• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Upgrade to 2022 RT or stay with the 2015 RT ???

anandkrish1

I am hoping I can get some opinions/thoughts if I should upgrade to the 2022 R1250 RT or not. I am currently on a 2015 RT with every option available from BMW for that year except the nav, and then some including the large BMW top case(2 full face helmets) with brake lights, aux lights etc etc etc. The current one has about 62.5K Miles on it and zero issues. I obsessively maintain the bike and have every service record documented since I have owned it. I ride about 10-12K miles/year and all year

I have one on order and expected to arrive at my local dealer in the next month or so. The biggest attraction for me was the ACC on the new RTs for those long hours on the interstates. The larger screen and the shift cam engine are nice but not entirely sold on the upgrade from the 1200 wet head.

Hence my question: Is it really worth upgrading considering that I have the 2015 RT?? Not an option to keep it as I already have an F700GS as well :-(

My dealer is offering $7K on trade (excluding the top case which I have decided to keep) as it fits the new RT. He says that fair price because of the high miles, but it feels low. Any opinions on fair trade/private party value is also appreciated. A few pics attached

IMG_7497.pngIMG_7499.jpgIMG_7494.jpg

Go for the new bike if it fits into your budget. You only live once. And definitely sell the old bike privately.

I too am selling my Wethead and buying a 2022. You can always get more if you sell the bike privately, but I'm sure you know that. If you don't want to do that I'd find a dealer that will take it on consignment. It would be best of you did this with your new bike dealer and have it close before you pay for the new bike if your state has a sale tax, you could save hundreds. But for sure treat yourself to the new bike, that's what I'm doing.

I traded my 11 in on a new 22. The price the dealer is giving you is probably in line with KBB.
I don’t want the hassle of selling privately. The whole issue with lowball offers, wanting to see the bike then not showing, wanting to ride the bike but not having cash before they can etc. not to mention the time it may take to sell.
Did I get a couple thousand less? Yes but I rode in on an old bike and rode out on a new one. To me it was worth it.

You know the bike, it's service, and potential. Loved mine but had the faulty cams, twice, so had no choice, good luck.

I am hoping I can get some opinions/thoughts if I should upgrade to the 2022 R1250 RT or not. I am currently on a 2015 RT with every option available from BMW for that year except the nav, and then some including the large BMW top case(2 full face helmets) with brake lights, aux lights etc etc etc. The current one has about 62.5K Miles on it and zero issues. I obsessively maintain the bike and have every service record documented since I have owned it. I ride about 10-12K miles/year and all year

I have one on order and expected to arrive at my local dealer in the next month or so. The biggest attraction for me was the ACC on the new RTs for those long hours on the interstates. The larger screen and the shift cam engine are nice but not entirely sold on the upgrade from the 1200 wet head.

Hence my question: Is it really worth upgrading considering that I have the 2015 RT?? Not an option to keep it as I already have an F700GS as well :-(

My dealer is offering $7K on trade (excluding the top case which I have decided to keep) as it fits the new RT. He says that fair price because of the high miles, but it feels low. Any opinions on fair trade/private party value is also appreciated. A few pics attached

I would go with the 2022RT and maybe sell your current ride privately. $7K trade may be a ballpark price , I always check with Kelly Blue Book or the ADA for reasonable current value. I traded my 18RT in with 111+K miles and got $9,750 in trade last September so you may be able to get more than the $7K the dealer offered , and by the way 62.5K isn't high millage for a Beemer , every one I have traded in was over100K miles and the dealer didn't have any problem selling them. Good luck on your decision and keep it rubber side down !

My riding buddy's dilemma, doo

My riding buddy has the same dilemma: his 2015 RT is in perfect condition, but now has around 45k miles (which is "high" for his ownership history, but not mine) sp je's likely getting a new RT. He was thinking he was going to have an expensive scheduled service that could be avoided by getting a new bike, but I don't think that is a real consideration. My 2016 1200GS has about 60k, runs fine, and I am riding it into the indefinite future.

My riding buddy has the same dilemma: his 2015 RT is in perfect condition, but now has around 45k miles (which is "high" for his ownership history, but not mine) sp je's likely getting a new RT. He was thinking he was going to have an expensive scheduled service that could be avoided by getting a new bike, but I don't think that is a real consideration. My 2016 1200GS has about 60k, runs fine, and I am riding it into the indefinite future.

Like selling a house, buyers that pay top dollar want it move in ready. When buying a bike, buyers want good tires and recent service, ready to ride.

I had a similar choice. I decided against buying the newer RT with the integrated display. Instead I bought a used low-mile 2019. In your case, you should be able to get a 2020 with some remaining warranty.

I am really pleased with my 2019 RT. The shift assist is improved over my 2017 R1200RT. The suspension calibration is very much improved, such that the "soft" setting for freeway cruising is actually comfortable. The 1250 engine has better low-end torque than the 1200 wethead, and is better at droning along on the freeway. At higher RPMs, the 1200 and the 1250 are very similar. My 2019 came with the Brembo brake fix, and the brakes are excellent.

Cap

Thank you all for the feedback

I appreciate the different view points. I have decided I will keep my 2015, while it would be nice with the upgrades, they are not enough to warrant a monthly payment and take a low ball offer from the dealer. Guess I will be riding this for the foreseeable future as I did with my 02 RT that I sold at 110K miles.

Back