• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Barnett BMW Motorcycles of El Paso is Closed

boltgunner

What I wrote today to BMW Customer Service...

To - CustomerService@bmwmotorcycles.com

My dealer in El Paso is closed, and I have learned that Viva Powersports in El Paso will take over as the BMW motorcycle dealer for El Paso after the first of the year.

I am very concerned that the technical, parts, and sales staff at Barnett are not going to Viva, and that the owner of Viva has a reputation that I can best describe as being a risk to the BMW brand.

I hope BMW will monitor Viva to ensure they are keeping with the expectations of BMW. I am troubled that the people that I had a solid working relationship with at Barnett are no more, and, based on reliable information, I cannot see Viva as being trustworthy of my business.

I don't know much about nothing, but maybe give them just a little chance? :dunno They could always end up surprising you. I hope they do. Look at the bright side, someone is taking over. We could be one dealer less.

What I wrote today to BMW Customer Service...

To - CustomerService@bmwmotorcycles.com

My dealer in El Paso is closed, and I have learned that Viva Powersports in El Paso will take over as the BMW motorcycle dealer for El Paso after the first of the year.

I am very concerned that the technical, parts, and sales staff at Barnett are not going to Viva, and that the owner of Viva has a reputation that I can best describe as being a risk to the BMW brand.

I hope BMW will monitor Viva to ensure they are keeping with the expectations of BMW. I am troubled that the people that I had a solid working relationship with at Barnett are no more, and, based on reliable information, I cannot see Viva as being trustworthy of my business.

I'd give some careful thought before posting something like that.

We lost our local [Cincinnati area] dealer several years back. Never did get another. Roughly 100 miles N/S/E/& W to get to one.

Cincinnati is a fair sized city & surrounding area. Never did understand why no one picked up a franchise ??

That said, the last time I spoke with the Columbus area dealer, he indicated that BMW is not at all easy to deal with when it comes to the dealers ?
He claims they are very demanding about requirements ? And usually that means $$ so I suppose that's a large part [of] the reason ?

Sure wish we had one back though.........:banghead

We lost our local [Cincinnati area] dealer several years back. Never did get another. Roughly 100 miles N/S/E/& W to get to one.

Cincinnati is a fair sized city & surrounding area. Never did understand why no one picked up a franchise ??

That said, the last time I spoke with the Columbus area dealer, he indicated that BMW is not at all easy to deal with when it comes to the dealers ?
He claims they are very demanding about requirements ? And usually that means $$ so I suppose that's a large part [of] the reason ?

Sure wish we had one back though.........:banghead

I hear there is one in the pipeline for Cincinnati area, but ramp up takes quite a while.

Barnett was/is the largest Harley Davidson dealership in the United States. They added BMW as a sideline. I don't think it was a very good fit. As for any successor franchisee I'll have to wait and see because I don't know anything about the owner, his staffing, location, or much of anything else. Others probably know more than I do.

It's good that BMW is not easy to deal with.

It's no fun when BMW is combined with other motorcycle brands, especially the "mainstream" brands. Better to be combined with a BMW car dealer.

Viva has all the other brands that cannot stand alone, so I guess their Honda tech will be sorting out the BMWs...

Frankly, I want BMW to be picky.

Viva has all the other brands that cannot stand alone, so I guess their Honda tech will be sorting out the BMWs...

Frankly, I want BMW to be picky.

Picky about the design/manufacture of the motorcycles ? For sure But overly picky about dealers setting up ? Only limits the ability of some [to] open up. I'd rather have [a] dealer than have the fanciest dealer. I'm more concerned about good mechanics with proper tools & equipment , than mood lighting & perfect sign placement in the showroom ....don't you agree ?

From my somewhat wobbly soap box :gerg
As we have mutated into a position where, for most of the motoring public, pumping their own gas is a big mechanical event we have arrived at the age of volume.
A lot of the older operations have a hard time functioning when corporate steps in. Overhead rises and new revenue streams must be found. Part of this is the consumers "fault" from shopping at a retailer and then ordering on line cuz it's cheaper. This is a downward self-fulfilling trend that most likely cannot be stopped.
I used to have places that, when I needed a product or service- I just went to.....I miss that as even the most simple things turn into a research project.
I'm even past the point where listening to an 18yo service writer explain to me anything is amusing.
OM

Purely because I'm cantankerous, maybe, I note that Boltgunner's profile tells me he is in Houston, but he calls the dealership in El Paso "my dealer". I live a whole lot closer to El Paso that Houston is.

So what is the problem with the dealers in the Houston area which cause a very young (newish) dealership 750 miles away to become the favorite??

Just wondering.

I do admit that I call Engle Motors in Kansas City "my dealership" but that is because I have received great service and support from them for the past 32 years. Barnett was open with BMW's what - 5 years??

That's a fair question. I live in Houston, but have spent a majority of my time working in El Paso. The desert sort of grew on me, so I decided a dual sport was in my future, and the folks at Barnett were BMW riders as well. Very good staff. So, the bike lives in the back of a ELP hangar until I get back, then off to the desert I go. Riding in Houston is suicide!

Reply from BMW...canned response but we will see. From what I hear from a dealer I trust in Houston, the ELP dealer must have licensed techs.

Thank you for contacting BMW Motorrad USA regarding the authorized BMW Motorrad dealer in your area. I was sorry to read of your concerns.

Your comments are valuable, as they provide an opportunity to improve the level of service our BMW customers expect and deserve. Please be assured they will be shared with our management team.

The BMW Motorrad Customer Relations and Services Department is available Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m., ET. You can reach us at 1-800-831-1117.

Thank you again for taking the time to write to us.

Regards,

Matt Evans
BMW Motorrad USA
Representative

Reply from BMW...canned response but we will see. From what I hear from a dealer I trust in Houston, the ELP dealer must have licensed techs.

Thank you for contacting BMW Motorrad USA regarding the authorized BMW Motorrad dealer in your area. I was sorry to read of your concerns.

Your comments are valuable, as they provide an opportunity to improve the level of service our BMW customers expect and deserve. Please be assured they will be shared with our management team.

The BMW Motorrad Customer Relations and Services Department is available Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m., ET. You can reach us at 1-800-831-1117.

Thank you again for taking the time to write to us.

Regards,

Matt Evans
BMW Motorrad USA
Representative

That is the lawyer required response. Damn Lawyers ! :thumb

And before anybody gets their blood pressure up, I am one ... :hide

Back