• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Counter steering

Well, I hope you all know that if counter steering doesn't work for you, you will have to "lay 'er down" sooner or later. :)

Let me put it another way. Motorcycles maintain or change their direction of travel based on complex physics. They are immune to the personal desires or idiology of the operator. They will only turn precisely if they are given input inline with the physics that govern them. If you think you are "heaving" your bike then you are simply unaware of how you are actually providing input to the motorcycle. I used to beleive the "lean to turn" mantra. My wake up call came as l was leaning into a left hand turn and travelling in a straight line heading towards a mailbox. I managed to stop before striking the mailbox. It was then l began to open my mind about motorcycle handling. If you are making turns on a motorcyle you ARE countersteering, it's how motorcycles turn, it's not something you can choose to do or not do.

Let me put it another way. Motorcycles maintain or change their direction of travel based on complex physics. They are immune to the personal desires or idiology of the operator. They will only turn precisely if they are given input inline with the physics that govern them. If you think you are "heaving" your bike then you are simply unaware of how you are actually providing input to the motorcycle. I used to beleive the "lean to turn" mantra. My wake up call came as l was leaning into a left hand turn and travelling in a straight line heading towards a mailbox. I managed to stop before striking the mailbox. It was then l began to open my mind about motorcycle handling. If you are making turns on a motorcyle you ARE countersteering, it's how motorcycles turn, it's not something you can choose to do or not do.

Well, there is that tricky little part about the contact patch (where the bike meets the pavement) and its relationship to the forks and the steering head, and how moving the handlebars moves the contact patch to initiate a lean. And of course, that whole bit about rake and trail and those things. But suffice it to say that if you ride a production motorcycle you countersteer whether you want to or not.

Well, I hope you all know that if counter steering doesn't work for you, you will have to "lay 'er down" sooner or later. :)

To quote the spokesman for a past Governor of Alabama who was explaining the Gov's wrecking his HD on the Dalton Hwy, (the spokesman described the Gov's actions as heroic), "He had to lay the bike down to avoid an accident."

To quote the spokesman for a past Governor of Alabama who was explaining the Gov's wrecking his HD on the Dalton Hwy, (the spokesman described the Gov's actions as heroic), "He had to lay the bike down to avoid an accident."

I really don't know whether to laugh or to cry. This is so pathetic.

In one of the many overplayed local tv lawyer ads , there is one that describes having to lay'er down to avoid a crash..."but I got my client $$$$$ it's just that easy":scratch

wow, I guess I am lucky. when I first learned to ride a motorcycle, in a parking lot, from my friend, after he showed me the gas,clutch,and brakes, he gave me the best motorcycle advice I ever got." Push left, go left, push right, go right." lucky for me I accepted, and embraced that advice. all you have to do is get on a straight road and give it a try!

I think that one of Neil deGrasse Tyson's quotes is applicable here...

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."

Question: You are sitting at a stop sign in the right wheel track of your lane, left foot on the ground, and you want to make a right turn. When you ease off the clutch and roll on a little throttle, should your front tire be pointed straight ahead, a little to the right, or a little to the left. Probably seems like a dumb question, but I once dropped my bike doing exactly that, on a dry paved street. Never done that before or since, but clearly I did something basically wrong, and not sure what it was. Probably my front tire was turned a little to the right.

So in this situation, should you start rolling straight forward, push to the right to make the turn, then counter-steer to the left after you have made the turn? Yes, we do this all the time without thinking - even me. But we can also do it wrong, so maybe a little thinking is not out of place. There is also a lot contradictory information on at what speed counter steering replaces normal steering. Lots of smart people here to respond. Hope you will.

At very low speeds the physics involved are not quite the same and direct steering is called for. Lee Parks explains this very well but l am a little fuzzy on the scientific explanation so I will not attempt to describe it.

At very low speeds the physics involved are not quite the same and direct steering is called for. Lee Parks explains this very well but l am a little fuzzy on the scientific explanation so I will not attempt to describe it.

Actually, you kind of did. Counter-steering is simply a slight maneuver to redirect inertia towards the direction you wish to turn.

With no momentum present while stopped, the maneuver is both different and more relaxed.

Just ride - physics will sort itself out quite well without all the handwringing. :dance

I think the real problem with counter steering is trying to conceptually understand the physics and why it works, not the fact that it does work. The "counter" in counter steering is that it is counter intuitive so that it appears to logically go against what one expects and that causes the unending discussion of the topic.

I think the real problem with counter steering is trying to conceptually understand the physics and why it works, not the fact that it does work. The "counter" in counter steering is that it is counter intuitive so that it appears to logically go against what one expects and that causes the unending discussion of the topic.

I believe that is because, as children, we learned to ride tricycles at an early age. Now after many miles on two wheels most any rider would be in a near state of panic driving a sidecar rig or three wheeler.

Actually, you kind of did. Counter-steering is simply a slight maneuver to redirect inertia towards the direction you wish to turn.

With no momentum present while stopped, the maneuver is both different and more relaxed.

Just ride - physics will sort itself out quite well without all the handwringing. :dance

My F650 (single) Dakar was interesting. More than on any other bike I found myself riding it on tight knarley switchbacks when it was right at the transition point - and at one moment it wanted direct steering and the next, at a slightly higher speed, it wanted counter steering. It was really scary until I figured it out and sped up a bit.

I think the real problem with counter steering is trying to conceptually understand the physics and why it works, not the fact that it does work.

Push right: push right handgrip forward, or at least apply a forward force to it.

This forces the front tire contact patch to the left, "tripping" the bike into falling to the right.

The bike doesn't actually fall over completely due to other factors that provide stability and resistance to falling over.

The bike begins to fall to the right which means it leans to the right, the beginning of a right turn.

You use counter-steering to immediately lean the bike in the direction you want it to lean, and turn.

Harry

Back