• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Changing the sprockets on an F700GS 2013 any recommendations?

I just bought a 2013 F700GS, love the ride, but was thinking about changing the gearing to get a little more low end torque. It has been recommended to change the front sprocket to a 16T....just looking for comments and feedback on others who may have made any changes to the gearing. I am not a heavy offroad rider, but used to own a F650 single that was like a billy goat. Feedback welcome C

There is a F800 blog....google it it has threads on this.

The F800GS comes used to come, maybe still does , with this front sprocket. So it is widely used ...and helps with better low speed/dirt power. The trade off is RPMs on the highway.

I went the opposite on my 800gs, I don't do serious dirt so a little higher gearing fit me better.

Just so you know the results, you will increase your given RPM by a little more than 6%. So at a given gear/speed RPM would go from 4000 to 4250.

I've done both on my 09 800gs. Gearing for more torque and RPM just seemed to make the bike really vibrate at higher highway speeds. I didn't notice any real difference in acceleration or pulling power on steep hills in the Cascades where I have been busy exploring the off road possibilities . I have gone back to the factory tooth numbers.

Back