• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New member on Vancouver Island

DavidR8

Hello all, been riding a Honda ST1300 since 2017 putting on a paltry 14,000 kms in that time (blame it on Covid!) Did two long trips; 2300 kms down to Eureka CA in 2018 and 2400 out to Edmonton in 2019. The Covid came and we basically did day trips so no big distances.
Really like the ST but man it's a heavy bike and hard to move around. And it has no creature comforts.
ST1300.jpg
When I bought the ST I also had the FJR and the R1200RT on my short list. I didn't get on with the FJR and couldn't find an RT in my price range.

Fast forward to this summer when I was looking again as the weight of the ST was just too much.
In July I saw a 2013 RT (the year and colour I wanted!) at my local dealer but it needed "seals". I didn't know if that was rear main seal and I wasn't looking for a project at the time and the price wasn't right. So I passed on it.
Last Saturday it was raining cats and dogs so I went by the dealer last Saturday and I needed a pick me up.
Lo and behold the RT was still there. The dealership has been in the process of moving for the last six months so in a state of upheaval.
Had the 90,000 km service done, rear drive service, new brakes, brakes and all fluids changed.
Put a deposit down and I pick it up on Saturday.
Totally stoked!
2013_R1200RT.jpeg

Last edited:
Interestingly I have a Cal Sci screen for my ST and don't like it. It creates a real vacuum where the pillion passenger is pushed forward.
Of course the RT is a completely different bike so it may not do that.
Interesting indeed. No complaints from my wife with 60K two up miles on the RT.

Welcome to BMW and the MAO.
Did you see the MOA will have a National rally in Redmod Or. this June?

Yeah, Willkommen from the Tennessee River valley! Hope U won't have to wait too long to go for a 2024 ride on your selected RT! Hope it works out for U the way you've been dreaming about for oh so many years, Look us up the next time you're rolling thru Alabama! C U in OR in June... Ciao, HSV-Phil & HSV-Karen 🗺+🏍+🏕+🛵=🤗&🤠

Yeah, Willkommen from the Tennessee River valley! Hope U won't have to wait too long to go for a 2024 ride on your selected RT! Hope it works out for U the way you've been dreaming about for oh so many years, Look us up the next time you're rolling thru Alabama! C U in OR in June... Ciao, HSV-Phil & HSV-Karen 🗺+🏍+🏕+🛵=🤗&🤠
Lucky for me it’s riding season all year here. I’ll ride it home on Saturday! 😎

Welcome DavidR8! Beautiful bike (nice ST as well). Thanks for posting the pics. Did you ever get an answer to what seals the dealer thought it needed?

Welcome DavidR8! Beautiful bike (nice ST as well). Thanks for posting the pics. Did you ever get an answer to what seals the dealer thought it needed?
It turned out that it wasn't the rear main seal, it was the final drive seals. Miscommunication between the mechanic and sales person.
I chatted with the chief mechanic last Saturday and he walked me through all the service records for the bike.

Back