• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2016 R1200 RT - horn shorts out?

RANBUSH

Ran Bush
Another discovery on the new-to-me 2016 R1200 RT. Yesterday a driver runs a red light in front of me (very common in the San Fran Bay area these days) and I give her a loud blast on the horn, and the horn dies after about three seconds. Didn't work again until I turned the motor off and back on again.

The horn doesn't short out if I just beep-beep-beep but a long beeeeeeeep kills it. I'm assuming it's the horn relay, but the schematic in the Haynes manual doesn't show the horn relay, and the text section about the horn just shows removal of the horn, nothing about the location of the relay.

I'm planning on installing a Sound Bomb anyway, but I doubt that the OEM horn is the problem.

Can anyone tell me where the horn relay is located on a 2016 R1200 RT?

overload to canbus explains reset after shut down. Horn may be bad, but I would also check connection to horn make sure tight and clean.

overload to canbus explains reset after shut down. Horn may be bad, but I would also check connection to horn make sure tight and clean.

Yes, and the best reason yet for wiring aftermarket horns direct to the battery, through a relay controlled by the OEM horn circuit. You get a louder horn and no CanBus cutout.

Best,
DeVern

Another discovery on the new-to-me 2016 R1200 RT. Yesterday a driver runs a red light in front of me (very common in the San Fran Bay area these days) and I give her a loud blast on the horn, and the horn dies after about three seconds. Didn't work again until I turned the motor off and back on again.

The horn doesn't short out if I just beep-beep-beep but a long beeeeeeeep kills it. I'm assuming it's the horn relay, but the schematic in the Haynes manual doesn't show the horn relay, and the text section about the horn just shows removal of the horn, nothing about the location of the relay.

I'm planning on installing a Sound Bomb anyway, but I doubt that the OEM horn is the problem.

Can anyone tell me where the horn relay is located on a 2016 R1200 RT?

I know yours is a lot newer than mine, but I had similar problems on my 05 RT and it turned out there was a recall for it.

:rofl

Spoken like a true Texan. Be careful how you honk at the bulls.

E.

In the inimitable words of a cowboy in the movie Red River (which I just watched after being accused of being like John Wayne in that movie)....."Stampede!!"

I once tried using the horn—a loud one—to convince a Jellystone bison to exit the roadway, at a distance of 70 meters or so. His reaction—holding his ground while head-tossing and pawing the asphalt—convinced me I needed more distance between us and more time to let him decide to mosey on. The scenery was beautiful while I waited…

Best,
DeVern

> Can anyone tell me where the horn relay is located on a 2016 R1200 RT?
> ... a relay controlled by the OEM horn circuit.

Thanks again, still hoping for some info on where the horn relay is located, or info on which connector is the OEM horn circuit that DeVern mentioned.

Does the cutout only occur when the horn is activated for more than three seconds? If so then you know it is not hardware in the circuit but rather the controller doing its job. If you decide to change the hardware as suggested hooked direct to the battery then you will need a new relay for the new circuit you create I believe. In that case you would probably want to trigger that relay with a non CanBus controlled power source.

> Can anyone tell me where the horn relay is located on a 2016 R1200 RT?
> ... a relay controlled by the OEM horn circuit.

Thanks again, still hoping for some info on where the horn relay is located, or info on which connector is the OEM horn circuit that DeVern mentioned.

Ran,

Most folks just disconnect the power wire from the old horn and connect it to the trigger input of an off-the-shelf 4-pole automotive relay, available at any auto parts store, and use that to trigger the relay to feed 12v direct from the battery to the auxiliary horn. Refer to the diagram below.

And yes, it means you have two relays in the circuit (OEM and the add-on one), but also means no digging into the OEM harness or fuse box and a setup that is easily and completely reverted back to OEM at a future date.

IMG_0343.jpeg

Be sure to use a fuse on the lead you run from battery to the new relay.

Best,
DeVern

Ran,

Most folks just disconnect the power wire from the old horn and connect it to the trigger input of an off-the-shelf 4-pole automotive relay, available at any auto parts store, and use that to trigger the relay to feed 12v direct from the battery to the auxiliary horn. Refer to the diagram below.

And yes, it means you have two relays in the circuit (OEM and the add-on one), but also means no digging into the OEM harness or fuse box and a setup that is easily and completely reverted back to OEM at a future date.

View attachment 92972

Be sure to use a fuse on the lead you run from battery to the new relay.

Best,
DeVern
Always great when a member posts up a clear diagram of how a relay needs to be wired. :thumb

OM

Back