• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Annoying blinker on 2014 R1200RT

My blinker does not cancel, never has. Anybody else have this problem??

The bike needs to travel a distance (don't know the amount), it should cancel itself. Very nice, glad BMW finally has this safety feature. I still cancel myself, that too is safety...

Jay

This happened on my '11 RT. Replacing switch solved the problem. Similar switch on my '14, but mine works fine. Are you saying that you can't overide the self-canceling feature by pushing in on the switch manually? That certainly is a safety issue, as people think you are going to turn when that is not the case. The replaced switch "clicked" upon any action, whereas the funky switch did not. They've had many different versions of the switch, I've heard. My '10 RT had 3 switches replaced.

The bike needs to travel a distance (don't know the amount), it should cancel itself. Very nice, glad BMW finally has this safety feature. I still cancel myself, that too is safety...

Jay

BMW had reliable self-canceling turn signals in 1983 on the K100 in Europe and since 1985 on the K100, K75, K1100, etc.

They can be overly slow to cancel. Typically I cancel mine manually for safety reasons (don't like giving my road sharing cage occupants false messages), but nice to know if I forget they'll eventually go off.

Yup, warranty issue. I think when working they cancel after about 300 meters are travelled. As in all arbitrary numbers that is longer than some like and shorter than others like. :laugh

The 2014 manual shows auto cancel after 300m (984ft) or 10 seconds, whichever is longer. My '06 is 200m/10s, which still seems too long, so I always cancel manually.

Maniacal mystery ride

This one has always been a mystery for me . Ursula's signals seem to cancel when they feel like it. There seems to be an AI algorithm that corresponds to forces in nature other than time...i.e. Coming out of a sharp turn, gearing up it cancels right away, changing lanes at 70mph, it cancels fairly rapidly, slow, low bank angle turns... It takes forever! I swear those German engineers sprinkle pixie dust on the bike.

The 2014 manual shows auto cancel after 300m (984ft) or 10 seconds, whichever is longer. My '06 is 200m/10s, which still seems too long, so I always cancel manually.

So if you are riding faster than 67 MPH (30 meters/sec) they will cancel in 10 seconds, otherwise they will cancel in 300 meters. 20 meters/sec is about 45 MPH. All speed limits should be in meters/second :laugh

BMW had reliable self-canceling turn signals in 1983 on the K100 in Europe and since 1985 on the K100, K75, K1100, etc.

Hi Paul,

Sorry I just never went over to the dark side. Can you tell me when they started the feature for R bikes? If you remember my 02R1150RT it didn't have this feature, I was guilty of not canceling them at times.

Jay
Wills Point, TX

Hi Paul,

Sorry I just never went over to the dark side. Can you tell me when they started the feature for R bikes? If you remember my 02R1150RT it didn't have this feature, I was guilty of not canceling them at times.

Jay
Wills Point, TX

I'm not sure but it has been recent. One big hangup has been the type of speedometer drive. The K bikes referenced earlier had a magnetic pickup and electronic speedometers. The Oilheads had a cable speedometer drive and no electronics to share with the signal circuitry. Some had ABS which produced a signal but for years nothing was integrated.

Somebody who has paid closer attention than I have can identify when the R bikes got self cancelling but I suspect it was quite recent.

10 years ago. As Paul noted, the issue was the speedo drive. The hexheads changed to using the ABS tone ring as a speedo source with the GS starting in 2004. I believe that's when auto-cancel started for the R bikes.

I don't know it if it the same, but on my 2009 F800GS it has to do with speed- or at least it seems that way. On the highway, around 70mph, for an exit- 6 flashes and off. At an intersection, it will flash forever. It does vary a bit and doesn't seem linear :dunno
OM

Self cancel turn signals

On my 2012 RT, I didn't like waiting until it actually cancelled the signal, so I just got in the habit of manually turning the signal off. Much quicker and, I think, safer. The 14 RT is waiting on Russell to get the new saddle back on 11/20 so I can actually log some miles on the new machine. I'll use the same procedure on it. From what I've seen, the 14 RT doesn't shut off quick enough to suit me either.

On my 2012 RT, I didn't like waiting until it actually cancelled the signal, so I just got in the habit of manually turning the signal off. Much quicker and, I think, safer. The 14 RT is waiting on Russell to get the new saddle back on 11/20 so I can actually log some miles on the new machine. I'll use the same procedure on it. From what I've seen, the 14 RT doesn't shut off quick enough to suit me either.

I think you miss the point of self canceling turn signals. Self canceling is for safety, a blinker that stays on is a safety issue. Since it's a bike use distance as its value to cancel I would think a manufacture sets that to the max average so the blinker doesn't go off too early. It's still the riders reasonability to cancel when appropriate or even activate a second time if needed.

Jay

signal cancel

I'm not sure but it has been recent. One big hangup has been the type of speedometer drive. The K bikes referenced earlier had a magnetic pickup and electronic speedometers. The Oilheads had a cable speedometer drive and no electronics to share with the signal circuitry. Some had ABS which produced a signal but for years nothing was integrated.

Somebody who has paid closer attention than I have can identify when the R bikes got self cancelling but I suspect it was quite recent.

I had it on my 2005 RT - no issues. My 2014 RT seems slower to cancel. I manually cancel every time because of habit and 10 seconds is way too long.

My '07 and '15 RTs do auto-cancel, but take too long IMHO. So I cancel them manually most of the time.

Back