• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Mercruiser Oil

HowardR1200RT

Hate to start an oil thread but I'm going to anyway. Wal-Mart sells Mercuiser oil labeled specifically for twin engine motorcycles. Label says meets all manufacturer specs and is designed for high temp and load of twins. Not just Harley by the way.
Has anyone tried it or are there any opinions.

I was unable to find something that said for motorcycles on Walmart's site. What's the specific name and weight? Also, what are the API or JASO ratings for the oil? How do those ratings match what's required for your bike? I'm guessing the Mercruiser oil is originally designed for a boat engine environment...are boat engines water cooled?

From what I have read, Mercruser is marine oil also sold under the Quicksilver brand.

According to several sites, it was JA certified as of 2014.

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/landing/oils-and-lubricants/

Now far be it for me to list anything authoritative on the subject per si, given its marine use and marine grade, I think it might work, but always check the ratings and standards. There are many a bike that has older oil certs. that do not meet with current types.

so be careful and do full research.

The only stuff I found was 25W40 oil, and I found no mention of API or JASO ratings. I am not aware of any BMW motorcycle that has 25W40 wt oil specified.

twin cylinder

Oops my original post said twin engine of course meant twin cylinder. The Mercury oil I was asking about is not the marine oil and I believe the label is actually their Quicksilver brand, it states on the bottle (1 Gal) that it is for all twin cylinder motorcycles. I'll try and get a pic if possible, but it is for motorcycles and label states exceeds all manufacturers specs.

This link shows QuickSilver motorcycle specific oils in four viscosities; all are labled as "JASO Certified". QuickSilver appears to be the name used for Mercruiser motorcycle oils.

"Quicksilver is the premier supplier of Mercury Marine Original Equipment replacement parts and accessories. The two brands share the same DNA and same brand promise. The main differences between the two brands is where they are sold and the larger breadth of products available under the Quicksilver brand. Mercury products are sold only by Mercury Marine dealerships. Quicksilver products are available in retail stores, independent marine dealerships, powersports dealerships and local convenience stores – just about everywhere marine and powersports parts, accessories and engine care products are found. Quicksilver offers 40,000+ parts across 12 product lines, and our products can be found throughout the world."

https://www.quicksilver-products.com

https://www.quicksilver-products.com/powersports/motorcycle/engine-oils/

Back