• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

My, "The Meaning of Life"

PacWestGS

25-MPH NEXT 1OO MILES
A Moment of Reflection, the Meaning of Life

Random ramblings, so bear with me, thanks. (Long Post)

It was with great sadness today to hear of the passing of yet another young person just beginning their adult life.

I was between flights on my way back home, just fiddling with my hand-held PDA searching threads and looking up what had been said last, (I guess I am totally addicted to the MOA Forum my second family and the one I can take on the road with me) when I came across the thread titled ÔÇ£OBITUARY with permission from the familyÔÇØ. I had a few initial thoughts cross my mind, since motorcycles and airplanes are so closely intertwined; I thought someone might have known A. Scott Crossfield, former NASA and NACA test pilot who died the night before in a small single engine plane crash. It seems that BMW motorcycle drivers and private/commercial pilots share a common life; one on the road flying low and one at altitude flying amongst the clouds. As I opened the thread expecting the passing of someone older or even, God forbid, Tony BlacksÔÇÖ condition took a sepsis dive and everything changed over night and in the blink of an eye. Again I was expecting any one of a hundred other members (who I see at the bottom of the page celebrating their 69-78 or 91 birthdays even though they are not regular users, just filled in the respective data at sign-up) and have lived their collective lives and had just been off the site for awhile. Nowhere, at this time was I prepared for what I read next? ÔÇ£It is with great sadness that I am informing the forum members of the untimely passing of Garth Eppley (aka YB in IN) who was killed in small plane crash on his way to a job, with four other friends and the pilot.ÔÇØ IÔÇÖm still slightly in shock and I can handle death pretty well having lost my Father a couple years ago and having been around it professionally for a lifetime already. I had never met Garth, but over the last three-years he and all of the others have become more of my family than even my family (outside of my wife).

It also struck me (in the way that it happened) as so similar to the untimely passing of other young musicians who are just finding themselves and then taken away in a breath of time. Immediate names that come to mind were Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Ronnie Van Zant and others I canÔÇÖt even remember. It seems that talented young singers should avoid airplane travel for life, but IÔÇÖm sure that just like the rest of us air-travel is still one of the safest ways to move about the country and the world. I mean 50,000 people die each and every year on the highways and byways that cross America. 500 people probably die each year in their bathtub.

It sucks, it sucks big time, no matter how you look at this; he was one of us, part of something bigger than any one of us, bigger than me, bigger than you. He was part of cult (family) of enthusiasts that have one common goal; in our case - live vicariously through each other on two inanimate objects: a motorcycle and a computer. Neither one of which will miss you at any given moment in oneÔÇÖs life. Sure there are so many other objects in our life that make each day easier, better, more tolerable, acceptable and forgiving. But they are all just objects of our desire. Toys I like to call them, I have a garage full of toys and I donÔÇÖt think any of them will make me feel better if I lost someone close to me. They may help take the pain away for a small piece of time or at great cost, but they will not replace the emotion and the loss. I feel that way right now about the loss of Garth, although I never met him he was like a brother or a son or close friend. He will be missed, attached to all the other people in my life that I have come to know and lost.

It was a very long time ago almost 30-years ago, I lost my cousin (he was just one-year younger than I and we were very close growing up together from birth) he was on his way to school on a Moped and the lower right of two traffic lights was blocked by a parked van and the center overhead had a burnt out red light, a school bus in front him passed through the intersection of a major road on a late yellow and he followed seconds behind. I donÔÇÖt know if he even saw the car barreling down the road with a ÔÇÿgreen-lightÔÇÖ but the bike he was on was under-powered and under-braked, he was killed instantly being broadsided at 40-50 mph. I had already lost my Grandparents of old age and disease but this loss took awhile to get over. In fact our familiesÔÇÖ kind a started to fall apart after this, the two youngest of related cousins was now one and the older children were off on their own now.

