• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Bugs that chose your bike or gear as their final resting place

Deer whistles don't work with grasshoppers either

Attachments

• bug.jpg
    bug.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 235
Is it love bug season where you live?

10.jpg

Has anyone else noticed that dead bugs cleaned off the windshield smell like
dead fish?

Also right after a nice light rain...lovely!

When I lived in Houston..I sprayed PAM cooking spray on all the front facing painted & chrome surfaces of my Jeep to make cleaning the lovebugs off like on TexanRt's ride...those really make a freakin' mess

Co-worker noticed a Bee butt sticking out of the chin vent on my helmet.
Ever had a live one in your helmet? One got me as I pulled into the garage, couldn't get the helmet off fast enough, he stung me on the neck, hope he died!!!!!!!!!!!

Co-worker noticed a Bee butt sticking out of the chin vent on my helmet.
Ever had a live one in your helmet? One got me as I pulled into the garage, couldn't get the helmet off fast enough, he stung me on the neck, hope he died!!!!!!!!!!!

Rode Sunday and had 3 bees. The first two got stuck on the outside of the helmet, right at the crack where it meets the face shield. Glad I had the shield totally closed. Wasn't so lucky with the third bee - found it on the inside of the shield trying to get out. I raised the shield and away it went - and HOME I went. I'm very allergic to bee stings and figured I had tempted fate too much for one day! lol

a bit off topic

perhaps, but a neat trick for removing all those dead bugs is to use hydrogen peroxide. I use a little trigger squirter bottle to give the front end a good shot. After about five minutes they wash right off with soap and water.

I'm gonna try the peroxide! On a serious bug note, I bought some Rain-X bug remover last year(blue spray bottle) and following directions while trying to wash bugs off the front end of a vehicle I found that:
A. It doesn't work!
B. It will quickly ruin your wash mitt!

I use one of those newer ones with the little dangle loops and the stuff caused a crappy goop to form in & all over the mitt. Beware...

Sorry no pictures, but you have not lived till you ride through a storm of Florida Love Bugs. Everything facing forward on the bike, including the rider, is covered with black carcasses and big yellow smears. these things go on a mating frenzy several times a year and are so thick that you have to stop and scrape them off the windshield. Nothing removes them easily, my best system is to wait for a torrential rain storm and ride for about an hour through it. This usually cleans most of them off the bike and riding gear.

perhaps, but a neat trick for removing all those dead bugs is to use hydrogen peroxide. I use a little trigger squirter bottle to give the front end a good shot. After about five minutes they wash right off with soap and water.

another approach is a wet cloth rag, laid over your windshield and/or body work and left to soak for about 5-8 minutes.

the bugs wipe right off.

(learned this from a guy who won "cleanest bike" at a rally. he said all he does is put the rags over this bike at rest stops, keeps the bike reasonably clean so that it dolls up super nice at the rally.)

ian

Ever had a live one in your helmet?

I was travelling along a freeway at about 60 when something hit my cheek right where the padding of my open face helmet meets it, right in front of the ear. Felt like a rock had hit me. I wasn't sure if it was a bee, a horsefly, or some other kind of bug, but assumed it had become a grease spot on the side of my face.

A few miles down the road, something started tickling in my ear, then it started buzzing a little. By the time I stopped, it was a little whirlwind of buzzing and beating wings spinning round and round in my ear. It took all I could do to remain calm, but I got the helmet off and a bumble bee flew off. Him glad to be free, and I glad to have only gotten a smack on the face. Whew!

My buddy recently laid out his jacket and pants for an upcoming ride we just completed. The night before, he realized his cats used his pants as a litter box, both #1 and #2!

About half way through the Dragon at Deals gap I had a bee inside my helmet he stung me on the chin then I forced my chin out tears rolling down my face and crushed him and continued the ride without pulling over.

Back in the mid-80's I was driving south of Houston in a rental car and ran into a heavy concentration of love bugs. They were so thick that the car antenna looked like it had feathers on it from top to bottom. The front window despite frequent use of wipers and washer fluid had a yellow haze that was only removed by going thru a car wash. My worst encounters on a bike have been with june bugs. they literally are flying stones. Ride Safe :usa :usa

Try a good Kansas feed lot. Get a good cattle fly that just tanked up on a pint of good ole Bessie. they can blot out 1/2 Face shield. You learn why they have shut offs for vents. Oh and the small and taste. You can not pull over fast enough. Yet some ride without helmets. I used to carry plastic bags with wet rags to wash face shield. For me the little foil packets of wet wipes, or baby wipes are essential.

Yeech.

June bugs hurt, but have never made me hurl.

Rod

Years ago, in my early road riding days, the wife and I were riding through Zion N.P. when "something" buzzed up my short sleeve shirt(I learned!). My better half proceeded to beat the tar out of my back, where something was pinching me. After pulling over as soon as possible, we found a badly beatin' dead wasp. My back was quickly breaking out in a spider wed formation.
My nurse quickly fixed me up-Benadryl at the local CVS. I slept like a baby.
I little off base-but a bug story.

Back