Once exposed you'll see the big silver box of the ABS controller, with the big multi-pin connector on it, and the two steel tubing lines coming out and the two bleed screws on the top. That's all there is to see, if you're curious. Otherwise I would leave it alone until it needs servicing.

Now if you plan to bleed the brakes and pump in fresh brake fluid, then it is worth getting to the ABS controller. You may have to bleed the fluid out at the top of the controller as well as at the calipers. I installed Speed Bleeders on my 94 RS just for the purpose of bleeding my brakes easily at home.

As far as the clutch switch, it's a common problem. People either replace the switch or simply cut the wires going to the switch (on the left handlebar) and wire them together. Sounds like maybe your previous owner went one step further and wired an on/off switch into the dash.

Back