• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

XM Satellite Radio Question

I have a Sirius radio, I got it because of the NFL broadcasts. The model I have is this one: http://www.xactcommunication.com . It works well, and is very small and easy to deal with. My only concern is that it does generate a lot of heat, and carrying it in a tank bag may be a bad thing.

gambrinus said:
Have folks had the same luck with Sirius? I'm leaning that way because of NFL and NHL coverage.

RW
How are the Bruins doing this year? :wave To bad, I think the season is done for. :dunno

XM reception

I made a bracket to mount my XM SkyFi to the top of my front brake reservoir, with the antenna right behind it. The antenna has a nearly clear shot to the sky, except that it must "look" through the receiver on one side, and my fiberglass fairing to the other three sides.

I get a one second signal drop out, about 70 feet after I cross under any bridge. This is significantly different than the product reviews I've read that indicate it would take a sizable tunnel to block the signal.

OTOH, I figure these reviewers are on the coasts, which is where the satellites hover, compared to the Midwest which is the electronic doldrums.

Any other Midwest XM users have less than ideal reception while moving?

Depending on the direction I am moving, my Sirius signal will drop out for a second under bridges. I like the service, and it allows me to hear my home team NFL broadcast anywhere in the US. Being on the road 1500 or so miles a week, sattelite radio rocks. No cd's to change, I get to hear music I don't own, and no commercials. No problems locating new radio stations when I lose one.

XM SkyFi2

I just got an email announcing Delphi's XM player SkyFi2 which features the ability to replay or pause live radio for 30 minutes.

So, I wonder if it can be set to use this feature as a time-delay (al a Janet Jackson), because then any tunnel under 30 minutes long ( 12 miles in the city, 30 miles in the country) would not cause a loss of signal.

merrittgene said:
Any other Midwest XM users have less than ideal reception while moving?

I have a Hoon bracket on my brake fluid reservoir that holds my XM Roady and its antenna. I find that my body (probably just my head) blocks the signal when I ride north, so I end up leaning to one side or another to maintain contact with the satellite(s).
Other than that, I have no signal problems here in central Indiana.

IndyGT said:
I have a Hoon bracket on my brake fluid reservoir that holds my XM Roady and its antenna. I find that my body (probably just my head) blocks the signal when I ride north, so I end up leaning to one side or another to maintain contact with the satellite(s).
Other than that, I have no signal problems here in central Indiana.

Yes, in my experience satellite must have "line-of-site" to work. Same is true of DishNetwork TV. The satellites are close enough to the SouthEast horizon that mountains, body, tank bag, anything in the way will block coverage.
I didn't understand the E/M to mean there's a 1/2 hour delay in the broadcast. I understood it to mean there's a hard drive capable of recording 1/2 hour of broadcasting in MP3 format. For instance if you want to get that Jimmy Page interview that's on while your boss is rattling off some incoherent blather.

Roady 2

I bought an XM Roady 2 about 1 1/2 months ago and love it. It runs through my Collett Platinum 900 (http://www.collettcommunicators.com/) with the antenna on the fairing. I keep the XM unit in my tank bag (no worries about rain) and this keeps me from trying to change channels without pulling over. I get dropouts sometimes when rounding mountains, but never have a problem on flat land. BLUEGRASS - 24 HR PER DAY!!!!! :clap

Back