• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Honked Off

rvint

About a year after purchasing my 2015 1200RT, the stock horn suddenly stopped working. So, when at the dealer for a service light reset, I had them install a Denali Sound Bomb. All was well until about three days after the warranty expired on the horn when I noticed that it too was no longer working. I immediately contacted a representative from he company who was very helpful and agreed to send me a replacement. Now, after not much more than a year later, the second Denali horn is shot and while technically works, makes a sound that attracts injured moose. Needless to say that while I really liked the horn, I'm now gun-shy to purchase another one. Can anyone suggest a horn that has some longevity to it? and Preferably one that would not require a total rewiring job. I had been looking into the Wolo 'Bad Boy' but read that it will not work with a bike that has an alarm system. I'm not sure what difference that makes (and don't really care) but that's what I read. I have had absolutely no electrical issues with the bike and have no idea as to why I'm having such an problem with the horn because the bike has been absolutely flawless otherwise. Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

I've been using a Stebel Nautilus horn; with relay kit for a few years with no issues.

Joe

Fiamm Freeway Blasters would be my recommendation. They make a low and a high tone. If only using one, use a low tone. On my 2017 GS I have just the low tone and it works without a relay, as the current draw is close to the OEM horn.

Just saw this over on BMWST site: BMW Dual Horns

Honked off

I tried one of the air style horns on my 2006 RT and it worked fine for years. However it's pitch was high enough that at higher speeds no one heard it do to the windows rolled up and radios on or kids in the back seat. On my 2016 I added (at the dealers suggestion) a BMW car horn that they carried in stock. Much louder than stock and hooks in with out additional wiring or bolting (though not the 120+ db of your horn) and a lower tone. Still not that good in use on my way to the national. BUT there I had Clearwater fix my lights to the horn so they strobe. TRUST me this gets peoples attention. Proved on the way home against a trucker taking my lane and pushing me at over 70 over the left side rumble strips.

Tom Casey
16 R12RTW
75 R75/6

Could anyone with the Stebel Nautilus advise as to the components needed...horn, relay etc. and the wiring method?

Thanks - JG

I had Clearwater fix my lights to the horn so they strobe. TRUST me this gets peoples attention. Proved on the way home against a trucker taking my lane and pushing me at over 70 over the left side rumble strips.

That is what I have on my '15 and '17 RTs -- Clearwater's Erica lights set to strobe with my Stebel horn when pressing the horn button. This combination is the most effective attention getter I have ever had on a motorcycle. Stops cars in their tracks or keeps them in their lanes. I recommend this dual installation to all riders to enhance their safety when riding.

https://www.clearwaterlights.com/products/erica-1?variant=21518682885

https://www.amazon.com/Stebel-11690019-Nautilus-Compact-Black/dp/B00CMX20H4

P.S. On the Clearwater lights, I use the yellow covers, which makes them stand out better with all the white lights on the road. In AZ a cop told me, "turn off the yellow lights." So now I carry a copy of the AZ statutes that specifically allow forward facing yellow lights on motor vehicles.

Attachments

• ericas-bright.jpg
    ericas-bright.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
P.S. On the Clearwater lights, I use the yellow covers, which makes them stand out better with all the white lights on the road. In AZ a cop told me, "turn off the yellow lights." So now I carry a copy of the AZ statutes that specifically allow forward facing yellow lights on motor vehicles.[/QUOTE]

Ditto on the yellow covers.. Yea gets people to move

Tom Casey

Back