• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

LED tail light installation - 1978 R80/7

LED tail light installation - Demonstration on 1978 R80/7

HI! I wrote this post to show installation techniques that can be used on a variety of motorcycles, and accessories. Frequently after market (accessory) manufacturers assume minor modification such as, cutting into wiring harnesses, using insulation piercing terminals, etc. This tutorial shows how non-destructive methods can accomplish your goal. AND allow return-to-stock ability, if later desired.

In this case, if you want to restore originality, keep the terminal insulators. With a careful look at the second picture, you'll notice BMW molds the circuit number into the insulator, so you know where it should plug into the bike.

I recently bought an Emerald Island LED tail light module from Bob's BMW. I installed it in my daughter's 1978 R80/7. https://www.bobsbmw.com/store/product/emerald-island-led-brake-light-for-1970-1978-bmw-airheads

Visibility is our friend! It may not keep you from being hit, but takes away some of the excuses from anyone who might infringe on the space you occupy.

This unit came with no printed instructions. But, the info to match wire colors between the lamp and bike are on the item page on Bob's website.
The unit has fully insulated, male, 'faston' (flat blade) quick connectors crimped on the leads, and includes the fully insulated, female connectors intended to be crimped on the bike wire harness, after cutting off the original connectors from the wire leads. :nono

Having been a technician all my life :gerg, I find cutting fully functional connectors from a circuit (simply to replace them with same) to be abhorrent. The original terminals in the motorcycle harness will work with the new LED module terminals. BUT, the insulators on the originals won't fit into the shrouds of the new terminals...WHAT TO DO??? :dunno
IMG_1847.1.jpg

IMG_1844.1.jpg

We'll MAKE it fit! (without abuse).
This method will work with other bikes and accessories, so let's get started!

First TURN OFF THE IGNITION KEY! (disconnect the battery negative for double safety, if you like)
Open the tail light pod, remove the old tail light reflector assembly.

ID the wires
IMG_1843.1.jpg

On the side of the terminal where the connector sides are curled over (not the back side), use a suitable tool (I used the medium flat blade screwdriver in my Leatherman Juice) to remove the terminal cover. Slip the blade into the terminal cover as far as possible. NOTE: it will take some wiggling, etc.
IMG_1849.1.jpg

IMG_1848.1.jpg

IMG_1852.jpg

Now, draw the terminal out the back side of the terminal cover.
IMG_1853.1.jpg

We have pod light modules on the underside of the turn signals. So, here's how I connected them. Hold the appropriate pod leads to the BACK side of the female faston of the motorcycle wire harness, and tuck the wires over the end, into the terminal.
IMG_1856.1.jpg

Now the secret sauce, slip a close fitting piece of shrink tube over the motorcycle wire harness terminal, to cover the bare metal.
IMG_1854.1.jpg

The terminal with shrink tube protection should connect to the LED tail light connector with no shrinking needed. If the shrink tube is a little too big, just shrink it a bit.
IMG_1859.1.jpg

Install the new LED module and lens back into the tail light.

Stand back and enjoy the clean look of your old bike with this modern, ELECTRIC LOAD REDUCING modification. :dance

Now you will be more visible while riding. And you'll tell following vehicles to BACK OFF!!! while braking!
IMG_1861.1.jpg

Happy riding!!

Last edited:
I just installed some LED bulbs from www.superbrightleds.com. They even had a 6V 1157 brake light bulb for my /2.

I like the thing you got from Bob's, though. Seriously bright.

I've used Superbrightleds before. They supply a quality product. I gave up on finding a direct 1157 replacement the last time I was looking (a few years ago). Because, at the time, there were no sufficiently bright lamps without a heat sink that interfered with the reflector. It looks like there are some new products available.

Although substantially more costly, I think this LED array is a good choice, too. A similar item was installed in a '88 R100RT I recently bought. It is impressively bright on stop function. And, the increased surface of the array seems to make the tail function more noticeable.

Either way, the reduced load on the charging system opens up the possibility for electric clothes, or another farkle!!

Cheers,
J

I have enjoyed the addition of Hyperlights on several of my bikes. They allow for a triangle effect on brake lights. You can also use them as running lights, I think. I only use the brake light and on several have used the flashing or modulating function. They are pretty cheap and very easy to install. Go ahead and get the mounting bar, but airheads have a pretty good spot to mount them already

Thanks for the tutorial! I'll add a bit more to your title for clarity later on. It might also be more appropriate for the Airhead part of the forum...I'll see about moving it later.

78 rs

Last winter, I replaced the single bulb 78 version of the tail lights on my RS with the newer two bulb version from an 84 bike. At the same time I installed the LED system I got from Motored Electrik. Other than making a jumper wire for the extra bulb ground, it was easy and gives slightly more light.

LOL, if I hadn't had the newer twilight housing on hand in my tool box as a spare, and an itch to do something over the winter I most likely would not have bothered changing from the one to two bulb units. I did have the LED system already installed and YES, it is far better than the stock incandescent bulb, or even bulb style LED replacement bulbs.

These LED, systems are well worth the cost and effort to install. I also added the rear system from Admore lighting to both of my bikes. On my 84 RT, this replaces the old technology Cyberlight I have been running for years.

So, anyone interested in a working cyber light and a bunch of spare parts? I also have a LED tail light for a 78 RS. St.

Back