• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BRITS in BMW MOA

You guys kill me. :ha So here's a nice Union Jack... with my fondest regards.

union-jack-dress.jpg

Kevster, your last post = brilliant. Lockster, ride safe and enjoy the Rally :thumb

Lamble why haven't you yet modified your name to Lamblester?

I'm wondering if we might have to add sub titles.

Now then I could come up with some black cun' tray, if yo' knows any Geordie.
Four candles any one?

Loved the Capstick, I went warm and nearly grizzled like a lass scriking.

well back in Boston safe and well

Just to start off we will have some more Yorkshire Poetry ..

I go down t'pub and drink 10 pints
That's how I get plastered
I then go hom and get beaten bi wife
Co's I'm a great fat yorkshire bar steward

Survived the Finger Lake Rally and learnt some great stuff
Never follow Bob ( Bob's BMW Maryland ) to a diner !
Double check the tie down on your sleeping bag dry sack on your left pannier before riding 300 miles home... ! Oh and dont put your Frogg Toggs in with it !

Spent Sunday with Simon and Lisa from www.2ride the world.com and learnt a lot about places not to go, and plenty about places we should.

I did learn lamble that your planning a south america trip, is it true ?
You could have had lots of questions answered by these people should you have any that is.

Camped in between some local boys and some canadians and had a belting time with all. Got enough bug bites to satisfy a decent dot to dot off big ben.
Just glad to be home on my own bed.

Lockster

I've met up with Simon and Lisa already and I believe we have done the website linking thing between their site and www.unchainedworld.com, which will be linking to the Three Tea Tour (three T's and three teas...clever eh??) blog that I'm working on now, prior to the 4th October Tea Party and departure from Seattle, to all points south, until you fall off this continent.

Each day, in a very British way, I'll be stopping at 4 PM and making tea for someone "local" and during 3 cups of tea, I'll be asking them about their lives, and filming it.

I've found riding around places, that whilst it may be interesting to see sites, architecture, natural beauty, historical places etc...that the best "flavour" for a place comes from the people you meet. So rather than ride passed them from stop to stop, I've decided to build in purposefully interactive times and use the medium of tea as the ice breaker.

There is also a strange link to an initiative in Afghanistan and Pakistan to educate boys and girls in schools, without the religious overtones of the madrasses, set up by an American guy, so I'll be promoting www.penniesforpeace.com and www.ikat.org in support of the Central Asia Institute CAI, because what happens there, matters here.

Three cups, one for a polite "hello", two for exchange of understanding, three, friendship and shared knowledge.

The plan is to do this every day for at least 6 month.

I hope that when I get back and edit the footage it will help overcome some of the stereotyping that goes on. "Fear is ignorance: ignorance is the enemy", so anything that will help overcome ignorance, is sort of 'the plan' which is why not only will I be sharing experiences, but also, with Tom, helping build a school extension in Ecuador and supplying educational materials (sort of following the CAI's philosophy

Should be a fun way to meet the neighbours.

How's Simon's neck holding up?

And, don't scratch your bug bites. I got some from a motel in Virginia that lasted 3 months, exactly where the back of my helmet rubbed my neck...absolute 'mare!

Gordon Bennet!

Turn my back for a long weekend and what happens, this thread surpasses the 10k barrier.
I think we must have a serious number of closset Brits within the BMWMOA. Now if we can just get one of these emoti-con smilie thingies with a Union flag and not just the Stars and Stripes or that German one.

Oh and the Three Tea Tour departure is now the 5th and not 4th October, as apparently my riding into the sunset will be the symbolic ending ceremony for the NW Tea Festival on 4th/5th October at the Seattle Centre. Heading into the distanceto spread the word of tea...jeez I just wanted to use their parking lot for a tea party.

Statdawg,

Thanks for the update on Simon. I'd have thought that being British all a broken neck would have needed would be a jaunty cravat.

