• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Barnett BMW Motorcycles of El Paso is Closed

Looks like BMW dealerships are going through another metamorphous, and adding BMW as a sideline seems to be a growing trend. BMW of Austin recently sold to Woods. Now, you find the BMWs in the south corner of the building that houses mostly Can-Am, Honda, Kawasaki, Polaris, Seadoo, Suzuki, Yamaha and Triumph. I went there recently for service and a recall and was happy to find that a lot of the folks from the old dealership are now employed at Woods. Although there is no longer a large TV to watch while you wait on your bike, it’s probably a plus for my health that they no longer have donuts. But, I’m happy to say they did an excellent job working on the bike, and the Dealership called me after the work to make sure I was pleased. Wow!!! Just knowing that someone cared enough to call made me made me feel much more comfortable about the new dealer. I’m hoping BMW is being very careful about these changes. I know one of the things I seriously consider when buying a bike is the availability of a good dealership. Having a great bike doesn’t make a lot of difference if the mechanic thinks a torque wrench is optional.

Last edited:
All, i currently understand Boltgunner's concerns. I do know that if you go to Indian Motorcycles on Lafayette and Gateway East here in El Paso you can get your BMW serviced (cant do warranty work though) by someone familiar from Barnett BMW. If I need warranty work I am going to trailer my bike up to Sandia BMW in Albuquerque NM. There is no way im going to Viva, I'm not going to be tricked of by them again.

Viva has all the other brands that cannot stand alone, so I guess their Honda tech will be sorting out the BMWs...

Frankly, I want BMW to be picky.

Considering that there's only ~15,000 BMW sold per year and most areas are limited to a seasonal period of riding, I would speculate that supporting a BMW-only tech(s) isn't an easy proposition for a dealership. I have no clue what the BMW-only techs in my state do from November to March.

If a BMW-tech set-up his own private repair shop and refused to service anything but BMW's, would you consider that a good business move?

Last edited:
I can do all "services" on my bike and often do, but that fact still doesn't preclude me from allowing the dealer to do it if I'm in the area, or the service is in conjunction with maintenace already being performed. My dealership, Pensacola BMW, is over 100 miles away. The distance makes for a nice ride. I've timed my services and maintenace in such a manner that I've never had to trailer my bikes anywhere. (The one time when I an the bike was run over I'm not counting here).

That said. I think it's very important the dealers receive our patronage. So many times in talking to people and on the forums I hear on the one hand BMW riders love a clean, well maintained, efficient well run dealer. But in the same sentence brag about how much money they save doing all their own work and buying their supplies from Walmart or the cheapest on line vender. If you want a rhobust dealership network, someone has got to spend some money at their shop. Every time I go to my dealer I buy something, at least a tshirt. It's a show faith, tells them I appreciate their business.

I haven't seen a situation where a strong relationship with a dealer has been a bad thing. Better than all that is when a dealer is able to "turn the light on for you" that it is a good thing.
Problems seem to start in the beginning (for me) with a weak sales department.
OM

. I think it's very important the dealers receive our patronage. So many times in talking to people and on the forums I hear on the one hand BMW riders love a clean, well maintained, efficient well run dealer. But in the same sentence brag about how much money they save doing all their own work and buying their supplies from Walmart or the cheapest on line vender. If you want a rhobust dealership network, someone has got to spend some money at their shop. Every time I go to my dealer I buy something, at least a tshirt. It's a show faith, tells them I appreciate their business.

I think that's true to a certain extent, but there are some horrible dealers out there that really have no business representing a premium brand. My local dealer informed me, often in the most vulgar language imaginable, that a) Clearwater lights would fry the CANBUS, b) Jesse luggage would crack the frame if I ever lowsided, c) PivotPegz would snap off if I stood on rough terrain, Skene P3 lights would kill my brake and tail lights, and d) the Wunderlich sidestand enlarger would cause the assembly to fail. If he didn't sell something, he had nothing good to say about it. And his prices were outrageous! He wanted $250 more for a set of TKC-80s than I could get online, plus $100 to mount and balance if I took the wheels off. I'd gladly pay a bit more to support a good local business, but that was robbery. Upon seeing my GSA/sidecar rig, "Why anybody would take a magnificent bike and turn it into a piece of $--t like that is beyond me!"

His techs are fantastic, but after that last comment I vowed never to spend a penny at his shop again. I've also convinced a dozen other riders to buy elsewhere. I'd feel bad for his staff but wouldn't cry if he went out of business.

Max BMW in NY is a four hour each way ride for me. It's secondary and dirt roads all the way and a delightful ride, but if I had an issue that made the bike unrideable I would trailer it all the way rather than taking it to my local dealer. On each arrival at Max BMW I am greeted warmly by name, offered a cup of coffee or hot chocolate, and if business is slow the staff often come over to ask about my riding plans for the coming year, share new routes they discovered, and generally make me feel like a welcomed and valued individual. I buy extras every time I visit them for the same reason you do so at the Pensacola dealer. I wish all BMW dealers were like Max, and wish BMW Motorrad would consider personality and salesmanship when deciding whether or not to welcome a new dealer into the family.

