• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Selling a non-USA plated R1200RT in the USA?

enriquez

Hi folks,

This year I had the pleasure of riding my 2012 R1200RT from Guatemala to Richmond, VA for the national and I had a great time!

I left my bike stored at an independent BMW shop 30mins from rally site in VA where I expected to pick it back this October and ride it back home. Unfortunately, life got it the way and I won’t be able to go back this year. Perhaps I would be able to go back in May next year, but that’s in the air too.

Considering my options, it occurred to me that perhaps somebody would be interested in buying a Guatemalan plated bike in the USA, for the right price of course.

Has anybody here done such a transaction? How involved is the paperwork? Any idea of what good price would be?

Thanks for your advice.

Regards,
Mario

Hi folks,

This year I had the pleasure of riding my 2012 R1200RT from Guatemala to Richmond, VA for the national and I had a great time!

I left my bike stored at an independent BMW shop 30mins from rally site in VA where I expected to pick it back this October and ride it back home. Unfortunately, life got it the way and I won’t be able to go back this year. Perhaps I would be able to go back in May next year, but that’s in the air too.

Considering my options, it occurred to me that perhaps somebody would be interested in buying a Guatemalan plated bike in the USA, for the right price of course.

Has anybody here done such a transaction? How involved is the paperwork? Any idea of what good price would be?

Thanks for your advice.

Regards,
Mario
What paperwork did you fill out when you brought it into the US? That's the first step.Then you need to register it and obtain a proper title so you can then sell and sign the title over.

What paperwork did you fill out when you brought it into the US? That's the first step.Then you need to register it and obtain a proper title so you can then sell and sign the title over.

Papework at the border is mainly a permit on my passport to use the road and proof the bike was interned legally, as the bike wasn't being imported.

The bike dash in KM instead of miles, which make me believe is more of a EURO spec.

Regards,
Mario

You are going need to legally import the bike into the US in order to register it in the US. Best to Google the US gov web sites for the specific details

Having previously tried to import my Honda Civic 1992. You need to obtain proper paperwork stating you're legally importing the motorcycle. I was not succesfull for other reasons. But you'll need to obtain a letter from BMW Motorrad US stating your VIN satisfies and meets US DOT standards, once you have that letter you then take that letter and complete the IMPORT process with US Customs. And then you obtain a Title from your local authorities.

Back