• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2005 R1200RT - Input regarding possible purchase needed

next time.........

The next question you have to ask yourself at this point is that if he was dishonest in his dealings with you about price and conditions of sale.......how much of a jump would it be for someone like this to be dishonest about the condition and working order of the bike? I believe that things happen for a reason and we don't always know what that reason is.......for whatever reason this bike wasn't meant for you. Maybe you are meant to get a better bike at a better price from an honest person.
Don't let it get you down, lots of people have been trading in their early model R1200RTs for newer models. Keep looking, your bike is out there. Don

Be warned. The unofficial craigslist rule seems to be that the first one with the cash gets the goods.

I totally understand your disappointment. Years ago when selling our van for a very fair price and took a $100 deposit from the first looker. Said he'd be back after the weekend. Took three weeks before he showed up with the rest of the cash. In the meantime, I had several offers of over a $1000 more than the asking price from others. Having taken his money, although nothing was in writing, I kept the van for him.

Now when I sell, I tell folks that if they want an item, the first at the door with the cash or certified cheque gets it. I expect the same when buying.

The seller was wrong to not give you a similar warning or to at least let you match the new price.

In this economy, there are a lot of good bikes for reasonable prices for sale. You will find another bike as good or better in a similar price range. Keep looking.

A man is only as good as his word!

If the man did not keep his word or even have a conscience you are probably better off. Seems the bike was not destined to be yours. I am sure you are not so upset about not getting the bike as much as the way it happened. Look at it this way, he probably did you a favor.

There are lots of nice RT's out there, and no doubt you will have learned a little from this ordeal to go into the next agreement a little wiser.

Keep looking, there is one with your name on it somewhere!

Jim

In these parts a deal isn't a deal until one receives a deposit. Even though this seller is a police officer doesn't mean he's a business person. Next time when pursuing and internet deal ask the person if they would take a deposit via Paypal for $500.00 and be clear when you expect to pay the remaining and take delivery of the bike.
Personally I have never liked Craig's list, I've heard too many horror stories and good deals gone bad there. I've done better on eBay and have sold many vehicles and purchased my 07 RT on the site.
Things like this have been going on since civilization began, this is nothing new although I understand your disappointment.
Now that the 05 is a bust may I recommend a 07 or newer. They don't have the servo brakes. I really didn't like the maintenance for the servo and the big $$$ you would have to spend if the servo went bad.

Nplenzick makes a good point. The 05 is a great bike but you'd be better off with an 07 non servo brake machine for possible repair costs. I like the whizzy brakes, but if they fail it will cost some bucks to repair.

It's Winter; you're not losing any great riding weather. Keep looking.

A number of years ago, my son posted his Toyota Matrix for sale on Craigslist. He was flooded with calls, each person telling him that they would buy the car and arrive within an hour with the money. One person even offered to paypal him a deposit. Needless to say, none of the "buyers" arrived and the paypal deposit never came about.

A day or two later, a woman stopped him in the grocery store parking lot having seen the "For Sale" sign in the car's window. After a half-hour of discussion, test driving, and negotiation, he sold the car to her, taking a $500 deposit and making a hand-written bill of sale. The next day the woman picked up the Matrix and my son got $700 more from the car than he was asking on Craiglist.

So if I look at things from the seller's view, I think I can understand the temptation to jump for the cash instead of waiting to see how a "firm possibility" pans out. That being said, your seller could have handled things much differently! He could have taken a deposit from the other buyer and made it contingent upon your refusal of the previously agreed-upon deal. Obviously, he would have got less for the bike doing things that way, but it would have been the right thing to do.

Three things to remember:
(1) Cash talks;
(2) Don't get too attached to any bike for sale;
(3) Kharma is your payback.

As an allegory, I can tell you that there were times when I interviewed for jobs, and had been called back for second or third interviews and I did not get the job. I can tell you I believe I have been blessed in almost all circumstances that I did not get the job based on what I found out later. Your circumstance is like that.

As an allegory, I can tell you that there were times when I interviewed for jobs, and had been called back for second or third interviews and I did not get the job. I can tell you I believe I have been blessed in almost all circumstances that I did not get the job based on what I found out later. Your circumstance is like that.

ALL very good points made and I thank you all for your input. The '05 book is closed and I shall keep looking.

Maybe I just keep my '02, as it has VERY low miles and I know what I got.

HAPPY NEW YEAR to you all, I shall be back if I have another one for you all to look at. :)

Many thanks again, very much appreciated.

Back