• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

$$$ for a new '18 RT?

dlong

My buddy is ready to move up from his '05 Hexhead to a RT LC. The local dealer has a handful of new '18's fully optioned for an asking price of about 22,500. I'm sure he can do much better than that. Hard to know about direct to dealer incentives and the like. Anyone care to share their buying experience recently, or have you all been seduced by the 1250?

What did you tell him about the deal you got on your's?

Sounds like he has some hesitation. Does he need convincing? Has he ridden your's yet?

E.

Last edited:
Bought mine almost one year ago...I'd be surprised if better deals than I negotiated are not available. He has had a standing offer to ride my bike since I brought it home. He's was not much interested in the upgrade until he dropped his '05 on an icy uphill curve. His decision is not what to buy, but whether to buy it new or used.

Just got my fully loaded Mars red 18 r1200RT last Wednesday. 75 miles over to Sportland in Urbana Ill. Only because my local dealer in Indy had no 18s. $24300 on sale for $19500. No other options to be had on this bike, except 719 paint and fancy leather seat. I think I did really Good. My local dealer said " I can`t come close on that price " when I showed him the bike on line.

I shopped the used market.

Ended up with a fully optioned 2017 RTW 7800 miles Alpine white.

At a very good price from a private seller. It does require patience to call and meet private sellers. But the deals are worth it.

When the R1250RT came out BMW offered incentives on the '18 models to help dealers move them. At $22500 the dealer is making the same money they were at full price so the dealer can come down from that priceif they want to. Now knowing that, what difference does it make? The dealer will make the deal he is comfortable with.

Part or getting a good deal is being loyal to a dealer. Part of that deal is that publicly you say they gave you a fair price and their service and the way they take care of you are worth any extra you may pay.

Basically, never kiss and tell.

The motorcycle business is much harder than most people would imagine.

You need to make a profit to put a roof over your head and food on the table, the dealers don't deserve that?

I buy motorcycles from people who have become my friends. Its not a commodity, you're not buying a Corolla where there are 200 million potential buyers.

People get mad because there are not enough dealers to support the brand, but then they beat every cent out of every purchase. Know why there are huge swaths of the US without a BMW dealer? Because the math does not work out, people simply cant make it unless you are fairly wealthy to start with and you do it for a hobby.

How many of you would do your job for fun because your customers beat the profitability out of you?

He should be able to do a lot better than $22000. Here in StL they have a 2018 red RT with all the goodies for $18990. I got my 18 back in November the price was still a lot better than $22000. You can a new 1250 loaded for around $24300

My dealer got a bunch of 2018's from BMW North America about a month or 2 ago and was selling them for about $18,500. Most were really loaded. My other buddy landed a 2018 in November for $5000 off list. There is apparently a lot of 2018's still out there and there are some good deals. The price your dealer is showing you seem crazy high for a 2018.

Just checked my dealer, Motorcycles of Charlotte and they have a 2018 at $5500 off list ... at $18440 !

Back