• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Bicycling at Night - Yes or No?

88bmwjeff

SF Bay Area
I know many people here also ride bicycles. So, I'm asking those if they think it's relatively safe to ride a bicycle at night. Basic assumption here is that the bike has a front and rear light.

It's not my preference to ride at night, especially in urban areas, but I've done a fair bit of night riding over the years. You can't see the intentions of others quite as well, and you are less visible side on, and some drivers take advantage of not being able to see your face. For night riding, I use very powerful bar mounted headlights that require a separate battery, as though the self contained headlights have improved over the years, IMHO they are not bright enough to see far enough down the road or to be sufficiently seen and respected by others. The brighter the headlight, the safer you will be. Just make sure you aim it down.

I do not like to ride my bicycle in the evening. Folks are often going somewhere in a hurry and usually are distracted by something (e.g., phone).

My preference is to go for a ride in the mid to late morning (after folks have gone to work but not yet lunch time).

That said, I have ridden my bike (along a less well travelled route) in the dark (early morning) to get to the local Y for a swim. The Y schedules have changed, so not so much lately.

Like my motorcycles, I have my bicycle very well lit. Blinking lights front and rear with multiple lights at each location.

I do not know how I survived my youth as a paperboy. Typically I wore a dark green "field jacket", no helmet, and no lights. I guess I was fortunate that no one had a cell phone back then.

I used to live in a quiet suburban neighborhood and zooming around in the dark sans lights was as magical as it was when I was a kid.

I started Death Ride in Markleeville with a thousand other riders at like 5 am. That was an amazing sight, seeing riders streaming through the trees ahead.

Regular riding in the dark? I dunno. Maybe for commuting. People are already terrible to bicyclists. Someone’s gonna come in here, sure as a world, and say bicycles shouldn’t be on the road.

Did it for 4 years when I lived in Vancouver, BC. This was back in in the early 1980's. So technology has drastically improved for you the bicycle rider to improve your visibility, no different than what we want on a motorcycle. Brighter headlights and taillights now on bicycles, and all battery powered. Back then it was the generator mounted on the frame of the bicycle that spun off your rear or front tire, putting a massive load on the bicycle. I did switch to using AA and C cells for headlight and taillight, but it was a pain. So with the newer Lithium battery packs, it's way better.

Good luck.

I would say have a look at the traffic and driver patterns in the areas you're thinking of riding and ask yourself fit's with the risk? We all know it is more hazardous for sure. Personally the amount of distracted drivers out there now makes me much more wary of riding in cities etc than I ever have been before riding bicycles or motos.

The amount of distracted (idiotic) drivers makes the black diamond trails in my local MTB park look mundane.
I’ll take my chances in the park :deal

Someone’s gonna come in here, sure as a world, and say bicycles shouldn’t be on the road.
Not me, but, bicycles ridden side-by-side on a two-lane highway - even though often legal - is rude, and a death wish. Riding at the edge of the lane is OK, even if I need to slow down and pick a spot to pass.

You didn't mention whether this is just around town with lighted streets or on a dark highway. Around town...yeah, I would probably do that but be very cautious. On a dark highway or two lane road...not on your life. I've actually gotten disgusted with the number of distracted/rude drivers and no longer ride on the road. I'm fortunate to have an awesome MTB trail network 2 miles from my house so all my biking is now done on trails.

Thanks for everyone's response. I wanted other's opinions on riding at night as I'm having a disagreement with my 16-year old son who would like to ride his bike regardless of how light it is outside. The riding on lighted suburban streets at times, but a lot of it would be on bike/pedestrian trails. My wife and I are still undecided about it, but the comments here have helped. I did show him the responses and I don't think he thinks it's just me who thinks there significantly elevated risks riding at night.

Thanks again

Not me, but, bicycles ridden side-by-side on a two-lane highway - even though often legal - is rude, and a death wish. Riding at the edge of the lane is OK, even if I need to slow down and pick a spot to pass.
When I coached and on teams I rode with, that’s strictly forbidden. That’s one of the actions that would have Coach Dave screaming at you as he launched after you. :bluduh Bad cycling etiquette, just like bad motorcycling etiquette, can get you killed.

On urban streets with “sharrows”, riding side by side is generally legal in my experience, but still often poorly advised depending on car traffic. The “sharrows” (two chevrons with a bicycle graphic under it) indicates to drivers that bicycles may use the full width of the road. A car forcing past a bike could be an illegal pass.

My city, Santa Rosa, Ca., has a “bike boulevard” with humps to dissuade through traffic, sharrows non-stop and signage. It gets used pretty heavily, but it’s part of a larger bicycle infrastructure that’s pretty useful and keeps cars off the road. They just linked two pretty big trails together by building a protected two way bike lane on a city street. There’s even a nice MUT that links us to Sebastopol.

