• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2005 R1200RT - Input regarding possible purchase needed

The deal sounds great - have you asked why they want to sell? That might explain the deal.
I purchased my 05 RT in the spring. It had 36K miles on it, great shape, and I paid $10K. You got a wonderful deal there. As for the bike, you'll love it.

ASIDE: If they are original shocks (like mine are) they will need replacing soon. I just purchased a couple of used shocks from Beemerboneyard and that alone saved me around $1200.

Again, thanks very much everyone for all your input:

RoboRider: I will definitely check the tires, but that should not be a deal breaker.

nplenzick: Not sure if changing the brake fluid is part of the normal service. The seller mentioned that ALL service was done by the book and he has the receipts for it.

drummer: Seller mentioned he wanted to purchase a bigger Touring Bike, most likely a Gold Wing (OUCH!). I assume that therefore the price is low as he does not really know what he has.

Check underneath for seepage at the rear seal, look for signs of oil seepage at the rear of the tranny, should be clean and dry.

Oh no, I agree. I mentioned the tires because they look like they have plenty of tread. But having tread and having a 'good' tire are not the same things. But a deal breaker, no way. I just want you to enjoy that ride and it looks like new tires willl be needed for that. Sure, if you're cruising around Sacto., no big. But if you go up to Placerville and cut over on back roads to HWY 88 and Pioneer, you'll want tires with a good profile.

With all that has been said here, this looks like a great deal. Unless you have an unscrupulous seller, who knows of some hidden damage or imminent failure, this looks like a go. If there is leaking oil anywhere, the seller looks like he's cleaned all traces of it since it is immaculate.

You better hurry. I fly to Sacto. every year and I might need a West Coast RT!!

nplenzick: Not sure if changing the brake fluid is part of the normal service. The seller mentioned that ALL service was done by the book and he has the receipts for it.

I believe it's recommended to be changed every two years at least that's what they did with my 05 LT when I had that. Just ask your dealer for their opinion.

Yes, it is every two years and an easy job to do yourself. Well, after you take off all the plastic and the gas tank! And then you might as well do the valves, airfilter, and sync the TBs while you're there!!

And again, MANY THANKS to everyone.

- Just called the dealer and he verified that the bike has had ALL the recommended service done, the last major 24K service was performed by Santa Rosa BMW about 1 1/2 years ago, the bike now has 29.3K miles.

- No open recalls on the bike either.

- On 10/12/2007, A&S in Roseville installed a BAEHR communication system. (Any ideas what this is, what it does?)

I guess I would have to agree, the bike seems to be a GO! :dance

UPDATE on '05 R1200RT

And again, MANY THANKS to everyone.

- Just called the dealer and he verified that the bike has had ALL the recommended service done, the last major 24K service was performed by Santa Rosa BMW about 1 1/2 years ago, the bike now has 29.3K miles.

- No open recalls on the bike either.

- On 10/12/2007, A&S in Roseville installed a BAEHR communication system. (Any ideas what this is, what it does?)

I guess I would have to agree, the bike seems to be a GO! :dance

Was in touch with the seller this morning, if all checks out he agreed to $8,600.00 for his FINAL SALE price.

Again, the bike has exactly 29,377 miles on the clock.

The following will be part of the sale:
- 1 BMW Tank Bag.
- 1 Shoei Helmet. (wired to the BAEHR Communication System).
-----> Still not really clear as to HOW this works and WHAT it does?
- The BMW Riders AND Maintenance Manual for the RT.
- All Maintenance Records/Paperwork for the RT.
- A battery trickle charger.

Hope I shall be a happy camper come tomorrow afternoon. :)

Been following this...sounds like a great deal. Also sounds like you have discounted any nervousness regarding it being in Craig's List. Good for you! I ride an 08 RT, and I can tell you that after virtually all types of bikes this is my favorite. Buy it, learn how to work on it, and you will even enjoy it more.

Lots of great folks here with good info on the Hexhead.

Let us know how things work out.

Whizzy Brakes

I had a 2005 same as your proposed except no radio. Very good bike with the exception of the power brakes. Not so much the noise as the abruptness at slow speeds. A quick touch gets a lot of brake at walking speeds, enough to unbalance me one time when I looked for a car noise over my shoulder. I put 30,000 on the bike and traded for the 2010. My dealer started RD service at 600 miles and kept it up. Other than the temp sensor, never any problems.

Made the change for the new engine, and especially the better brake control.

doug maccoy

Disappointed! :(

Well guys, I could not believe it happened, but the Seller sent me a text message letting me know he sold it tonight for 9500, after telling me this morning we had a DEAL for 8600.

So, he basically used me and my e-mail in order to push up the price, I am sure he told the potential buyer who showed up that he had a deal (showing him my e-mail) and was only letting it go for more money.

You think the Seller would have called me after he told me this morning he would tell the other parties showing up that I would be the one getting first dips?

WOW, VERY DISAPPOINTED and the Seller was suppossedly a Police Officer.