Last edited:
Pete I totally agree with you. My comments regarding supporting your dealership, were in regards to supporting your dealership. I'm a huge advocate of taking my money where me and my bike are appreciated. I walked into my first BMW motorcycle dealership, Bogarts BMW motorcycles of Birmingham (long since defunct). I was there to buy a riding jacket, no one would help me. I finally picked out one and stood by the counter for 15-20 minutes. No one on the staff would talk to me. I put the jacket back, and walked out, never went back. That was my first experience with a BMW dealership car or motorcycle. As you can tell, I just kept shopping around till I found someone that wanted my money.

Clement Salvadoori in April 2011 RIDER magazine Re: Support Your Dealer

For some reason I saved this from 2011 when a lot of shakeout in the MC business was happening:

Screen Shot 2016-02-20 at 8.41.54 PM.jpg

John, the article kinda summed up my supposition nicely. I'm curious why others don't see the cause and effect circumstances that ultimately have the potential for affecting their motorcycle riding passion. It's an interesting sociological phenomenon. Maybe in America we take too much for granted.

I think that's true to a certain extent, but there are some horrible dealers out there that really have no business representing a premium brand. My local dealer informed me, often in the most vulgar language imaginable, that a) Clearwater lights would fry the CANBUS, b) Jesse luggage would crack the frame if I ever lowsided, c) PivotPegz would snap off if I stood on rough terrain, Skene P3 lights would kill my brake and tail lights, and d) the Wunderlich sidestand enlarger would cause the assembly to fail. If he didn't sell something, he had nothing good to say about it.

In the late 80s Debbie and I stumbled across the Essex Junction, Vt. dealer and stopped to visit since it was rare for us to find a BMW dealer on a trip.
We didn't leave with a warm fuzzy feeling after visiting with the owner.

I suppose one of the few things I can be thankful for here in the Bay Area is the fact we have five BMW bike dealers. I sympathize with folks who live in areas underserved by reputable dealers. For what it's worth, the Harley Davidson dealer world may be about to change as well if this article is accurate: http://www.fool.com/investing/gener...numbers-by-using.aspx?source=eptfxblnk0000004

The H-D approach seems to be similar to that of BMW cars............keep the numbers rosy.

In the late 80s Debbie and I stumbled across the Essex Junction, Vt. dealer and stopped to visit since it was rare for us to find a BMW dealer on a trip.
We didn't leave with a warm fuzzy feeling after visiting with the owner.

I see you've also met Lord Farquaad...

Have I ever been loved by a dealer? Not really.

I've had some do me some favors, but I've also had owner's flatly say they wouldn't deal with "that" guy.......just by taking a look at me. While, I think that dealer was doing something wrong......his son is still running and growing the business 30-yrs later. I bought a bike elsewhere, that time, from a shop that that didn't make the transition from one generation to the next and disappeared.

The new dealerships may offer that warm cuddly experience, but those old-style places were pretty much hit or miss. But, in many cases, very entertaining.

All I care about is to be treated courteously and that the dealer does a professional job. That IMO is the basics. Cost is secondary; good service costs money. Hot chocolate and donuts is above and beyond the call as far as I am concerned. I think running a prosperous motorcycle sales and service operation is hard. One can almost tell which ones are on the ropes; the mechanics are young, lots of turnover, they are probably underpaid and are disgruntled. Some dealerships die of old age, or from divorces, or they get tired of the struggle.

If you have a good one, give them your support. They need it.

Considering that there's only ~15,000 BMW sold per year and most areas are limited to a seasonal period of riding, I would speculate that supporting a BMW-only tech(s) isn't an easy proposition for a dealership. I have no clue what the BMW-only techs in my state do from November to March.

If a BMW-tech set-up his own private repair shop and refused to service anything but BMW's, would you consider that a good business move?

They are busy replacing fuel strips multiple times on the same bikes! Joke (not really, mine went out again after less than 3,000 since the previous replacement. :banghead)

If you really want to know what they do, call them. I've noticed that successful dealers always seem to be busy in their service bays.

Gateway in St. Louis, a stand alone BMW dealer, seems to be thriving. :thumb

I go out of my way to do more business at a dealership where I'm treated well. Years ago I had a clutch master cylinder fail under warranty while on a trip in the Sacramento area. A&S BMW in Roseville got a tech on the bike as soon as it was unloaded. They didn't have a clutch master cylinder in stock and we were planning on heading further south that day. They told me they would take one off a showroom bike. There was a recall that had just come out that I hadn't even received the letter on yet. They said they'd take care of it at the same time. They gave my wife and I a bike to ride and suggested a couple of good lunch spots. When we got back the bike wasn't quite done so we waited in their waiting area. The waiting area had a few computers with an internet connection, a fridge stocked with free drinks, nuts and snacks, etc. It was a very nice waiting area. We were back on the road quickly and everyone there treated us great.

Since that time I have ordered things online from them, and when I have had other warranty or recall work I have scheduled a trip through their area to have them take care of it when I could.

Back