• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

My No Reception XM radio problem has been resolved!!!

motodan

Like many of us, I had a NO reception problem with XM radio. And like many of you, I got tired of hearing just about every dealer tell me, "We've never heard of that before, gee bring it in several times and we'll see if we can trial & error it to a fix." I purchased an after market XM antenna for $32.00 from Amazon. Unplugged the OEM (pink) antenna cable and this aftermarket plugged right into the OEM slot. Attached antenna under tail rack as in picture with two way tape...and TA DA! Works great regardless of direction riding, degree of windshield elevation or comments from far away dealers (yes I am ranting some). The $32 paid for this is what it cost me in gas for one trip to dealer, so I am ahead as it would have taken multiple trips to solve this problem...at least when using BMW's protocol. My video would not load, but here's a pix of where I mounted antenna.

Let me add, if using a top box or other potential covering over any area where mounted, there's a good chance such covering will cause interference.

Attachments

• IMG_8485.jpg
    IMG_8485.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 481
Last edited:
I'm glad that location is working out for you. I ride with a top case I'm afraid it wouldn't work covered up with the case and its contents, a bag would also interfere with the reception. I know another rider that is happy with this location so it will work for for some.

I'm glad that location is working out for you. I ride with a top case I'm afraid it wouldn't work covered up with the case and its contents, a bag would also interfere with the reception. I know another rider that is happy with this location so it will work for for some.

This antenna weighs next to nothing, wouldn't a little bit of velcro do the trick? Stick it here or there or anywhere?

It works well under the rack (on top of taillight assembly). Of course if you use the rack for its primary purpose (holding something) it will no doubt interfere with signal. And you could place it anywhere you desire with adequate cable length and the time/trouble to route it. I liked popping the seat, plugging in and running cable 2 feet to the top of taillight assembly. Took longer for me to find the FOB than complete that little project.

Attachments

• IMG_8492.jpg
    IMG_8492.jpg
    346.1 KB · Views: 400
  • IMG_8493.jpg
    IMG_8493.jpg
    312.2 KB · Views: 399
  • IMG_8494.jpg
    IMG_8494.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 405
  • IMG_8491.jpg
    IMG_8491.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 408
  • IMG_8495.jpg
    IMG_8495.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 412
Yep, that's the ticket!

The XM reception was almost non-existent with the stock setup.

Ordered up the antenna, mounted it in about 60 seconds and it works perfectly now.

I double side taped it to the rear plate just outside of the tour pack so that the bags and pack can both be removed without dealing with the new antenna mounting.

AD

Radio location on a 2011 R1200Ry

Can anyone tell me where and how to access the radio so I can add the aftermarket SiriusXM antenna? Thanks.

2011 R1200 RT

Last edited:
Plugging new XM antenna in

Motodan,

Did you have any issues plugging you new antenna in? I have a similar XM antenna from an old XM receiver I have that I could move between my cars. The antenna plug looks the same as the unit you got from Amazon. I wasn't able to plug it into the receptacle that the pink cable plugs into.

Like your experience, the XM reception on my 2023 R1250 RT isn't very good. It fades in and out. If there are any trees lining the road, the signal disappears. It even drops when I am in areas that are clear. Bit disappointing to say the least. The XM worked pretty good on my 1600 GT.

Thanks for your help.

Addressing XM Radio Reception

On your 2023 RT ask your dealer to do a warranty correction by installing a different receiver. The replacement receiver is the same as you had or have on your GT. The replacement part fits in the mushroom on your bike. My dealer replaced mine before I took a 4700 mile ride and it performed as you would expect. Since then I have removed the auxiliary receiver I had added to the top of my tail trunk. Here is a photo what your dealer needs to order220BA0B7-1D1B-42C1-AD95-BB7FB1051970.jpg

On your 2023 RT ask your dealer to do a warranty correction by installing a different receiver. The replacement receiver is the same as you had or have on your GT. The replacement part fits in the mushroom on your bike. My dealer replaced mine before I took a 4700 mile ride and it performed as you would expect. Since then I have removed the auxiliary receiver I had added to the top of my tail trunk. Here is a photo what your dealer needs to orderView attachment 90005

Darrell,

Thanks very much for the quick response and information. I'll talk with my dealer next week.

Warranty XM Receiver

Motodan,

I stopped by my BMW dealer and provided the part number that you provided. When they looked it up, they said it was for a 2017 RT and since it was a down revision from what is installed in my 2023 RT they wouldn't be able to warranty the repair. Did your dealer have any issues with the warranty claim for your repair. The dealership claimed there were no comments on BMW's dealer net with regards to the XM reception issue and that they had not had heard of any complaints about this particular issue. There seem to be enough posts on the MOA forum to dispute this claim.

I haven't looked at the details involved with changing the antenna but I am considering buying the part and installing myself.

Any additional information you might be able to provide would be appreciated.

Regards,

Motobob

I have a 2022R1250RT, like you the SiriusXM antenna didn't work very well. My dealer worked with BMW, it was BMW that came up with the replacement antenna. The replacement was 65218521436, same as the one mention earlier. The antenna was in all WetHead RT's, my 2014 had it. I'm happy with the reception I now have.

Motodan,

I stopped by my BMW dealer and provided the part number that you provided. When they looked it up, they said it was for a 2017 RT and since it was a down revision from what is installed in my 2023 RT they wouldn't be able to warranty the repair. Did your dealer have any issues with the warranty claim for your repair. The dealership claimed there were no comments on BMW's dealer net with regards to the XM reception issue and that they had not had heard of any complaints about this particular issue. There seem to be enough posts on the MOA forum to dispute this claim.

I haven't looked at the details involved with changing the antenna but I am considering buying the part and installing myself.

Any additional information you might be able to provide would be appreciated.

Regards,

Motobob

Dealer didn't help me, I purchased the aftermarket antenna and did the simple install. I suggest you find a dealer who provides decent customer service...or at least has someone on the team that has a computer along with an interest in what's going on with regard to BMW Forums. I know the dealer I first approached wrote the problem up and submitted it to BMW. However, I was able to remedy the situation without further visits to that 160 mile away dealer.

Yep, that's the ticket!

The XM reception was almost non-existent with the stock setup.

Ordered up the antenna, mounted it in about 60 seconds and it works perfectly now.

I double side taped it to the rear plate just outside of the tour pack so that the bags and pack can both be removed without dealing with the new antenna mounting.

AD
I take it the XM receiver on these RT's are under the seat?

Back