• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Strange tachometer behavior

billyfeet

My R1100RT has been sitting idle for 1 1/2 years. The battery was totally dead even though it had been on a maintainer. I purchased a new battery and installed it. The bike fired right up and seems to run just fine. I have only done some short rides since and have noticed that the tach does nor seem to indicate as mush RPM as I think the bike is turning. I know what the. Ike sounds like and what the RPM should be at various speeds and gear positions. I am quite sure that the tach is not accurate. No bouncing of the tach….no misfiring…but I suspect that Hall sensor is original and may be ready to give me grief. I hope someone has an idea what would cause this malfunction of tach. Fuel gauge and oil temp and clock all working fine. Engine runs fine and seems to idle at the normal 1200 RPM by sound….tach reads 1400-1500 at idle….idle does not sound high. Any ideas are appreciated.

Your tach's pin #2 is driven directly from pin 19 ("Z1") of the Motronic, and this is also connected to one side of your ignition coil. While the HES (High Energy Spittensparker) for these years is known to have insulation problems within its sub-harness, this typically causes coughing and spitting of the engine, so it's "possibly" not the HES causing the issue, but it may be about to fail.
Pin 3 of the tach is ground; pin 1 is the +12 volts.
You can use an inductive (clip on, no actual electrical contact) timing light just to see if you have good consistent spark on both sides; also try to trace the tach's wiring back upstream, there may be something goofy going on there.

Back