I did the bar rising after the unchained across the USA ride as my left thumb and shoulder kept getting numb and then twitchy. Seems to have done the trick.
I took the Jimmy Lewis course last year, but wouldn't profess to be an off roader by any means. A fire track perhaps.
No, my biggest fear is vertigo, and in particular blind bends with sheer edges. They freak me out. I can do them, but need to dry my hands and that rivullette of sweat that runs down my back. I hear Peru and Chile have some spectacular drop off, the Road del Morte...sounds like a diversion waiting to happen.

Kevster, I'll have to check the route to see if I'm passing...hang on, I haven't got a route, it's all sort of, 'let's see what's that wayish'.

I mean it would be a milestone to be in Ushaia for Christmas, but not at the expense of having missed something, someone, that might be interesting along the route.
To be honest, I'm not that fussed if I don't get there, it is afterall just a point on the map and only a nominal destination by which to amass as many memories as possible and I can gain those without needing to be there specifically.
I always question the need to travel and what the expected outcomes will be , against what they actually reveal themselves to be. I'm still questioning the desire to visit the end or start, the furthest North, South, East or West, the highest or lowest. I'm not sure what compells people to want to go to these places rather than take a deeper look at their more immediate environs.

Read Allain du Button's book 'The Art of Travel' and you'll learn that there is something strange about this need to be 'elsewhere' and what drives and motivates it.

The best I've come up with as a logical reason is, "because it's on the way".

Jeezy Chreezy, there's the first chapter of the Three Teas Tour book...free!

Last edited:
Ah, er, um, mais oui!!! I found it on a French site and linked to it in le spur de moment.

BTW, have you tried Grip Puppies? I put some on the El Tea and they made a big difference to numbness etc. when riding long distances.

You do realise that I may now be forced into buying an LT just so I can call it an El Tea!

The numbness seems to have gone since adding the risers. However, I do have an achilles that could rupture soon, so I'll be having acupuncture on that before I go...don't want to end up with achilles goo in my boot.

As Edward Izzard pointed out...Achilles heel and called Achilles...what a coincidence!

That reminds me of a quiz question:

What is the reason for the letter D?

Without it, Edward Woodward would be Ewar Woowar. So simple when you apply logic.

Sorry America, you may have no idea who Eddie Woodward is, or indeed was.
Wicker Man, Callan, The something or other that could be Protector or Defender or Persuader?
Married Michelle Dotrice, who was Michael Crawford's Betty to his Frank Spencer, in...Some Mother's do 'ave 'em.
Well him anyway, that's who Ewar Woowar is.

Now you know.

For the benefit of our US viewers, you may recognize Edward Woodward as The Equalizer...

That's him, Mr Equalizer, he was better in the Wicker Man though, because Britt Ecklund got neckid and he got cooked.
Ewar Woowar!

Was the Equalizer shown over here then?

On Brit TV, I very much enjoyed the first installment of Kevin and Tracey, or Gavin and Tracey or some combination of male and female names. Naughty, naughty, naughty and funny...BBC America.

Really! I'll have to look that out again. I can still remember that light bulb swinging title sequence from Callan. Only got to see it when I was allowed to stay up late.

Gosh you're young. "Are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin." I remember Listen with Mother, Andy Pandy, and the "Woodentops" when I was a nipper. I remember a time when having a telly was a big deal. The first show I remember watching on our rented Tv was the "Lone Ranger". I guess that you're from the Magic Roundabout era or later. "Time for bed".

Gosh you're young. "Are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin." I remember Listen with Mother, Andy Pandy, and the "Woodentops" when I was a nipper. I remember a time when having a telly was a big deal. The first show I remember watching on our rented Tv was the "Lone Ranger". I guess that you're from the Magic Roundabout era or later. "Time for bed".

I remember the wooden tops, with Spotty Dog...I still walk that way.
I also have a membership badge of the Tinga and Tucka Club with Auntie Jean Morton and the secret salute (may have just been a Midland area thing with ATV). Then there was Mr Piper, loved the animation in that, but it never got scheduled time , so was a nightmare to find.

