• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New Safe Clearance Law in Massachusetts

Omega Man

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat
Staff member
It’s a little weird that this common sense operation needs legislation. It does apparently address crossing double yellow lines.

Massachusetts Vulnerable Road Users Laws Overview

What is a Vulnerable Road User?

Massachusetts now defines “vulnerable user” on our roads to include:

People walking and biking
Roadside workers
People using wheelchairs
Motorized bicycles, scooters, skateboards, roller skates, and other micromobility devices
Horse riders and horse-drawn carriages
Farm equipment
Future policies and guidelines can be created with vulnerable road users in mind.

Safe Passing | Who is this for: Motorists

Drivers will need to provide a “safe passing distance” of at least 4 feet when passing vulnerable road users. Massachusetts is the 36th state to define safe passing as at least 3 feet.

Motorists are explicitly allowed to cross a double-yellow line in order to pass “when it is safe to do so and adhering to the roadway speed limit.”

More here- https://www.massbike.org/new-massachusetts-vulnerable-road-users-laws-webinar-recap-faq
I wish people around here would wear some sort of reflective clothing when they are out on what our basically paved cart-path roads are.

OM

It's been the law here for a few years. As a road cyclist, it's appreciated, though I still encounter plenty of people that seem to want to kill me.

It's been the law here for a few years. As a road cyclist, it's appreciated, though I still encounter plenty of people that seem to want to kill me.

Riding out your way always looked appealing. When I used to watch Jason Britton's motorcycle show ( https://www.jasonbritton.com/aboutus ) he always did a bit on his training- on his bicycle. He also sponsored a charity bicycle team.

OM

Riding out your way always looked appealing. When I used to watch Jason Britton's motorcycle show ( https://www.jasonbritton.com/aboutus ) he always did a bit on his training- on his bicycle. He also sponsored a charity bicycle team.

OM

When my wife was diagnosed with Stage IV Non Hodgkins Lymphoma, I quit my position as president of the MOA to care for her. When she came out of chemo successfully, I rode and coached for Team In Training for 5 years, raising north of $30K by myself. There were four or five other folks on my team that rode motorcycles, one of who is an MOA member and spotted me even though I was pretty quiet about my motorcycle habits. Two wheels is two wheels.

Let me say that if you want to ride well, lower body and core strength is the key, especially if you like to ride with some gusto. I had super strong quads, glutes and core. We were still touring on our RT, but even with me, my wife and 70 pounds of camping gear, I was in the right condition to hustle it down backroads pretty well.

Bicycles will improve your riding, that's for sure.

They do a nice job on your cardio pulmonary systems, that's for sure.

Back to the 3 foot rule: With more and more people buying eBikes and getting out on them to run chores, I think these kind of passing laws are going to be helpful in keeping cyclists alive.

I'm sure someone will be along to tell me that cyclists shouldn't be on the road because (pick one:) "roads are for cars", "you cyclists need to pay taxes if you want to use the roads" or "we're all tired of waiting for you to finish playing with your toys, Lance Armstrong".

Hope springs eternal, though, doesn't it? Maybe we'll catch a break this time. :ha

I like that law but I chuckled when I read that it applies to passing "farm equipment." Who ever wrote that law has never met or passed a modern combine moving from field to field during harvest season. There is barely room to squeeze by, and a four foot clearance puts a car partly in the ditch on a lot of farm to market roads. Otherwise, I like it.

I like that law but I chuckled when I read that it applies to passing "farm equipment." Who ever wrote that law has never met or passed a modern combine moving from field to field during harvest season. There is barely room to squeeze by, and a four foot clearance puts a car partly in the ditch on a lot of farm to market roads. Otherwise, I like it.

lemme know if you ever see a combine on the road in Massachusetts. I lived there for 25 years and never did. :ha

Wouldn’t the car be the vulnerable vehicle in that situation?

Has been in Texas as well and ditto on a few encounters

We live on a small road that is off a 70 MPH highway (aren’t they all in MT?) that is two lanes with no shoulders. The road leads up to two Continental Divide passes and has ranches spread across much of its 40 mile length. We get plenty of trucks hauling hay and livestock trucks spewing moisture of some sort. So I ask, who is the the vulnerable vehicle? Annie and me on motorcycles or these overloaded behemoths? Twice we’ve had an encounter with a huge round bale that got loose from an overloaded truck. Once on motorcycles we came upon the hay well after it spilled, but still quite the hazard at 70 MPH. The second time we were in a car and the bale came off a 1/4 mile ahead of us. Had there been an oncoming vehicle it would have encountered a 1000 pound bale doing 30-40 MPH. The driver kept on going, but there was a Trooper behind us that reined him in short order.

Most astonishing to me is that bicyclists ride this road quite often. I know it’s legal, I know they have as much right to be on the road as I do, but riding on that road is not smart. Additionally, Montana is habitually in the top three states with the most impaired drivers. I give bicycle riders as much room as possible, but some vehicles struggle to do so and some drivers aren’t even aware they are on the road.

Back