• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

24 hrs only: bench racing Le Mans!

Mika can't do all the work!

I'm not the journalist he is, so I'm just opening the thread for your comments. I'll check on the racing before and after riding this weekend, but some of the items worth mentioning are the use of alternative fuels, and Corvettes' last Le Mans in GT1.

So, a reminder to all the race is this weekend, and feel free to check in on it when you can (on SpeedTV) and post your comments!

Attachments

• lemans004.jpg
    lemans004.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 19
Thanks Bob! Been in and out of the garage and following this on Speed. Just found your thread. This is one of my dream races to go to. I am going to sit back and be a fan.
:thumb

:lurk

Here's the official link for active updates:

http://www.lemans.org/24heuresdumans/pages/accueil_gb.html

I just got home from a break-in run on my new bike and was enjoying a great camera "ride along" in the cockpit of Johnny O'Connel's GT1 Corvette.
Very cool to see at night, and I love that big V8 thunder!

It appears Peugeot has two cars in front of the mighty Audi in LMP1, all three cars are diesel powered. Aston Martin, new to the class this year (in a Lola chassis), is the highest placed gasoline fueled car in P4 (that's forth to us Americans).

Watched this morning as Peugeot ran the first three cars through the checkered flag; though as is often case in endurance racing, they did not finish in that order.
They did however, finally dethrone dominant Audi after three years of trying, finishing first and second in LMP1 (and overall). The Peugeot was clearly the best car of the day, setting the faster pace, running faster laps, and without serious mechanical problems, and handling consistently well (something the new Audi seemed to have trouble with). They could well have set a new overall record, if it weren't for two extended (hour-long) caution periods. Audi did wrap it up in third.
All three podium spots went to diesel powered cars again.

My favorite story of course is the Corvettes racing in GT1 for that last time, and they finished in grand style, first, second, and fourth. Johnny O'Connel strikes again!:usa Aston Martin rounded out the podium in third.

Ferrari won GT2, on this, the 60th anniversary of their first Le Mans victory. When asked how he felt about the honor of handing over the trophy to the president the prancing stallion company, a grinning Mika Salo said "We're not gonna give it to him".

Again, check this link for results (still being updated while I post), times, and pics:

http://www.lemans.org/24heuresdumans/pages/accueil_gb.html

I'll try to add more detail later, after some serious coffee consumption.
Looking forward to the future, I will say SpeedTV announced they extended their contract to air the race for the next three years, if you're interested in tuning in for the real thing.

I still cannot get used to the sound of the diesel engines!
I think they only rev to 6 or 7k but i understand that the torque they deliver is amazing.

Mika, when you decide to travel to Le Mans for the "In person" experience let me know. I WANNA GO TOO!!!!! :clap

Back