• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

"New" fuel strip replacement; any additional parts needed for job?

midwestpirate

New to me 2010 R1200RT. Fuel gauge worked properly for a week after I purchased the bike. Couple days ago, was out riding, gauge functioned properly for around 30 minutes, then nothing.

Instead of doing the fuel strip zap I've seen and read so much about, I'd like to replace the strip with the "new" version, part 16-14-1-600-132. Cost appears to be around $263.

Should I replace anything else while I'm in there? Seals, o-rings, etc? I intend to purchase a GS-911 anyway, so I guess that cost would go toward the savings on paying the dealer to do it.

BTW, I did speak with a local dealer service rep. He said the strip and fuel pump were replaced in 2021, so that fulfilled the BMW warranty obligation, so I'm not eligible to have it replaced under warranty. Sound right, or bs?

Last edited:
Dealer said it was replaced in April 2021. I called BMW customer service just to make sure. The customer service rep had opinions, but no BMW policy on the matter, then said go to a dealer.

Then the two year parts warranty ran out for your old strip so yes you have to pay for your next strip. I wrote the article Kurt gave you the link to and it does have a lot of good info on the strips. If the pump was replaced in 2021 then the gasket is probably good so no need for that as long as you don't mess it up yourself. If you still have the plastic quick disconnects I would upgrade them. There is a torque value for the fuel pump locking ring which requires a special tool if you want to do that. Read my post and feel free to PM me if you need help or have other questions.

The new strip hasn't been out long enough to actually know if it is improved. We can only hope until it proves out.

You will need the GS-911 to calibrate it. You can also use the Motoscan app and an OBDII scan tool which is cheaper.

Thank you for your help. Much appreciated.

I did some research concerning the GS-911 and Motoscan. I'd like to get the GS-911, as I have experience synchronizing bike carbs over the years, and the GS-911 has the feature to "properly" perform the sync (unless Motoscan has recent updates I haven't read about).

The "special" tool to torque the ring, would you happen to know the cost, or if it's reasonable enough to fashion a DIY tool? Haven't seen the tool in the videos I've been watching.

After re-watching some videos, I was all set to get a fresh pump sealing ring with the fuel strip. For the price, probably a good idea. I've seen the fuel line upgrade. Replaces the plastic with brass and stainless, correct?

Grumble. I was so psyched the fuel gauge was operating properly. I thought it was actually fairly accurate. Before it failed, I disconnected the battery to swap out some expired bulbs; was careful reconnecting everything. Everything functioned properly when I went on a ride afterward, then noticed about 30 minutes in the gauge was showing empty and the yellow triangle of frustration was lit. I had plenty of fuel in there before the ride, and filled up after just to see if the gauge/strip would respond. I also disconnected the battery overnight to see if something needed a hard reboot.

I did replace the parking bulbs with Sylvania LEDs, but read up on them before installing just in case of a CANBUS interference. I read there wasn't.

Thanks again for all the help. Dealer set aside the updated strip and pump ring for me. Amazon's got the pump ring tool reasonably priced.

This may be a late autumn project, as the riding weather is still good. I might as well try the piezo zap trick for now. If it works, great; if not, I'll watch the trip meter.

On another note, I noticed the Power Commander in the photos. Did you see appreciable improvements throughout the rpm range? Not on the agenda for me at this time; something I'm considering for a later date.

BTW, you have to provide the updated fuel strip part number, or they may only find the older part (habit, system, etc). The parts rep was unaware of the updated #, and appreciated I had the number handy.

Thanks again for all the help. Dealer set aside the updated strip and pump ring for me. Amazon's got the pump ring tool reasonably priced.

This may be a late autumn project, as the riding weather is still good. I might as well try the piezo zap trick for now. If it works, great; if not, I'll watch the trip meter.

On another note, I noticed the Power Commander in the photos. Did you see appreciable improvements throughout the rpm range? Not on the agenda for me at this time; something I'm considering for a later date.

BTW, you have to provide the updated fuel strip part number, or they may only find the older part (habit, system, etc). The parts rep was unaware of the updated #, and appreciated I had the number handy.

The PC was installed when I purchased the bike so I can't speak to whatever difference it made because I have never ridden without it.

I am just amazed that you would have to supply that info to a dealer since the MaxBMW parts fiche shows the old NLA and supplies the new part number.

max.jpg

I have my bike scheduled to have the fuel strip replaced. Apparently the dealership has done many of them as the service tech said they keep them in stock.

It will be good to have a working fuel gauge....for however long it works.

Back