• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Rain gear suggestions

Frogg toggs for extra rain gear, But I too went to waterproof gear, would never go back. BMW Atlantis pants and Olympia Airglide 3 layer jacket. Outer is mesh for hot weather, rainproof inner liner and thermal 3rd liner. Good for any weather and has been absolutely waterproof for 3 or 4 years now.

Here's an interesting and reasonably objective comparison of a number of brands of waterproof motorcycle gear.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtCdQfbLw7o

My own raingear is the following, which I always keep on the bike and put on if a decent rain threatens. These are both readily available in Australia, but not sure about other countries.

DriRider Thuderwear2 Hi Vis Jacket
http://www.dririder.com.au/all-products/thunderwear-2-jacket
My previous version of the same jacket lasted around six years and was finally retired when the material showed pinholes in the areas where the fabric flexes a lot.

Ixon Thunder Rain Pants
http://www.ficeda.com.au/catalog/product/view/id/17414/s/e4507h3/category/883/
There are dual layer 100% waterproof pants, which have velcro closures on the bottom, such that they can be put on withour removing my boots. My previous pair of these also lasted many years, but gave up the ghost when the taped and heat sealed crotch seam weakened and pinholes appeared, wetting my arse in a big rain.

I use Olympia Omni Tech. It's lifetime guaranteed. I've had the pants for 10 years. I'm on the second jacket the shoulders wore thin. They gave me a E credit & I bought two jackets for the price of one online on cyber Monday. I'm guessing I had over 30,000 miles on the first jacket.

I use Olympia Omni Tech. It's lifetime guaranteed. I've had the pants for 10 years. I'm on the second jacket the shoulders wore thin. They gave me a E credit & I bought two jackets for the price of one online on cyber Monday. I'm guessing I had over 30,000 miles on the first jacket.

Lousy piece of crap! :dance :laugh:laugh:laugh

Thanks, I just watched it and it is eye opening. If you just consider keeping you dry (waterproofness and breathability), this is good.
One thing missing however is the you get what you pay for factor. There are no cheap GoreTex gear and plenty of cheap others. GoreTex gear being expensive, they usually are well made and will resist wear and tear a lot longer than cheaper products. I've had different types of GoreTex equipment and have never been dissatisfied. I also have the cheaper stuff and my expectations are proportional to what I paid.

I have ridden all day in lots of heavy downpours and the only time I have been wet is when the water leaked under the front of the helmet and when caught is a monsoon in traffic with all the vents open. Good gortex gear rules. Plus if it leaks it is returnable. The key to maintaining the gear is to occasionally clean the outer shell and renew the water repellent aspect. If not the moisture will get inside the shell and you will feel wet even though you may may be dry. I have used gortex since it came out. The use has improved greatly however the same principles of shell care have always made for a better result.

Klim Badlands Pro jacket and pants here. Have had the set for about 3 years, and love it. Never failed in the rain.

Back