• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Replacement Battery Info for R1200RT WetHead/R1250RT ShiftHead

That is absolutely true. They are packing more, thinner plates into small cases to increase battery amperage at the expense of durability. The typical VRLA (valve regulated lead acid) sealed battery failure today is not chemical depletion: it is a mechanical failure due to a fractured inter-cell or inter-plate connector.

Are you saying that the low capacity batteries could last longer because of thicker plates?

ANY battery, either with higher or lower capacity, can develop an internal short from exfoliation of plate material that bridges between the plates that will discharge a battery.

I started this thread after I had a sudden failure of a battery when just starting out for a 3 week trip.
Mine failed while refueling at 0430 on I-95 in central Conn. It was only about 12mi to the nearest Walmart that opened about 0630 if I remember correctly. I had my battery's dimensions since I had taken the battery out of the bike ready for a quick swap.
The battery that I had to choose was the correct width across the bike and the correct thickness front to back on the bike, but was not as tall as the OEM battery...good enough for me to get down the road thru NYC and points south.
I think my failure was an internal short from exfoliating plate material...which can happen to ANY battery, at ANY time...makes no difference if it's OEM, cheap, expensive with lots of reviews...no matter, it's a physical device with a possibility that a short like this can happen. It wouldn't take a jump from my compact power pack that is supposed to start a full size V-8 10 times or some kind promise, or from a car. The battery was a direct short in the electrical system and until I replaced the battery, it would not crank at all.
The only battery they had with dimensions to fit the bike was an EverStart Group 14 battery, and it cranked the bike right up and worked fine for 3 weeks until I was able to order a Group 20 battery.
The battery that I ordered from Walmart.com so I could exchange the EverStart battery was a YTX20CH-BS High Performance Sealed AGM battery. Cost $59.80
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ytx20Ch-Bs-High-Performance-Maintenance-Free-Sealed-Agm-Motorcycle-Battery/35451182
This battery worked perfectly for 2 years and about 30k miles...until I was rear-ended and my 2016RT was totaled.

Battery failure and tire failure are things that can happen at anytime, anywhere, so sorry that no one has a good answer about these things. Usually they are working good until they are not.

Here's the difference between the first battery (wrong size) and the correct battery in all dimensions.
IMG_3261-M.jpg

My bike is a 2019 R1250RT with the original battery. How long do these batteries last? My battery is three years old now; no signs of weakness. I do keep it on the BMW charger: https://www.shopbmwmotorcycle.com/products/bmw-motorcycles-can-bus-battery-charger .
Sure wouldn't want to have battery failure out in the middle of Nowhere, Nuevo Mexico.

It is a crap shoot. Some last for years, some 3-4 years. The battery in my 2018 RT seemed a bit weak last summer so I swapped it out. If the engine didn't fire on the first poke of the button, the second attempt it cranked slowly. The cost of the battery is much less when you have time to find one!

I bought a re-badged Yuasa from Interstate battery.

Beware of old batteries

My wife had her battery replaced two years ago at the BMW dealer here in Sherbrooke, QC. It was dead this spring despite using the appropriate smart charger. When I pulled it out I saw that the battery had been manufactured in 2016. Since it was a sealed battery it would have needed to be kept charged by the dealer, not just stuck on the parts shelf. When I discussed this with a local auto electric guy he said he's seen many of the bigger retailers by batteries in bulk to save money, but not keep them maintained. That's likely why ours failed.

As an aside, checking the date code on most products may surprise you. This includes, ink/toner cartridges, tires, rust stabilizer products and so on. Some of these products are get aged and “blown out” to online retailers.
OM

I just replaced my 17 GS with a Yuasa 14 series.

First I could not find a 16 series anywhere. Second I like the 14 as it is a dry battery and comes with a pretty advanced acid pack. It is a hard plastic with spouts you peel the seal off, push it down into the battery and it fills with the acid in each cell. Let it sit for 30-60 mins for the plates to absorb and put it on a charger.

It took my Optimate 2, 4 hours to run the test, and bring it to full charge all green lights. I think it was 107 to my door off Amazon. I see they are 97.00 now. You can store a dry battery for a long time so it is nice to have if you suspect your battery.

I do not know dimension difference from a 14 series and a 16 series and never looked since I could not find one. As I say I put this in my 17 GS and it was the exact size of the OEM BMW.

Just throwing it out for reference.

battery+swap.JPG

No Warning Sign?

Rode to Tractor Supply this morning. Left the store and my bike would not start. 2019 R1250RT with original battery, 34677 miles. Pulled the old battery out and walked back into the store. They had an Interstate FAITX14H battery; matching length and width but shorter in height. Beggars (stranded bikers) can't be choosers.
Installed the battery and rode home. Had planned on buying a YTX20CH-BS when needed, but ... my battery failed with NO warning signs. Now, I will run this 14H battery until it fails.
Is it possible to buy a YTX20CH-BS and keep it on a shelf (Battery Tender connected) to be ready when needed? Obvious downside would be battery failure when out on the road, "new" battery back home in the garage. I do carry a MicroStart when on a big trip, hopefully could start bike and get
headed to the nearest shop.

Rode to Tractor Supply this morning. Left the store and my bike would not start. 2019 R1250RT with original battery, 34677 miles. Pulled the old battery out and walked back into the store. They had an Interstate FAITX14H battery; matching length and width but shorter in height. Beggars (stranded bikers) can't be choosers.
Installed the battery and rode home. Had planned on buying a YTX20CH-BS when needed, but ... my battery failed with NO warning signs. Now, I will run this 14H battery until it fails.
Is it possible to buy a YTX20CH-BS and keep it on a shelf (Battery Tender connected) to be ready when needed? Obvious downside would be battery failure when out on the road, "new" battery back home in the garage. I do carry a MicroStart when on a big trip, hopefully could start bike and get
headed to the nearest shop.

I would of done the same thing and I'm a huge fan for the Yuasa battery. I bet that Interstate will give you years of service. The Yuasa YTX20CH-BS comes dry with an easy fill bottle of acid. It should last a long time on the shelf without any service.

The Yuasa YTX20CH-BS comes dry with an easy fill bottle of acid. It should last a long time on the shelf without any service.

Think I'll buy one and keep it on the shelf. Will have it on hand when the existing battery weakens. Hope it gives me some warning next time.

Think I'll buy one and keep it on the shelf. Will have it on hand when the existing battery weakens. Hope it gives me some warning next time.

I have somewhere around 18 batteries around- in use. From 4D to group 31 to lawn tractor size to motorcycle size. The only thing I can tell about predicting lifespan of any of the batteries is that it seems unpredictable. Along with that, I have found a brand that was great may not be so great the next time around.
Top choice for batteries- CAT (yeah heavy equipment batteries). Unfortunately CAT doesn't cross over to a number of sizes and none for motorcycles.
I documented an odd battery failure here a while back- https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?52968-My-battery-died-yesterday

Best advice I can offer is to have a plan consisting of OEM and crossovers plus the tools to change the battery with you- just in case.

OM

As long as you don't put the acid in it, it should last until you need it.

I don't know about the AGM batteries though

Back