• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'77 R100S: Plastic Restoration

While I sort the issues with wiring and getting the engine running well, my thoughts turn to the appearance, something I can fix easily. How do I restore the black plastic on the inside of the fairing? It's got a texture on it. There's also some sort of foam/rubber strips where the interior paneling meets the fairing. Can I peel that up and replace it? If so, what do I replace it with?

20221118_111438.jpg

Here's what I've done on several fairings and hard case bags. If its a crack, I drill a small hole at the termination point of the crack. I then grind the crack with a "V" shape. I go to a local upholstery shop and buy a scrap of vinyl, that has a close a pattern that matches the pattern on the plastic of the fairing. I use marine grade 2 part epoxy to fill the crack and just when it starts to skin over I press the pattered material in/on it and lift back off and verify the patter stayed, (always test on something else to get the timing of press just right).

I've had good success with Fusion paint prepped with ammonia on the plastic. NOTE: Do not get ammonia on any clear plastic surface as it will cloud some poly/plastics.

Back