• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2013 R1200GS time for a new battery

mustangguy

It seems like 5 years is about the life expectancy of a new vehicle battery, and mine is cranking slowly and sometimes not at all. So I started looking for a battery for it, and holy smokes there are a lot of choices and variables to consider.

When I compare batteries, the YUASA YTZ14S MF is 3 to 4 times more expensive than any other lead/acid battery, and yet it is the one of the only batteries that has consistently good reviews. Nevertheless, why do people pay $155 for one instead of $45 for a MightyMax YTZ14S with the exact same electrical specs?

I am also curious about Lithium Ion batteries. They have way more CCA, but you need a special charger, they have less reserve power, and on top of that are very pricey. I am kind of thinking they wouldn't be so good for me, but all the same, is is a consideration.

What are your thoughts and experiences about replacement batteries? I am about 5 minutes from clicking buy now on the $45 one...

EDIT: I have ordered a MightyMax. I will report back when I get it as to it's fit and build quality. I will, at a much later date, report back and let everyone know if it performed well.

Last edited:
I had to replace the one on my 2008 GS, I think it was around $85.00 at Walmart and that was for a AGM battery. Knock on wood, the one in my 2013 GS is still good (for now), if she goes I'll buy another one from Walmart.

I was truly ready to pull the trigger on the MotoBatt AGM with it's extra terminal posts for accessories, but when I went to look at it I found out that the one that fits my bike is their MBTX9U with space plates. It is 1.4 lbs lighter and only 160 cca, where the YAUSA and the MightyMax are both 230 CCA. That is 30% less!

Dealer didn't have one in stock and the price was like $225 if they ordered. He said try Westco and see what I think. I looked them up and they don't even sell a battery this size.

I have decided to order a MightyMax.

Batteries Plus

1. YMMV

2. I went with a Duracel AGM from Batteries + yesterday for my 2010 R1200r. I believe all hexheads use the same spec battery.
$121.77 with 2 year warranty. We'll see how it holds up.

I was fueling up today and the bike wouldn't start. Luckily, there was a smooth concrete hill going out the back and I bump started it.

Back