• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

intermittent gear slippage

vroomhilda

Greetings. I recently acquired another 95' K75 with what looks to be very low mileage (30K). I am experiencing intermittent gear slippage from 1st gear into neutral. All the other gears are tight. Any suggestions as to where to start trouble-shooting would be greatly appreciated.

Greetings. I recently acquired another 95' K75 with what looks to be very low mileage (30K). I am experiencing intermittent gear slippage from 1st gear into neutral. All the other gears are tight. Any suggestions as to where to start trouble-shooting would be greatly appreciated.
Greetings!

Question - can you describe this a bit better?

If you mean it pops out of 1st into neutral - under what conditions does this happen?

You might have a worn shift drum, or you might need a slightly different shifting technique to keep it from happening.. better description of the problem would help..

The slippage occurs when throttling up for the next gear shift. There is nothing really special or unique about the conditions surrounding the event that I can think of to describe. I would definitely describe it as "poping" out of gear.

I don't quite understand "throttling up for the next gear shift" (I'm slow on Thursdays sometimes..) Do you mean when accelerating in gear before up shifting?

If so - sounds like bent clutch forks or worn shift drum.

Do make sure your toe isn't doing it - I have known people who had their toe under the shifter getting ready to shift and actually were putting a bit of pressure on the shifter without knowing it. You could try moving your toe to the footpeg and try to reproduce the actions that cause the jump out of gear.

The slippage occurs when throttling up for the next gear shift. There is nothing really special or unique about the conditions surrounding the event that I can think of to describe. I would definitely describe it as "poping" out of gear.

yes - accelerating in gear before up shifting. I will pay extra special attention to the position of my shifting foot and will definitely employ your foot to foot peg idea to try and replicate the event. Hopefully it is just a case of user error. I have been know to make a lot of them. thx for the great advice. I will post my findings.

when i first bought my K11RS, it would jump out of gear (from 2 to N) after an upshift, soon after i began the acceleration. turned out to be my fault, in that i just wasn't being firm enough on the upshift. (and that was after 70K miles of K75 riding. go figure!)

Aside from basic technicque, there may be other factors that can cause this. A new pair of boots with a different thickness sole will change the position of your foot on the peg in relation the the shifter. New footpeg rubbers will do the same.

Back