IÔÇÖve lost close friends throughout life, some due to their own neglect and negligence, some due to war and some by virtue of being in the wrong place at the wrong time, unlucky I guess. IÔÇÖve also lived right on the edge of stupidity (insanity) my whole life. My life started on sailboats long before I could I drive a car or ride motorcycles. By the time I was 14 I had stared death in the face; crossing the Channel between Maui and Hawaii (The Big Island) during an un-forecasted storm that brought with it high winds and 40-60 foot swells; in a 44-foot boat, that gets pretty scary. Anyway make a long night short, I didnÔÇÖt like sailing to much at any of the points up to and before this, I got seasick every time things started to go up and down. But on this night I sat there on a sinking boat legs wrapped around the Bow-Sprit going up and down 40-60 feet at a time holding road-flares over the bow waiting for the Coast Guard to find us. After four or five hours of this and the fear of getting in a life boat, I have never been seasick or plane sick again (well the MC-130 Air Farce boys have tried and a couple times they succeeded but I held my post as a Jump Master and continued on, but hey they get to clean it up so tuff on them for trying). After I started to ride motorcycles on the road, (my older brother started years before me and had a couple of nasty get-offs before me) so one day when the hospital calls my Mom and says we have your son in the Emergency Room at the Liguna Nigal Valley Medical Center, heÔÇÖs been involved in a motorcycle accident, she replies with ÔÇ£Which oneÔÇØ? I was 15 then and my life has never stopped being lived. I never thought IÔÇÖd make it to 22, then 30, or 40. But I kept on living each and everyday; scuba and free diving in the ocean, jumping out of airplanes from 800-feet to 18,000-feet above the ground and racing at 150-mph towards earth day and night. If something fails to work you have only seconds to correct it or you die, simple as that. Thankfully very few things go wrong. My many ÔÇÿProfessionsÔÇÖ have included being shot at, shooting past and over my comrades. To helping victims of tragedy in the medical field as an EMT Para-Medic. My last real ÔÇÿgoodÔÇÖ job in the Special Forces was the Team Sergeant of a Maritime (Small Boat / Combat Swim Team) ÔÇ£A-DetachmentÔÇØ. Sure there were a lot of fun times in the sun, swimming around the Puget Sounds 63-degree water temps and shoving boats, bodies and supplies out the back of C-130s over the water during the day, but that wasnÔÇÖt what we trained for, so we did all those things with the lights turned out in the middle of the night, fear is not being able to account for each and every man in the water by the time you think everyone should be linked up and getting on with it.

Anyway without rambling on too much longer, I got married one day. Sure I had girlfriends and such and they were special in a way at the time. But once you have someone that is yourÔÇÖs for life and you take solemn vow to God to be there, it becomes someone that cannot be replaced, sure there are many of you who thought that about the first one, or the second and third, but I have only had one and plan to keep it that way.

I still have a dangerous job, I commute on dangerous roads to work, I carry a badge and gun to protect all of you and I fly on planes a lot going to and from places all across this country. IÔÇÖm gone from my home more than I am at my home.

But hereÔÇÖs the deal, living life means taking chances, risking life for the pursuit of happiness in oneÔÇÖs life. In any given second it can all end. It doesnÔÇÖt matter at what age, what you were doing or how you were doing it. ItÔÇÖs still over. Someone is always left behind, someone who loved you, knew you or wanted to collect money from you, someone is left behind that will miss you.

If you are a parent, a husband, a wife, a child, a close friend; make the time, take the time each and every day sometimes more often than each day, take a second to tell someone you ÔÇÿLove Them, Give them a HugÔÇÖ and reassure them that everything will be alright no matter what happens after you walk out the door; because you never really know when or if that is the last time.

Kids, call your parents and tell them you love them and thanks. Parents call your kids today and tell them you love them and thanks. Husbands, Wives, each day together are a Blessing from God never part ways angry. Brothers and Sisters donÔÇÖt forget to stay as close as you can because someday one of you will be without the other. In my family all the youngest ones have died first, I guess that makes me next. Hey I made it to 43 though and IÔÇÖm still living right on the edge of life. I wouldn't trade it for a second of something safer; IÔÇÖd probably slip in the bathtub and break my neck.

Life is short, get out and RIDE. Plan for the future but live everyday as it may be the last.

Some people will pass through this life as ÔÇÿUnknownsÔÇÖ otherÔÇÖs will leave a small memorable piece of themselves with everyone they ever had contact with. Send us your ÔÇÿRide ReportsÔÇÖ be involved make a mark good or bad, but be ÔÇÿSomeoneÔÇÖ.

Garth (YB in IN) will be forever remembered at least here in this ÔÇÿFamilyÔÇÖ.

