• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R80ST dual coil mounting

maverickbluer1

The 1983 R80ST I bought had been partially modified into a cafe racer. It had been dual plugged. It had two coils mounted on it but I didn't take a picture. Also, it didn't have a stock tank so I think there was more room. I'm having a hard time finding a location for the second coil. Has anyone mounted two coils on this model? If so, would you share pics or let me know where you mounted the second one?

Thanks

Thanks for that. I'm using the Duralast coils from EuroMotoElectrics. I also got one each of their brackets. One of the coils fits just fine in the stock location near the front on the stock mount on the right side of the backbone. It's the second one I'm not finding a great location for.

On my ST the second coil is mounted on the RH side of the frame tube, directly across from the LH coil. IIRC I used the DCB-1 bracket on both sides.

Best,
DeVern

It may be a day or two before I could get a picture.
The OEM coil for the R80ST is a single dual-outlet coil that mounts via two bolts to a tab that projects downward from the bottom of the main upper frame tube, near the front. Mounting the EDL coils requires two DCB-1 brackets, one mounted on each side of that frame tab using two 6mm bolts that pass through both brackets and the frame tab. The coils end up tucked in close to the main upper frame tube and partially underneath that tube. This mounting allows the stock ST tank to fit and the coils pretty much concealed by the tank.

I’ll try to post a photo in the next day or two.

Best,
DeVern

Here you are, and I stand corrected-the frame tab is actually on top of the smaller upper frame tube, not the bottom of the larger top tube. That’s what I get for going by memory…

Left side, tank on:
1711481498360.jpeg

Right side, tank on:
1711481548886.jpeg

Left side coil mounting:
1711481601943.jpeg

Right side coil mounting:
1711481740828.jpeg

It’s not clear in the pictures, but one lead from each coil goes to the cylinder on the opposite side.

HTH,
DeVern

Snowbum's suggestion for plug wiring is to use one coil to the top plugs on each cylinder and the other coil for the lower plugs on each cylinder. This way, if you have a coil failure, the remaining coil is still powering the cylinders. He has other reasons for this related about 2/3 down this page:

Snowbum's suggestion for plug wiring is to use one coil to the top plugs on each cylinder and the other coil for the lower plugs on each cylinder. This way, if you have a coil failure, the remaining coil is still powering the cylinders. He has other reasons for this related about 2/3 down this page:

Yes, exactly as I have them. The lengths of the wire kits sold by EME and others makes that a simple setup.

Best,
DeVern

OK...I had to reread your description of cable routing a few times to make sure I understood!! ;)

Here you are, and I stand corrected-the frame tab is actually on top of the smaller upper frame tube, not the bottom of the larger top tube. That’s what I get for going by memory…

Left side, tank on:
View attachment 97267

Right side, tank on:
View attachment 97268

Left side coil mounting:
View attachment 97269

Right side coil mounting:
View attachment 97270

It’s not clear in the pictures, but one lead from each coil goes to the cylinder on the opposite side.

HTH,
DeVern
Great thanks for those pictures. I finally found the original bracket that was on the bike when I got it seems to be workable. It appears to be a custom bracket that mounts both coils with spacers in between to separate them. They are very close to the top cover. it does bolt on at the original coil mounting location.IMG_1570.jpgIMG_1569.jpg

Back