• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

LED Aux lighting from BMW

No, actually. They're good guys there.(BMW Manhattan) They didn't charge me for the extra time it took. I've known them for many years. Good for you doing your own work c4golf. I let the pros handle my bikes for now. I don't have the time, tools, space, desire or home situation. Maybe someday, when I retire and things settle down at home. But for now I'm excited to have good lighting on a great machine!

Kyle,

My hats off to you, owning and maintaining a bike in the city has to be one hell of pain, plus I wouldn't put up with the traffic mess. I grow up on Long Island 45 minutes to the city but it was a world apart. I live in the country on the roads I want to ride the moment I mount up.

Nice to hear you have a good dealer it means more to you and your needs then others able to do their own work or have the help of others with good work spaces.

Jay

San Marino Blue

Nice looking blue RT, Jeff. Ebony is still faster, though :)

It was Jeff's website picture that got me interested in the San Marino Blue color. I was first thinking of the Black. I think Blue is faster, it's got 125 HP, and a lot of torque. How many horsepower does your Ebony has? :brow

It was Jeff's website picture that got me interested in the San Marino Blue color. I was first thinking of the Black. I think Blue is faster, it's got 125 HP, and a lot of torque. How many horsepower does your Ebony has? :brow

Ebony is much faster the San Marino Blue, it's not carrying all the added weight of the graphics nor the wind resistance created by the graphics :brow

Jay

A big +1 on the Ebony being faster than the Blue. I should have known the graphics would've added weight/drag to the bike !

What about Piaa

Has anyone tried the Piaa LP 530. These LED lights reflect backwards into the reflector for a reported better pattern. I have tried other LED driving lights and while some have done well and the technology is getting better they throw the light out but with little focus and that has annoyed some on coming drivers. The Piaa's are supposed to alleviate that but there are not many reports on their actual performance.

It also looks like there is a good place to install amber strip lighting on the flat spot below the signal lights. That would make the bike look wider to the on coming types. Now if I could mold plastic lenses......:scratch

Has anyone tried the Piaa LP 530.

Yes. I installed a set with the fog pattern on an 09R1200RT for conspicuity and better cornering vision. They are mounted under the mirrors with BMW RTP brackets. They fill in nicely with the 65 watt H7 halogen headlight bulbs (actually an H9 on a H7 base) with a much whiter light. They replaced a set of PIAA Cross Country HIDs that failed repeatedly (under warranty).

8b871f147818c47f10d91c53ddde0a5d.jpg

feb9df1e2171a4e13c45c9ff554ed43d.jpg

474de06b0e9d56b07066f8b1168a6cb4.jpg

7999bf2cccecd50be5741f9865cd1618.jpg

Cheers!

See the switch placement

I also had Hyper lights installed. They are running lights and brake flashing. It was apparently a tricky installation due to the can bus system. But it works great now!

Please could you post a picture of the switch and how it is placed? There's an awful lot going on without any extra on the left side already.

Thanks
Ron

No switch with Hyperlites, they work off the brake light power, so are on when brake light is on as running light and brighten up and flash when brakes are applied. All automagically.

Left side switch

Thanks, I'm sure I wondered about that too. Magic has always fascinated me. But in this case I wanted to see the left side handlebar switch gear where they mounted to on-off switch for the driving lights. When I try to crop/blowup this picture it just blurs out.

Ron

Thanks, I'm sure I wondered about that too. Magic has always fascinated me. But in this case I wanted to see the left side handlebar switch gear where they mounted to on-off switch for the driving lights. When I try to crop/blowup this picture it just blurs out.

Ron

Oh your question wasn't clear. Me, I went with Clearwater and the canopener option, uses the wonder wheel and turn signal switch to adjust the light settings otherwise it too has not buttons or switches and works automagically.

Please could you post a picture of the switch and how it is placed? There's an awful lot going on without any extra on the left side already.

Thanks
Ron

Has anyone installed the aux lights themselves using the Factory Switch? I bought the switch and clamp and everything, but it's got a long cord on it like it has to be run all the way back to the Bike Brain. And then I'm told I have to have a tech turn that circuit on.

I got the Ilium mounts and put them on the Wunderlich bars. I also got Cree LED lights really cheap... 25 bucks a piece. Saved tons over other options.

If you are going to go with the BMW lights, I highly recommend installing them yourself. It is not a difficult job but will require the dealer to flash the computer. I ordered mine through Chris at All Seasons in Ohio, installed them myself, and saved hundreds compared to the quote you received.

macklinlr,

Where was the plug for the handlebar mounted switch? I'm in the process of pulling the Tupperware to track it down. Any info you have would save me wire tracing time...

Thanks

Has anyone installed the aux lights themselves using the Factory Switch? I bought the switch and clamp and everything, but it's got a long cord on it like it has to be run all the way back to the Bike Brain. And then I'm told I have to have a tech turn that circuit on.

I got the Ilium mounts and put them on the Wunderlich bars. I also got Cree LED lights really cheap... 25 bucks a piece. Saved tons over other options.

I install the BMW LED Aux lights, the wire goes behind the left front panel you will see the connection. Yes the dealer does need to activate, it's done by the computer hook up, some day the GS911 will do this...

Jay

I install the BMW LED Aux lights, the wire goes behind the left front panel you will see the connection. Yes the dealer does need to activate, it's done by the computer hook up, some day the GS911 will do this...

Jay

Jay,

Thanks for the info. I figured out where to plug it all in... Now I have a new problem...
Looking at the wiring, there are 4 wires going to each light. I didn't buy the BMW brand LED's so my lights only have the traditional 2 wires (Pos, Neg). Any idea wheat the extra 2 are for? I know that these lights go off when you use High beams so I'm assuming it has something to do with the switch... Maybe it's part of the CAN so you know when a light is out...

Stabs in the dark at this point.

Jay,

Thanks for the info. I figured out where to plug it all in... Now I have a new problem...
Looking at the wiring, there are 4 wires going to each light. I didn't buy the BMW brand LED's so my lights only have the traditional 2 wires (Pos, Neg). Any idea wheat the extra 2 are for? I know that these lights go off when you use High beams so I'm assuming it has something to do with the switch... Maybe it's part of the CAN so you know when a light is out...

Stabs in the dark at this point.

That's wild, 4 leads? Since I was all BMW it was plug and play. I'm going out of town so I may not sure if I'll have time look but I see what I can find out.

Jay

That's wild, 4 leads? Since I was all BMW it was plug and play. I'm going out of town so I may not sure if I'll have time look but I see what I can find out.

Jay

I just took a look, yep 4 wire, the brown must be the ground. I'd look closely at the switch if it's like a normal switch it will open and close the hot wire. I couldn't tell you why they have 4 wire???

Good luck

Jay

I just took a look, yep 4 wire, the brown must be the ground. I'd look closely at the switch if it's like a normal switch it will open and close the hot wire. I couldn't tell you why they have 4 wire???

Good luck

Jay

Yah, thanks Jay. I figured the same... Brown is Ground, Red w/purple is hot. Can't test it till I have them reprogram the computer. But if the other wires are canbus related I'm worried I'll get computer errors.

I may just scrap using all the factory wring, take everything back for a refund, and wire my non BMW lights off my PDM60.

I may just scrap using all the factory wring, take everything back for a refund, and wire my non BMW lights off my PDM60.

Is that what you did?

I am wrestling with the main issue: with the LED headlight, which is already an improvement, do I really need aux lights for conspicuity? BMW, or Clearwater, or Denali, all are expensive. The BMW aux lights cost more, but not that much more than the others. All are over $600.00, at least the ones that fit with the Canbus system.

Harry

Back