The biggest city close to me where I gw up has always been brutal for riding bicycles as drivers don't see them and barely understand what the are. The bike lanes they've put in are mostly nonsensical and we have some serious hills too. I haven't ridden in the city for many years. Thankfully there's no cell service on most of the road where I live so at least drivers aren't texting.

I find that anytime I’m in the road, either walking, working or on a bicycle, it a High-Vis vest with reflective striping and any lighting possible.
I’m not sure if it’s lack of remembering drivers Ed class or impatience but a vehicle approaching from the rear will mean it will try to go around you. This happens even if it means the vehicle has to cross the double-yellow line with an oncoming car. This scenario forces a dangerous squeeze and possibly a change of underwear.
OM

When I coached and on teams I rode with, that’s strictly forbidden. That’s one of the actions that would have Coach Dave screaming at you as he launched after you. :bluduh Bad cycling etiquette, just like bad motorcycling etiquette, can get you killed.

On urban streets with “sharrows”, riding side by side is generally legal in my experience, but still often poorly advised depending on car traffic. The “sharrows” (two chevrons with a bicycle graphic under it) indicates to drivers that bicycles may use the full width of the road. A car forcing past a bike could be an illegal pass.

My city, Santa Rosa, Ca., has a “bike boulevard” with humps to dissuade through traffic, sharrows non-stop and signage. It gets used pretty heavily, but it’s part of a larger bicycle infrastructure that’s pretty useful and keeps cars off the road. They just linked two pretty big trails together by building a protected two way bike lane on a city street. There’s even a nice MUT that links us to Sebastopol.
Cycling 2 abreast is against the law in most states/provinces. It is legal here in NC and cyclists can legally take over a whole lane. Most undistracted drivers are highly respectful of cyclists and motorbikes here and will quite happily follow behind for a while, then pass fully in the oncoming lane, even if I'm riding alone at a good pace in a nice steady line by the white line. Despite that, I have mixed feelings towards riding 2 abreast, especially as I have ridden for years in far less bike friendly areas where drivers are looking for any excuse to run cylists off the road. My feelings have been that most drivers give as much respect to cyclists as cyclists give in return, and i think that belief has helped keep me alive over many decades of active cyxling/competing. If I know a car is approaching from the rear I prefer smaller groups to form back into a single line to be more respectful of the approaching vehicle. For larger groups, a tight 2 abreast group makes it easier for a vehicle to overtake the group than if they were in a single line twice as long. But if a group is getting that big it is safer for them to split into smaller groups with plenty of space between the groups. And 2 abreast IMHO is unwise on busier roads where approaching vehicles cannot easily pass. If I am riding with a group who are all over the place dont understandpack etiquette, not riding with respect to vehicles, I split off and do my own thing, as they are also a danger to me.

I find that anytime I’m in the road, either walking, working or on a bicycle, it a High-Vis vest with reflective striping and any lighting possible.
I’m not sure if it’s lack of remembering drivers Ed class or impatience but a vehicle approaching from the rear will mean it will try to go around you. This happens even if it means the vehicle has to cross the double-yellow line with an oncoming car. This scenario forces a dangerous squeeze and possibly a change of underwear.
OM
Let's face it. The roads in a lot of New England barely accommodate two cars, much less cars and bicyclists.

So - cycling at night can be a blast on the right roads in the right weather with the right moon. Still fond memories of deer running alongside the ditch while I was on smooth tarmac under a full moon with no running lights.

And of course, modern LEDs allow you to light up any road or trail you want to.

That said, not so fond memories of a mechanical delay that had me running in the dark on single track in Montana - until my headlight picked up some grizzly scat in the middle of the trail. Proceeded slowly and noisily down to the first decent campsite (and hung the food a couple hundred yards up the trail...).

I guess the question you want to ask while riding in the dark - "Am I having fun yet?"

When we lived in FL, we'd road bike pretty much every night. It was fantastic, cool, much less traffic and you can see cars coming up behind you. I think you're more visible on a bike at night with a good rear and front light. I had a few "too close" calls during the day, never at night (but it also helps that you can easily tell when a car is coming up behind you to get way over). Sadly, when we moved, I gave up road biking, we live in the country now with awesome roads, but there are almost no shoulders, nobody is looking for bikes, and, those that are looking seem like they are "aiming" (for me) rather than trying to make room and go around. It's one of the very few things I hate about rural living. I got a mountain bike a few years ago and enjoy that a quite a bit; also feel like it's made me much better on a motorcycle, getting used to low traction/slipping/etc.

Back in the day when I lived in large cities a few times it was always a hoot to go out ripping around at night as there was little to no traffic. When I was working in Teipei I got a fixie from a guy leaving the tour and it was 1/2 our ride from my hotel to site. It was a ton of fun riding in Teipei traffic day or night. People there understand bicycles on the road even though now it's all scooters and very few bicycles. Leaving traffic lights in a swarm of 200 scooters was definitely a new experience.

Back