I am not to happy about the way this went down and can not believe that people can be this dishonest, especially a police officer.

SORRY, ................. had to let of some steam. Will now have to search for the next one. :)

Well guys, I could not believe it happened, but the Seller sent me a text message letting me know he sold it tonight for 9500, after telling me this morning we had a DEAL for 8600.

So, he basically used me and my e-mail in order to push up the price, I am sure he told the potential buyer who showed up that he had a deal (showing him my e-mail) and was only letting it go for more money.

You think the Seller would have called me after he told me this morning he would tell the other parties showing up that I would be the one getting first dips?

WOW, VERY DISAPPOINTED and the Seller was suppossedly a Police Officer.

I am not to happy about the way this went down and can not believe that people can be this dishonest, especially a police officer.

SORRY, ................. had to let of some steam. Will now have to search for the next one. :)

Did you make a sincere offer to purchase the motorcycle?

If yes, did the seller agree to sell you the motorcycle for the price offered?

If yes, did you accept in good faith that the seller intended to sell you the motorcycle?

If yes, do you have any of this in writing (or e-mail, text, etc.)?

If yes, you may have the makings for a law suit for ÔÇ£Breach of ContractÔÇØ.

ItÔÇÖs up to you if you would want to pursue this angle.

Did you make a sincere offer to purchase the motorcycle?

If yes, did the seller agree to sell you the motorcycle for the price offered?

If yes, did you accept in good faith that the seller intended to sell you the motorcycle?

If yes, do you have any of this in writing (or e-mail, text, etc.)?

If yes, you may have the makings for a law suit for ÔÇ£Breach of ContractÔÇØ.

ItÔÇÖs up to you if you would want to pursue this angle.

Yes, I have in writing via e-mail me offering him $8,500, he came back letting me know he would sell to me for 8,600, NOT 8,500.
I wrote him back that we had a DEAL for 8,600, he replied saying "Good deal, I will be waiting to review the Bill of sale" (since I had mentioned that I did prepare one for him to review).

So, what do you think? Do I have everything I need?

Yes, I have in writing via e-mail me offering him $8,500, he came back letting me know he would sell to me for 8,600, NOT 8,500.
I wrote him back that we had a DEAL for 8,600, he replied saying "Good deal, I will be waiting to review the Bill of sale" (since I had mentioned that I did prepare one for him to review).

So, what do you think? Do I have everything I need?

If you feel strongly that you have been wronged, take what documentation you have and consult an attorney who specializes in civil suits. The laws vary slightly from state to state.

As I said, you MAY (might) have the makings of a law suit, so talk to an attorney. Be aware, just to talk with an attorney to obtain their professional opinion will cost a little bit of money up front (unless you have a friend who is an attorney), so be certain you would really want to pursue this issue through the courts.

If you feel strongly that you have been wronged, take what documentation you have and consult an attorney who specializes in civil suits. The laws vary slightly from state to state.

As I said, you MAY (might) have the makings of a law suit, so talk to an attorney. Be aware, just to talk with an attorney to obtain their professional opinion will cost a little bit of money up front (unless you have a friend who is an attorney), so be certain you would really want to pursue this issue through the courts.

Thanks very much. This is not worth my time or money to fight.

Just upsets me that there are people out there that would do something like this, especially a police officer.

What is this country coming to?

Thanks very much. This is not worth my time or money to fight.

Just upsets me that there are people out there that would do something like this, especially a police officer.

What is this country coming to?

Come to? It's already been there.

I'd say the first to show up with money buys the bike, so I can't fault him. I had a "deal" with a guy here to buy a vintage but ended up finding a much better deal and went for that. Until you are there with money in hand, it is not much of a contract.

If you REALLY wanted to sue him, you'd need to buy a similar RT. Then, if you paid more, say $10k, you'd sue in small claims for the overage you paid. But, really, it was a great deal and it needed swift action. It sucks, but it happens.

Keep looking, you'll find another, probably more, but another all the same.

Last edited:
Be warned. The unofficial craigslist rule seems to be that the first one with the cash gets the goods.

I've friends who peruse craigslist for interesting bikes. They do so very early in the morning and when they find something they might like they are at the sellers location with cash in hand for a look see. They've learned, as you just did, that promises on the phone or in email are often worthless.

Be warned. The unofficial craigslist rule seems to be that the first one with the cash gets the goods.

I've friends who peruse craigslist for interesting bikes. They do so very early in the morning and when they find something they might like they are at the sellers location with cash in hand for a look see. They've learned, as you just did, that promises on the phone or in email are often worthless.

To me, it is simply about honesty, PERIOD. Cash in hand or not, I would not make a deal unless I would inform the other party that if someone shows up in the meantime, the bike would be sold to the highest bidder.

AND, .......... Have you ever paid 9,500 for something that was advertised for 8,799? The Seller clearly used my e-mail agreement with him to drive the price up for his own benefit.

To me, that is morally wrong, ......... Regardless of the rules, SORRY!

Back