• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Can You Put A Fuel Guage On An Early '85 K100?

C

Carguz

I've noticed some "unused" connectors under the tank. A fuel guage would be very nice vs. the orange and red. Not critical but nice. Is there a way or is this better forgotten....

Carlos

Fuel Gauge on '85

To install a fuel gauge on an '85 would require the purchase of an '86 on tank and float-style level sensor, along with some wiring modification.

An alternate solution is to get an improved fuel light circuit board. This deletes the 7 liter warning and adds a delay to the 4 liter light. This eliminates the premature switching on of the 4 liter light.

There used to be a company called "fuel plus" that made a fuel gauge for the 85 K. I am not sure if they are still in business and making them or not.

Possibly do a search for "fuel plus" or "fuel +.

I must be the odd duck since the two lights don't bother me. They get my attention much quicker than the fuel gauge on my LT.

Roy

The '86 tank will not go directly on the '85 frame, since the tank rear mounts are different. You also will need a new board in the instrument cluster, and considerable rewiring since the tank/harness connections are on opposite corners of the tanks (85 is front left, 86 on is right rear.)

IMHO - not worth it. Try to find someone with a used FuelPlus..

There used to be a company called "fuel plus" that made a fuel gauge for the 85 K. I am not sure if they are still in business and making them or not.

Possibly do a search for "fuel plus" or "fuel +.

I must be the odd duck since the two lights don't bother me. They get my attention much quicker than the fuel gauge on my LT.

Roy

They were out of production for about 2 years but this summer introduced a brand new model, version 4. I have one on my bike (K1100LT) and just wrote a review for the BMW ON that appeared in this months (Nov 08) edition.

www.fuelplus.com

The price might seem kind of high, but buying a new fuel gauge from BMW is $191 (http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=30741). I've been watching for a used one and they are difficult to find (my K1100LT's has a bad lens) and then you have all the other stuff mentioned to worry about, and you STILL will not get the accuracy, convenience, and additional features of the Fuel+

((just a satisfied customer, no ties, the usual disclaimers, blah blah blah))

Back