• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Barnett BMW Motorcycles of El Paso is Closed

I go out of my way to do more business at a dealership where I'm treated well. Years ago I had a clutch master cylinder fail under warranty while on a trip in the Sacramento area. A&S BMW in Roseville got a tech on the bike as soon as it was unloaded. They didn't have a clutch master cylinder in stock and we were planning on heading further south that day. They told me they would take one off a showroom bike. There was a recall that had just come out that I hadn't even received the letter on yet. They said they'd take care of it at the same time. They gave my wife and I a bike to ride and suggested a couple of good lunch spots. When we got back the bike wasn't quite done so we waited in their waiting area. The waiting area had a few computers with an internet connection, a fridge stocked with free drinks, nuts and snacks, etc. It was a very nice waiting area. We were back on the road quickly and everyone there treated us great.

Since that time I have ordered things online from them, and when I have had other warranty or recall work I have scheduled a trip through their area to have them take care of it when I could.

I like A&S. It's a big dealership with multiple brands and a good online presence.

+1 on A&S. I've bought some parts and accessories from them and they've been great in getting what I needed to me fast. Kirk Vincent is the parts manager and he runs a great operation. If you get on their email list, a couple of times a year (usually Thanksgiving and Christmas) they have 15% off sales on lots of BMW stuff. Not "selected" stuff, but site-wide.

Find a dealer you like and stick with them, Long Beach BMW has been my place for a number of years, and three new bikes, when I walk in the GM always says hi Jim, same for parts and sales. Service department, 99% of the time has a loaner bike avaible, if not the service rep has loaned me his truck. 👍👍👍👍

I live in the N. GA mountains, my closest dealers are Atlanta or Chattanooga, they are both the same distance(75 Miles). I don't care for the folks in Atlanta they tend to be on the arrogant side, and not real friendly. I decided to go with Pandora European Motorsports for my service work, when I don't do it myself. The sales, service, and parts department are top notch. Matt is the service manager and is always accommodating. They always offer me a loaner bike, so I can run errands or grab a bite to eat. If you're in the area, I highly recommend you to stop by and see them.

Find a dealer you like and stick with them, Long Beach BMW has been my place for a number of years, and three new bikes, when I walk in the GM always says hi Jim, same for parts and sales. Service department, 99% of the time has a loaner bike avaible, if not the service rep has loaned me his truck. 👍👍👍👍

This is one of the things I like about my sport. When dealers are done right, it makes for a very rewarding experience.

Damn

OK, so tonight I find out the El Paso gentleman who was the Barnett BMW tech I depended on is moving east. I am gonna miss his wealth of knowledge and skills.

So now it is Viva or Sandia.

Anyone have any intel on either dealer?

This sucks.

:banghead

Last edited:
Picky about the design/manufacture of the motorcycles ? For sure But overly picky about dealers setting up ? Only limits the ability of some [to] open up. I'd rather have [a] dealer than have the fanciest dealer. I'm more concerned about good mechanics with proper tools & equipment , than mood lighting & perfect sign placement in the showroom ....don't you agree ?

I agree. Maybe this is a product of a fevered misinterpretation on my part but I got the idea that Gina's sold out in part because they didn't want to pop for mood lighting etc.

I went to Viva last month and they had zero rear tires for my GSA, claimed they'd sold them out a week earlier for some GS group that came through. Shouldn't they have replaced the stock they sold by the time I got there? My online research was equivocal whether or not Barnett was a BMW dealer, my bad maybe I should have tried. There was another place across town that had one tire that would fit: a 7-year old Metzler (no thanks). Next closest was Albuquerque who fixed me up no problem but wow was that a boring ride up I-25.

I like my dealer Bentonville BMW in Arkansas. Their prices on anything I have had done are fair, and the work was done correctly. It is nice to have a backup for when I get busy and do not have time myself, or the job is beyond my comfort level.

I do most my own maintenance, and they almost always have the part I need. I even needed a turn signal lens for my R1150RS, and they had it! I was sure I needed to order it.

I bought most my gear from them. Most, not all. I consider it unethical to try on something and then mail order it for less. I also have gear from cycle gear, and the local harley leather guy. I will mail order what I know will fit. Filters, the special spark plugs etc I get from them. Nice to have them there for those things.

But tires, there is a sore spot. I can remove my own tire and take to a local guy to have changed. If the delta was $50 I would have the dealer do it. BUT the difference is way more. I know they need to make money, I understand that. But for a tire. Every 6 to 8K miles.

I hope that classes as supporting my local dealer.

Rod

Last edited:
Rod,
I think you are "supporting" your dealership just fine. More importantly, it sounds like (minus your tires situation) your dealership is supporting you.

Back