Doc

Quite poignant Russ. Thanks for answering the the big question that I have been pondering about lately. I'm going to copy this and send it to some of my friends if you don't mind.

If I've seen a better post on any forum, it didn't stick. Well said, Russ. Very well said.

Doc you have left me feeling pretty speechless. I have been thinking about Garth all day & to be honest I came home from work today & gave my wife & son the biggest hugs I have given then in a long time.

This has been a wake-up call for me to be sure. I admit it, I have been taking my family & friends for granted.

Thanks for being transparent Doc.

No Day But Today. Well said Russ. So many of us get complacent in our lives and just cruise through without appreciating the important parts. Caught up in careers and what not. The passing of Garth is terrible news.
My condolences to the family and friends as well as Shep who also lost a brother.

Here is to today and to all the tomorrows we get until we don't get anymore. Make it count.

Well said, Russ.

Like a family, we exist together through shared passion and experiences. Like many a genealogical tree, existing on slightly different planes with naturally divergent branches, we differ in individual background, knowledge and temperament, yet belong to the same structure nonetheless.

I didn't know Garth. I'd never met him; in fact, I'm not even certain we'd exchanged direct communication and response on these boards, but I did feel a kinship to him. The kind of relationship that one conjures mentally when pondering the lives and existences of remote, unmet relatives; "Third cousins by marriage, etc., who've descended from great aunt So-and So, who moved to Walla Walla in the 1950's". A sense of a family member, I suppose, bolstered by the fact that we both belonged to the same club, rode a similar motorcycle and oddly enough, both held undergraduate degrees in Music.

It's a sad occasion, Russ. A sad occasion indeed. But an opportunity for all of us to further examine the varying unique aspects of this odd, but warmly reassuring familial sprawl we call our forum. I look forward, now more than ever, to meeting as many of you as possible at the rally this year; finally shaking hands and toasting those with and without us.

Regards,
Jon

.....A Moment of Reflection....

tessler said:
Like a family, we exist together through shared passion and experiences. Like many a genealogical tree, existing on slightly different planes with naturally divergent branches, we differ in individual background, knowledge and temperament, yet belong to the same structure nonetheless.

......as we get older......and take the time......we appreciate.........

Doc and Tessler........thank you for taking the time......

Looking Back just a few weeks,

I don't know if others have gone back over the last few weeks or period of time but I found these 'Pearls' while reading more about the man that we lost.

From Garth Eppley (YB in IN)

"Benvenuto mio amico!"

"From sitting around campfires in the middle of Missouri, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, and Ohio I've gotten to know a really great group of guys and gals who I've had some great times with. That to me is what the 'MOA is about. It's about the people who you meet along the way."

"I've been from end of the state to the other for Holy Week gigs and some rehearsals. Alas, I won't be able to make it to the RUT because I have a concert on Friday, coachings on Saturday, and another concert on Sunday."

"Watch it dude, my mom knows karate. :rofl "

"Well it took me about 10/15 minutes to type it out. The first draft looked like I had just pounded randomly on the keyboard. Seriously, it was a fun night."

"Satire aside, there was some really good news this week that 3 Christian Peacekeeper Team members were rescued and were okay after being kidnapped months ago."

"Dude hook me up, I'm a single man on the prowl!! And frankly after my 60 plus dollar bar tab tonight I have little or no idea of what is going on!!! The Midwest Clan rocks everyones frickin' (censored for a family board) world. Hoosiers Rock!!!!"

And then there is this 'Thread' celabrating life: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=9292

"I hope you got out and rode today though. I got a couple of miles in and had a blast. At least the nice thing about wild weather is that we do get these freak days of it being nice and sunny once in a while."

"I'm in London right now waiting on a flight to Vienna. I had some major layover time so I went into town a bit to an Irish bar and drank Guiness with a bunch of Irishmen betting on horse races. It was a convinient location because it was right next to a bookie. Good times for my first time in England. I know that this has absolutely no motorcycle content, but I've got minutes left on the internet time, and thought that I'd share. Later."

And as for 'Prophecies' as to someones last words (4/18/06) -

"I'm not totally sure where I'm going to be living yet in the Fall."

Garth, Thank You, you have lived well in the short time you shared with all who knew you. You are now living honestly in Gods Country, I hope the roads are all single lanes without guard-rails to spoil the view.

Godspeed and God Bless you.

Back