Another fav was Poggles Wood, where small people from Bristol lived, from their accents.
Rhubbarb and Custard ok, never really a Mary Mungo and Midge, Crystal tip and Alastair bit strange and Hector's House and the menage a troi with the dog, cat and frog involved in some very strange behaviour. Deeply disturbing.

Tales from the Riverbank was cute. The Trumpton, Chigley, Camberwick Green thing never really caught my attention. I won a Clanger at a football game raffle.

Not too long ago, I saw a brilliant stage-show for Captain Scarlet and the Thunderbirds . Two actors played all the parts, with hats that were replicas of the vehicles, hilarious. I remember queueing for hours to see the Thunderbird Tour in London, so a very big day out for a Staffordshire tot, must have been the early 70's.

Magic Round about wasn't my thing, I didn't like any of the characters in it: let's see if we can spot the one's that weren't in the Herbs shall we? "If you are sitting comfortably, then I'll begin".

Dill the Dog
Brian the Snail
Parsely the Lion
Sage the Owl
Dougal the Dog
Ermintrude the Cow
Florence the Girl
The Chives
Dillon the Rabbit

Here's a tester...what was the name of the man who owned the magic round about.. Mr?

Too old when Bag Puss arrived, which I think was the end of that sort of animation. It would be a good debate to see which were the most educational, the modern stuff or the older? Or was children's entertainment, just that, entertainment, with no pretentions as to education, until some adult decided that what kids wanted was subliminal messages?

Bring back the soup dragon!

I'd still watch Jackanory if it was shown. I remember a programme that looked back at some of the folk who had read. Top actors of the time, probably even Ewar Woowar.

Magic Roundabout

Don't remember the owner's name, but Jasper Carrot had a "Magic Roundabout" parody as the B-side to "Funky Moped" in the 70's.
It was a bit risque for those days but helped to sell the single. Wish they'd show re-runs of that stuff- I know some of it is available on DVD at home but you have to go through all that PAL/ NTSC conversion crap to play them over here.
Which part of the "Old country' are you from Lamble?

Cheers, :drink

Ian.

Unfortunately I'm not a Brit but Lamble said I could come say "Hi" if I wore tie dye (I think that's what he said).

So anyway, Hi Y'all! ( I can say Y'all here right?):wave

Unfortunately I'm not a Brit but Lamble said I could come say "Hi" if I wore tie dye (I think that's what he said).

So anyway, Hi Y'all! ( I can say Y'all here right?):wave

I think he means Hello.

Scoobs, where in the UK?

...started in Cannock Chase, moved to the the big city, Brum not far from Jasper Carrot, then New York, then down to the Colchester del Sol area. Then moved to a yacht, before coming to the USA. There were other quick stop overs in Istanbul and Capetown along the way, but I had a fairly large company at one time and so I had company houses here and there.

You can get some of these "classics" on the interweb!

Mr Rusty...owned the roundabout and his mustache had telelever suspension.

Magic Round about wasn't my thing, I didn't like any of the characters in it: let's see if we can spot the one's that weren't in the Herbs shall we? "If you are sitting comfortably, then I'll begin".

Dill the Dog
Brian the Snail
Parsely the Lion
Sage the Owl
Dougal the Dog
Ermintrude the Cow
Florence the Girl
The Chives
Dillon the Rabbit

Here's a tester...what was the name of the man who owned the magic round about.. Mr?

Dougal, Ermitrude, Dillon, Florence, and Brian were in the Magic Roundabout. Mr. Rusty

I think it says a lot about a person if they were Blue Peters or Magpies.

So which were you, Val Singleton or Jenny Hanley?
Tony Basset or Peter Pervis?
Curly afro mop Robinson or Johnny Noakes?

Which presenters are your era?

I did enjoy How!, although not the boring old fart that did the farming tools or other dull things, Jack Hargreaves, more of a disaster Dineage sort of kid.

But Suzanne Stranks on Magpie didn't wear a bra and to a young lad, that was very educational and Jenny Hanley was a looker too. I'm thinking that in retrospect I was a "seven for a secret never to be told", sort of lad.

Back